B&W Mod!

What have we been thinking?!?! Somebody get their Photoshop filters working overtime and change all the .bmps to black and white so that CM looks like it's staight out of the old films!

------------------

Have you ever tried to buy an atomic bomb? They're expensive as hell, even without wheels!

Hey,

I had thought about that too! I don't think I would really like all the graphics like that for more than a day or two though.

I have been working on my first mod though, which is a B&W unit portrait conversion using real WWII photos.

When I finish it, I will make it available.

Chris

------------------

What the hell is a Jagdcarcajou?

Geez Louise.. this might have potential. If all the textures were done in 256 greyscale might there be a big difference in graphic speed? Seems to me there would be. Anyone?

------------------

The only thing new in the world is the history you don't know - HS Truman

That's funny you brought that up I was thinking about that yesterday. I was wondering what it'd look like. And I kept imagining a voice over while I was playing, like one of those dudes that used to narrate the film clips of the war during the saterday matinees in the 40's.

"The Jerries thought they had our boys in a vice. But UncleSam and Army know how are more than a match for the Third Reich! Take that Hitler!" Bombadom dadom dadom dom dom

Mord

[This message has been edited by Mord (edited 10-25-2000).]

carnage2.jpg

i dunno...sounds like a good idea but here's a snapshot i converted to b&w...

actually i think i'll post any future screenshots in b&w...

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 10-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 10-25-2000).]

The pic looks cool but I wouldn't wanna play that way.

to answer Karch's question. Yeah It is weird to see color photos of WWII, though I am more used to them in the Pacific Theatre than from the WF or EF.

Mord

I know this isn't a serious topic, but I have some serious thoughts on the matter.

Russell's picture illustrates an important issue - without colour, everything merges together and it becomes more difficult to work out what you're looking at. Monochrome is fine for films, as these are artistic and the director spends a lot of time thinking about where to point the camera. But where a control interface is concerned, and what you see hasn't been carefully chosen beforehand, monochrome is just a plain hindrance.

Karch brings up an important point - the vast majority of visual records from the war are monochrome, so we end up feeling that the war was fought in black and white. This is unfortunate, and I think we should all make every effort to picture the war as it really was, not as it has been presented to us.

Serious mode OFF - two comments: Sepia and Contrast. Plain monochrome is a bit bland, and when you remove colour, you need something else to provide definition.

David

button.gif

------------------

Somewhere between a joke and a conspiracy

Working with remote sensing, I've read that the human eye can only distinguish between roughly 16 shades of gray (plus black and white), so having 256 shades of gray would be a bit of overkill. I think a B&W mod would make it tough to discern fine details, but would make for some cool "retro" screenshots.

i wa swondering:

are pics like my screenshot too big? it loads up fine on my school's bad-ss connection, but how long does it take on 56k modems?

should the images be smaller, like half the size i got nnow

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

A comment from 03/29/2000, just after the promo reel for CM came out:

"One thing that came to mind while watching the movie (repeatedly, obsessively) was "how would this look with the color filtered out?" I.e. a black and white version of the movie - really start to blur the line between CGI and reality. Maybe there's a filter that can be applied to .avi's that could do this. We could end up not just with movies, but "newsreels" and "documentaries"

L4Pilot (have to go unlimber my 4x5 Speed Graphic)"

And I still think it's a neat idea!

[This message has been edited by L4Pilot (edited 10-26-2000).]

If need be, I'll do it, as I have Photoshop and can operate a darned filter as well as anyone. I don't think it will look quite like the filtered still up there but if it does, so be it. For me, one of the things I loved about those old black and white reels was that things were blurred together a bit and the action was messy and confusing. The only issues I see are that, this being a total mod like Gunslingers, the size of it is going to be tremendous. 16 color may be good enough but I've got a sneaking suspicion it won't look right. I'll post screenshots when I'm done.

------------------

Seen in the light of evolution, biology is, perhaps, intellectually the most satisfying and inspiring science. Without that light it becomes a pile of sundry facts—some of them interesting or curious but making no meaningful picture as a whole.

-Theodosius Dobzhansky, "Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution"

Mannheim Tanker wrote:

> I've read that the human eye can only distinguish between roughly 16 shades of gray

This does not mean that an image with only 16 shades of grey will look as good as one with 256. I expect it means that, presented with blocks of colour, you could only pick out 16 which were obviously different from each other.

Elijah Meeks wrote:

> What hard-coded images?

The unit bases spring to mind...

> If need be, I'll do it, as I have Photoshop and can operate a darned filter as well as anyone.

Anyone with a Mac can just switch their monitor to greyscale. I don't know if you can do that with PCs.

David

button.gif

------------------

I was thinking of this too but thougt that a Technicolor-style mod would be cooler. Bright but pale colours. Haven´t really gotten around to do it yet though...

------------------

Spending extravagant amounts of money for marginal improvements is only acceptable in the fields of racehorses and fancy women.

-Lord Kelvin

gaffertape wrote:

> Anyone know about the potential 'speeding up' of the game if we converted the bmps to B&W?

The game will still run in 16-bit even if the bitmaps are monochrome. You can improve performance by making the bitmaps physically smaller, but colour depth is irrelevant.

David

------------------