Bright versus Subdued, what is your preference?

Being introduced to the toned down graphics of gunslinger's mod for the first time this weekend, I found myself drawn to it because it was easier on my poor eyes. I use only the terrain, I leave the vehicles, guns, and infantry the same so they are sure to "stand out". Some folks say more realistic, but others find too gray and dark. I have to agree that on sunny days, it actually is too dark. However, with fog, its great.

I've been using it because of my eye strain, not a reason for being more "realistic". Wondering why others like to use it and how many have already switched back?

I do find it unusual how the British tanks seem to love the darker hue, those shermans blend in quite well. That was an extra benefit to me, those allied tanks look much better in the subdued colored environment.

Any other reasons one would prefer it?

SUBTLE AND TONED DOWN IS THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i like the realistic mods better than the brighter ones...

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

I prefer the toned-down mods largely because of my monitor. The LCD screen on my laptop is a nice little thing, but colors often feel too bright and cartoony on it. Not just with CM, but with all apps. So the toned-down mods look just about right for me.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

When I first showed the CM beta demo to people...they said it looked like south park.

A lot has changed in other areas, but the subdued color schemes are key, in my opinion..

Even if this game had the visual quality of South Park, it would still be the best tactical wargame on the market.

I'd forgotten how my original CM looked so in answer to this question i loaded the original back on and compared it to my current version which mainly comprises of Gunslingers "subdued mod" and Tigers vehicle mods (the best). There is IMO no contest. CM looks much better thanks to the hard work put in by mod authors.

Guest Warphead-

MY tanks will only drive through fresh and spicy GREEN grass. I must have exchanged every .bmp by now but I still like it with stronger colours. I suppose I am the only one... wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

I prefer the toned-down mods largely because of my monitor. The LCD screen on my laptop is a nice little thing, but colors often feel too bright and cartoony on it. Not just with CM, but with all apps. So the toned-down mods look just about right for me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that is a factor

I have an LCD screen on a Mac Powerbook and Gunslinger's toned down mods look GREAT.

It alll depends on your monitor and what kind of colours you prefer to look at. I prefer Gunslinger's terrain and Kump's building and tree's and Tiger's vehicle Mods.

And this is ONE of the BEST things about this game, we can all play it on a level playing feild and each player can look at it on their own computer ANYWAY they want, South Park cartoon characters or not. The Modifiable textures are great and it is one of this game greatest strenghts!

Thanks to all the dedicated Mod makers and Artists and lets not forget ColCoolJ who was one of the first. (he has a credit in the mannual)

Every one has there own opinion and when it comes to modded textures you can express that opinion any way you wnat on your own game!.

-tom w

Hey Tom, those are Magua's buildings, not any effort from me. It was those things of beauty that got me moving to do something.

Personally, the trees I just did in one night seems to be a colored version trying very hard to be monochome. I'm still not happy frown.gif Too much gray. The two autumn trees are the only ones I'm happy with. The summer trees were still better than the earlier one shade for all type, so I made it available quickly as I continue to muck.

Well, back to some additional and careful effort. I'm going to play with the summer trees again and try to bring back more green but keep dark shadows. Will I ever be happy? Heck no! Sounds like Magua may also be working on trees. Hope so. I'd like to see other attempts with these summer trees.

As for the grass, I agree, it is a bit odd. It sure needs to be more green, but subdued. I tried it. Man, its a tough one. The greener I make it, the more it "glows". I found myself running back to Gunslinger's color, because it is just so much easier on the eyes. Guess I'll keep trying. Should be some compromise for those not happy with the present subdued grass.

[This message has been edited by kump (edited 10-25-2000).]

I use Tigers vehicle and terrain mods,Maguas building mods,Gunslingers tree mods,and DeanCos interface mod.I've left the grass alone because I like the original colors.

Kump I plan to get yuor fall tree mod but I can't get the FTP to work.

------------------

Nicht Schiessen!!

[This message has been edited by Splinty (edited 10-25-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz:

SUBTLE AND TONED DOWN IS THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i like the realistic mods better than the brighter ones...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good lord, man. You can't shout the words 'subtle' and 'toned down'.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

When I first showed the CM beta demo to people...they said it looked like south park.

A lot has changed in other areas, but the subdued color schemes are key, in my opinion..

Even if this game had the visual quality of South Park, it would still be the best tactical wargame on the market.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"This tank is mihn. I won't commit it to the attack because it's mihn, not yours. Mihn... GODDAMNIT KYLE! WILL YOU GET YOUR PLATOON OVER THAT HILL AND KILL THOSE KRAUTS?!? Ah screw this I'm going home."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pham911:

"This tank is mihn. I won't commit it to the attack because it's mihn, not yours. Mihn... GODDAMNIT KYLE! WILL YOU GET YOUR PLATOON OVER THAT HILL AND KILL THOSE KRAUTS?!? Ah screw this I'm going home."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES!

I would actually like to hear South Park voices on the Yank soldiers in CM.

Now that would be entertaining!

"They Killed KENNY!" everytime someone dies! smile.gif

I'm sure we can find some things to say instead of Yjah! or "Got him" when they score a hit!

Too Funny!

-tom w

I personally prefer the brighter colors, as the "toned down" ones look much too gray to me. On overcast mornings it looks like the toned down bmps, but right now it's sunny out late afternoon here. Very bright. Remember that CM tones down (or up) the lighting based on whether it's overcast, night, morning, or day, raining or foggy. When you reduce the hue you're also reducing the overall brightness. When you raise the brightness you're making the color come out more. I noticed with real trees they are usually brightly lit on the outside and progressively a little darker on the interior. With CM I'm not sure if this can be acheived as the tree models are really just 2-d flat objects that rotate whenever you move around them.

-johnS

My roommate who is a programmer at Relic took one look at CM and said that it looks like they need better lighting badly. Toned down would definitely save the look a bit. However, the more I play it the more I want the units to stand out because I am playing a game dammit, not a painting and I want to be able to see everything. smile.gif

------------------

----

To download my scenarios: go to

http://www3.telus.net/pop_n_fresh/combatmiss/index.htm

For me, it is not so much a matter of brighter but of less saturated colors. Around here you don't see grass/foliage with as much yellow as the original, Gunslinger's seems to bring it down from the bright yellow-green to a more brown-green mix, which looks more realistic to me on my machine (also a PowerBook).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pham911:

Good lord, man. You can't shout the words 'subtle' and 'toned down'.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually that was a bit of ironic humor on my part...but you didn't get it...now i feel bad... frown.gif

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

I have to say that although I'm impressed with Gunslinger's magnum opus (grabbed it on my DSL during it's brief time up late last week), it seems to have been passed by many of the newer mods, and I loaded it, looked at it and filed it away.

I especially noticed the very monochrome grass (subdued, yes, but very monochrome), which to me is not nearly a good as Richard Tremblatt's (SP?? Sorry Richard) Velvet grass. Richard knew that A.)The 20 textures in CM for grass are used in a specific way (increasing BMP number for increasing elevation), and B.) higher elevations are drier looking than valleys. He therefore gave us a mod that NATURALLY models elevation in the game - hills are a dry looking yellow and brown and valleys are lush and green. Brilliant.. and totally missing in the other grass mods, including Gunslinger's. I will agree that for me a bit of toning down of Richard's Velvet would be even better, but given the choice I think it's no contest.

Currently I use Richard's Velvet, Marco and Tigers' high-res vehicles, Magua's buildings, and several other misc. mods (Deth's snowy wall and some of the weapon and uniform mods for example), all applied over both of Matt's Mod Paks. I think I'm getting a much more realistic look than pure "Gunslinger".

I do think Kump's autumn trees are a further step, and once they are distributed I plan to add them to my "eclectic" mod mix.

Best of all, I'm confident that it will only get better and better as the mod community learns more and more. biggrin.gif

- Old Dog

[This message has been edited by Old Dog (edited 10-25-2000).]