FSAA Screenshot anyone?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were you, I'd stick with a Geforce 2 card. The game runs excellent at 1024x748 with FSAA enabled. It also looks better than 1600x1200 rez standard!!!! No lie. While not as quick as the V5 5500 with FSAA enabled in other games (in CM, it doesn't matter as much as it's doesn't require as high a frame rate as a FPS), It does kick the V5's a$$ in everything else. FSAA has some ways to go before it's fast enough not to hit the frame rates in either card..... I was going to post an FSAA screen shot, but without posting a huge sized picture, you can't really see details enough to see a difference. I will tell you one thing:

I will never play this game again without FSAA! I really mean that. It makes that much of a difference.

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

I can't argue with you on that, Tiger. I used to live by Voodoo cards, but the V5 can't match anywhere near the frame rates that a G2 can. FSAA isn't a good enough reason to settle for a card that is only as fast as a standard Geforce card. I'm just saying that I'm happy with the FSAA of the Geforce 2 card on CM. It WON'T match a V5 with FSAA on other games.....

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

I did put a :P in there; and wasn't the geforce released like 6 just months earlier than the gf2? I don't think framerate is all important unless your playing FPS', and even then I used to play FPS' pretty good with older cards than we have today. Both companies make excellent cards, choose whichever makes you happiest smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>No Nvidia post please, I gave mine away to my mom. nuff said.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-john

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 10-31-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Teamski:

If I were you, I'd stick with a Geforce 2 card. The game runs excellent at 1024x748 with FSAA enabled.

-Ski

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a GeForce GTS 32mb. What on earth is FSAA and how do I enable it??

The card was part of my new Dell, I have no documentation on it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

Check my "New Weathered Firefly tank for download" post. Both those pics are in 4x 3dfx fsaa. Regardless of what the nvidiots ( :P ) say, the fsaa of the voodoo 5 is implemented much better than the geforce.

-john<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's it??? I mean, I don't want to sound like a boob but, that's all FSAA does??? I thought there'd be, well, more.

------------------

I've got far more annoying things than that up my sleeve.

-Meeks

You must wear awfully loose shirts to fit an oompah band up your sleeve.

-Chrisl

Full Screen Anti-Aliasing

It sharpens the graphics and makes the game look sooo much better. I can E-Mail you a utility that allows you to select FSAA on the fly (trust me, you won't want to use it on most games, on the G2 it's too slow except for CM) Let me know Your E-Mail and it's yours....

Elijah:

JPGs screw the image up enough that you can't see the difference. But FSAA does one hell of a job eliminating "glitter" and boy, does the game look sharp.

-Ski

(Sorry Tiger........)

-Ski

------------------

[This message has been edited by Teamski (edited 10-31-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Teamski:

Full Screen Anti-Aliasing

It sharpens the graphics and makes the game look sooo much better. I can E-Mail you a utility that allows you to select FSAA on the fly (trust me, you won't want to use it on most games, on the G2 it's too slow except for CM) Let me know Your E-Mail and it's yours....

Elijah:

JPGs screw the image up enough that you can't see the difference. But FSAA does one hell of a job eliminating "glitter" and boy, does the game look sharp.

-Ski

(Sorry Tiger........)

-Ski

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, man, E-mail's on the profile.

------------------

I've got far more annoying things than that up my sleeve.

-Meeks

You must wear awfully loose shirts to fit an oompah band up your sleeve.

-Chrisl

Baah, humbug!

FSAA is over-rated, in CM and otherwise. If you want a sharp image, crank up the resolution.

The best available picture is obtained by cranking the resolution as high as possible. I run CM at 1600x1200, and I have never seen any glitches, but then, I have a GeForce 2, and not one of those Voodoo thingies 8).

Jeff Heidman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

Baah, humbug!

FSAA is over-rated, in CM and otherwise. If you want a sharp image, crank up the resolution.

The best available picture is obtained by cranking the resolution as high as possible. I run CM at 1600x1200, and I have never seen any glitches, but then, I have a GeForce 2, and not one of those Voodoo thingies 8).

Jeff Heidman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I hate getting into these debates because it's all so subjective. But...here goes.

Some people do not have monitors that support 1600x1200 or anything higher than 1280x1024 for that matter. If you do, then some people do not have the cpu to drive such a high resolution. And if you do, then there are still jaggies and pixel popping, no matter how high the resolution. Screen shots do not do FSAA justice. You have to see it in motion. And if all you've seen is the nVidia implementation of FSAA, then you're not seeing it done right and your statement about it being overrated is probably correct for your card.

So, in a game like CM where speed is not an issue, I'll take my V5 5500 anyday of the week. Oh, and I only need one driver to make it work with all games I play.

The original poster asked that this not turn into a nVidia vs. 3dfx discussion. Why do you guys insist on turning it into one?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Sabrewolf. I do not know how to post screenies on this forum. But if you send me your email address, I can send you some screenshots. But as I said above, screenshots do not do it justice. Nevertheless, the screenshot illustrates the smoothness of 4X FSAA provided you're used to watching it without FSAA.

Juardis is absolutely right.

I didn't want to jump in either. You can't show a still screenshot and see what FSAAx4 is all about.

The pixel pops show at any resolution, especially a line which is near horizontal or vertical. You don't see it in a still shot. You really see it as the line adjust and the screen updates.

FSAA done right smooths this out and it looks like a painting moving. You have to sit down at my computer with my V5500 and 21 inch monitor and you walk away a believer.

I'll never be able to prove it by a still shot, though they look good too. Don't knock it till you try it.

------------------

Garry Kump

Kump's CM Outpost

I dig the FSAA myself. It's the kind of thing where you turn it on, and you think you see a subtle difference in the game but you're not sure. Then you turn it off and take another look. Then you go back and turn it on again, and leave it on! I run at 1024x768 with FSAA turned up about halfway (Celeron 500, 128 RAM, GeForce 256) and it really looks the biz. Like a painting in motion, someone said...that's right.

DeanCo--

OK, so many people can't be wrong, right?

I will bow to pressure and try it again. Reviews have said that FSAA implemented through the latest NVidia Det 3 drivers is as good as the Voodoo FSAA. I will play my next few days of CM PBEM turns with 4x FSAA on, and see what happens.

I wonder how far I will have to drop my resolution? Hopefully not at all, since I have a 64MB GTS and an Atholn run at 1.1 GHz. Is 4x FSAA doable on a very high end machine at 1600x1200x32?

Jeff Heidman

Hi Jeff,

OK, theoretically you will be able to drop the resolution and still have a beautiful image. When you think about it it's just 2 ways of doing the same thing. High resoultions make the pixels smaller and FSAA smooths them out. When I play Rally Championship I put it on 640x480 to keep the framerate high (driving game) and the FSAA still gives me a good picture. But...wow, 1600x1200 32 bit FSAA 4x...holy cow... my brain is reeling...

DeanCo--

Deanco, that was my original point. Given the choice between a low resolution "fudging" of a picture with FSAA, and just accomplishing the same thing by cranking the resolution way up, I have found that cranking the resolution works better.

Not to mention that you have to set FSAA and then unset it when you want to play a game where FSAA is going to be undesirable.

But, I am will give it another chance. Supposedly a game like CM should be almost ideal for FSAA, i.e. a large, relatively open visual area.

Jeff Heidman

I would think if you had a little bit of both it would be even better. But you will take a serious frame hit with FSAA enabled (esp at that resolution) so you'll probably have to experiment a bit to find the right combo platter...

Me, I don't like how Nvidia buried the FSAA control in a sub-sub-sub-submenu of the video properties. It's a pain in the butt to turn on/off.

DeanCo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

I wonder how far I will have to drop my resolution? Hopefully not at all, since I have a 64MB GTS and an Atholn run at 1.1 GHz. Is 4x FSAA doable on a very high end machine at 1600x1200x32?

Jeff Heidman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW! That's quite a machine you got there. Don't know the answer to your questions, but if any machine can do it, yours should be able to. BTW, why 32 bit color on your desktop and in CM? Seems you could change that to 16 bit and get half your frame rates back, especially since CM is 16 bit color. Do you do that for other games or just because you can? smile.gif

------------------

Jeff Abbott

On my machine (PIII 800, G2 GTS, 128MB) with FSAA enabled, at 1024x768, the game looks a lot better than 1600x1200 without it enabled.I don't lose any fps at the lower rez and have NO jagged lines. Even at 1600x1200, the game has some major glitter, not so with FSAA even at a lower rez. I run at 2x2, anything higher and the game blurs quite a bit.

I use the Geforceaaset utility, so I switch FSAA on the fly within windows before opening up the program. It's that easy, one click and I'm in. Once I'm out of CM (which is rarely), I click FSAA off with a click on the start-up bar.... Like I said before, I wouldn't waste my time using FSAA in any other game with my Geforce 2, but in CM, it makes an awesome difference....

------------------