CD Required?!!!!!

A minor gripe but....

After paying $53 bucks for a manual and a CD, you would think that maybe Big Time might have skipped the copy protection. Again, I don't mean to complain because the game is a marvel, but couldn't they trust users not to pirate this thing? As we all know, anyone with enough determined and a CD-burner will figure out a way around any copy protection. Also, let's face it, we wargamers are a lonely breed. It ain't all together likely that our friends and neighbors will be beating down our door for a free copy either.

Ok, a quick rant. And to be fair, I have to say that Big Time certainly lavished far more attention and work (which equals cost) on this thing than they had to. I appreciate that and understand them wanting to protect their investment, I just don't think that "CD-required" was necessary.

Calvin

Guest KwazyDog

Calvin, it would be great is everybody is as honest as you, but unfortunately that isnt the case. The CD protection stops casual pirating and stops people from simply installing it on their friends computers without any problems (like finding someone with a CD bruner).

I agree is would be nice not to have to insert the CD in the drive to run CM, but if overall it means 1 more sale to BTS for all the hard work put into CM then Im willing to make the effort smile.gif

Welcome to our collective Calvin, but I must disagree with you regarding the copy protection. I don't see what's the big deal in requiring to have the cd in the drive in order to play the game. As for BTS, and in my personal opinion only, I strongly disagreed with them on copy protection. I would have had something more powerful to at least make is differcult to copy the game. It is in our collective best interest for BTS to do VERY WELL sales wise. That way we get what we want the most. CM2-Eastern Front. With all of their hard work and the support team of testers backing them up they deserve every penny for every CD rolled out the doors. Just my 2 cents.

(I already know they sold out, for me thats not the issue here, only the protection of the best land based war game evermade to date)

sniperscope

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Calvin:

I have to say that Big Time certainly lavished far more attention and work (which equals cost) on this thing than they had to. I appreciate that and understand them wanting to protect their investment, I just don't think that "CD-required" was necessary.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have been assimilated

'lo all,

Actually, I agree with the point that several of you made that BTS needs to protect their investment and we all benefit from this, as it makes it that much more likely that they will continue the series (Eastern Front! maybe even the Pacific?). Moreover, BTS has just proved that small software houses can cater to "special interest" groups like ourselves. Hey, I'm ecstatic that this is the case! It's the grognards revenge.

So, as I said above, it's a minor gripe. I just don't think requiring the CD to be in the drive is all that effective when piracy for a title like this is rather unlikely. But I'll certainly grin and bear it if it helps the small developer.

You know, I'm sure that Bigtime had no idea just how bigtime this game was going to be. The joy of it is that this is the first game that truly works for the grognard and the newbie. I mean, you can play this thing like a game of toy soldiers or a real wargame. Brilliant.

Thanks for the input fellahs.

Calvin

PS>>> Does anybody have any sales figures on this thing?

My computer is a laptop which is used at work and home and occasionally on the road. For me, it isn't a matter of copy protection to protect BTS' interests. It is a matter of damage to/loss of the CD and then being up a creek.

Mr. Kettler,

First of all, do you work for BTS?

Second of all, thank you for such a wonderfully curt response.

And finally, far be it from me to steal into the BTS compound in order to divulge such closely guarded trade secrets as how many copies have yet been sold. I suppose that information goes out in diplomatic pouches to and from the shareholder's meetings.

Look, I'm not a pirate. I pay for the games I play, and I spent $53 bones on CM. I am sincerely hoping that CM does well and BTS turns a large profit. I am not an agent of your competition, I merely hope that sales figures are high, which would bode well for future releases. And I certainly don't mean to make a big deal out of this exchange, but rather to clarify my intentions.

Calvin

Attention Mr. John Kettler:

Sorry if I seemed a little righteously indignant in the post above. I just checked my other post, a question regarding AFV's and artillery. There I discoverd that you have written a very detailed and helpful response to my question. Much appreciated!

I hope you'll forgive my jumping to conclusions. Sincere thanks again for your suggestions.

Calvin

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killmore:

It is no longer required after certain point<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? When's that?

I like to keep a music CD on while I play, only way to get

a cool soundtrack.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Supertanker:

Since I have small children, and often forget to remove the CM CD after late-night play, my disk is at great risk. Hence, as discussed in a previous thread, my original is safely stored out of harm's way, and I play with a copy I made. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I'm talking about! smile.gif Overall, if we can make a backup copy of the CD and use it while we store our precious, Hmmmm my preciiiiioussssss, *oops sorry, wiping drool* original CDs in a safe, secure location then I am far from ever griping about having a CD in the drive to play. biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thomasj:

That's what I'm talking about! smile.gif Overall, if we can make a backup copy of the CD and use it while we store our precious, Hmmmm my preciiiiioussssss, *oops sorry, wiping drool* original CDs in a safe, secure location then I am far from ever griping about having a CD in the drive to play. biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just read the license in the front of the manual: "Battlefront.com grants to you the right to use one copy of the Software on a single computer. No duplicate part of this Software, CD-ROM, or manual may be copied or stored concurrently in more than one place at any time, including a second hard disk, duplicate CD-ROM, Internet site, or any other means of computer storage, except for a single copy made solely for purpose of backup." (Emphasis added.)

So, you see, you get to make a backup copy. As discussed in a previous thread, you can sell your copy, too, as long as you don't keep a copy.

I'd also like to point out that I have violated the license by quoting the above to you all, since the license also states, "The manual may not be copied, photographed, reproduced, translated, or reduced to any electrical medium or machine-readable form, in whole or in part, without prior written consent from Battlefront.com."

Dang, that's two violations now! smile.gif Since I had to have prior permission, Battlefront can't even grant me permission for this post after the fact. Well, at least it doesn't automatically terminate my license for breach, so I'm OK until they sue me. Hopefully, I will win one of the copies from SimHQ, so I can have a new license.

For the humor impaired, I want to note that I do abide by the spirit of the license, and would never make any unlicensed copies.

Oh, all right, before I go, let me pick my favorite nit: many licenses are violated by using the software, since you then concurrently have copies of the code on the original CD, on your hard disk, and in system memory. D'oh! biggrin.gif

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Hello Calvin

I had the same problem as you did, but I found a solution to the problem. I just bought a CM only CDROM drive!! Now I dont have to worry about taking the CM CD out anymore.

;)

Regards,

Heinz

------------------

"To subdue your enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heinz 25th PzReg:

I had the same problem as you did, but I found a solution to the problem. I just bought a CM only CDROM drive!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, I think I could grab one old useless CD player from work...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Huh? When's that?

I like to keep a music CD on while I play, only way to get

a cool soundtrack.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah! Doesn't get much better than listening to a little Papa Roach while playing CM...

I run 2 CD drives, as well (one is a CDR). This is probably the easiest and best way to get around the problems of leaving CDs in the drive, listening to music while playing something else, etc. Not too expensive, either if you consider a used CD drive and cable is only $(US)20-30 at most.

As for backup copies, I always at least try to make a "backup" then use the "backup" to play and hide the original safely away...

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Guest Offwhite

As I grew up playing games on a C64 with the 1541 drive, I fail to see a reason for all the fuss with opening/inserting/closing one's CD tray... patience is a virtue; anyone else remember when a three-minute load time was short?

<hr>

Offwhite wrote:

As I grew up playing games on a C64 with the 1541 drive, I fail to see a reason for all the fuss with opening/inserting/closing one's CD tray... patience is a virtue; anyone else remember when a three-minute load time was short?

<hr>

Yes, I remember those drives too. The NOISE they used to make while churning away for minutes, just to load what were (by today's standards) tiny little bits of data...

Papa

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Offwhite:

As I grew up playing games on a C64 with the 1541 drive, I fail to see a reason for all the fuss with opening/inserting/closing one's CD tray... patience is a virtue; anyone else remember when a three-minute load time was short?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, load time was long. But how about the start-up time

of the little beast!

In fact, starting the computer and loading a game was faster

than with my current machine biggrin.gif

Assuming you didn't have a cassette operated multi-load game. eek.gif