CM is missing a VERY important US tank variant...

Valdor

CM is missing probably the most important US tank variant there is---the fabled 'Haunted Tank' Stuart variant! rolleyes.gif

For those unfamiliar with this novel variant (of which only one was produced) here are some of the more important features:

--37mm cannon that can blow the turret off a Panther or King Tiger---frontal aspect---with ONE shot!

--.50 cal Machine Gun that can shoot down ME-109s and Stukas with a 5 round burst everytime!

--Armor that will deflect ANY German tank round from any angle!

--Any mine will cause only basic damage to one track---which the crew can repair in minutes!

--Finally (and this is the best part), the tank is haunted by the ghost of JEB Stuart who frequently warns the crew of coming danger and helps them out of really tight spots.

The only real threat to the US 'Haunted Tank' was the German haunted tank---a blood red tiger haunted by (who else?) Attila the Hun!

Hopefully they can fix this glaring omission in an upcoming patch!

rolleyes.gifeek.gifwink.gifrolleyes.gifeek.gifwink.gif

------------------

A66

1st MRB

[This message has been edited by Valdor (edited 09-10-2000).]

Ahhhh, G.I. Combat... LOVED IT! I would gather glass pop bottles for the deposit ($0.05) to directly invest in the next issue. I still have 'em. DANG! Just had a wave of nostalgia... I'll have to dig them out and give them another read. Perhaps learn tactics I can relate to in my next CM scenario! wink.gif Don't forget Weird War (have every issue), Sgt. Rock, The Losers (All of these too), WWII Combat, 5 star Combat, etc.... (edit) Almost forgot The Unknown Soldier!

[This message has been edited by bigmac (edited 09-11-2000).]

Guest MikeToth

Oh man memories of G.I. Combat comics bring back such fond memories of my childhood too.

I did the same thing, cut all of our neighbor's grass to gather up about 2 bucks

(which was enough money back in the 60's) to buy about 10 issues AND some bubble gum to boot) and then run down to the corner drug store to buy those comics... they were the best, bar none!!!!..... Unfortunately my mother (and I don't let her live this down),

threw away all of my comic books, and I constantly remind her of all the money I could have had .......... that would be a cool mod, but I think the hardcore player's

may not go for it..... but I like it!!!

Mike

Cleveland Ohio

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gaffertape:

I remember that the TC's name was J.E.B. Stuart, but wasn't the tank a Sherman (at least in later comics)?

I still remember when Slim the driver died and one page in the comic was filled with letters of fans who were upset that they'd killed him off.

GAFF<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They changed over to the Sherman later on,and J.E.B. got so ticked that he left the tank.But of course he came back,because he knew his loyalty lay with the tank's crew,not the tank itself. wink.gif

Yeah, I seem to remember it as a Sherman too.

G.I. Combat was great!

I think I may still have a couple of issues floating around...

Sgt. Rock was pretty cool too. I used to read it, and then dig out my giant collection of HO scale WWII plastic figures and war it up all over the living room.

Speaking of nostalgia, does anyone remember a WWII game for the Commodore 64... sort of a squad combat game, where your (very meager) squad was represented by Letters or numbers and the nazis by X's? Anyway, I played that one all the time too.

Yes, in the later issues they got upgraded to a Sherman---but I could never (even as a kid) accept JEB Stuart haunting a tank named after General Sherman! Besides, their exploits are only SLIGHTLY more believable in a Sherman wink.gif

Also, I forgot to list a critical capability:

--Sink German U-boats while lashed-down to the deck of a Liberty ship!

BTW: My favorite DC war comic was probably 'Gunner & Sarge' smile.gif

------------------

A66

1st MRB

Man I'd forgotten all about Johnny Cloud smile.gif Those were great, I'm still toying with the idea of creating a Sgt. Rock scenario, I just don't think you could edit the troops sufficiently to make it "DC Comic Realistic". But I have the title "It's Never Easy in Easy Company."

My favorites were always the cheapo comics where they reused the drawings and the dialog didn't match. They would show some guy with a big grin on his face and the dialog would say "Captain, we lost half the company in that attack."

Does anyone else recall the Marvel war comic, "Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos"? Ah, those were the days.

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Man I'd forgotten all about Johnny Cloud smile.gif Those were great, I'm still toying with the idea of creating a Sgt. Rock scenario, I just don't think you could edit the troops sufficiently to make it "DC Comic Realistic". But I have the title "It's Never Easy in Easy Company."

My favorites were always the cheapo comics where they reused the drawings and the dialog didn't match. They would show some guy with a big grin on his face and the dialog would say "Captain, we lost half the company in that attack."

Does anyone else recall the Marvel war comic, "Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos"? Ah, those were the days.

Joe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How could I forget a comic where the rival commando unit was McGivney's Marauders?

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

You forgot the one where they painted the Suart white and dropped it out of a plane over Egypt. Scaried the crap out of the Germans thought it was a ghost tank or something. Remember the underground V1 rocket train.

I remember comic books that depicted the battle of Leyte Gulf and the submarine warfare in the Pacific. Can't remember who published them. They came out in the early 1960s.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

I loved Sgt.Rock. As a kid my father was in the army. When I was 8 we moved to germany. And before we left, my uncle gave me his entire collection of Sgt. Rock comics. About 60 in all and there was a liberal dose of weird war and I think I even remember the Haunted Tank. Did it picture Jeb Stuart on horseback in scenes with the tank?

I would read those comics for hours and then find some interestingly shaped part of the floor for the biggiest, bloodiest wars any plastic army man ever experienced. Of course good old Sarge and Easy Co. always found a way to pull through.

I guess I've always been a wargammer, and I probably always will be. PBEM anyone?

------------------

Hot enough for ya'?

DaKilnGuy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeToth:

Unfortunately my mother (and I don't let her live this down), threw away all of my comic books, and I constantly remind her of all the money I could have had ..........

Mike

Cleveland Ohio<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the feeling, my dad threw out my COMPLETE set of 1972/73 NHL Hockey cards, all in great condition inside a cardboard locker I had ordered from the gum company. It also contained some little biography booklets I had re. hockey players (including Bobby Orr) from even earlier.

I am still mad at him for that, how could he do such a thing?!

frown.gif

You guys sure do bring back the memories. Yeah, I remember Johnny Cloud, the P-51 pilot with American Indian heritage. I always thought he was cool. I used to get the G.I. Combat annuals from a smoke shop downtown. Boy, those were the days. Sgt Fury and his Howlin' Commandoes...... I always preferred Sgt Rock though, with those clenched teeth!

Just like you guys, I've always been into the military gaming. Hell, I'm sure a lot of you guys remember the wargame ads in the back of the comics! Helen of Toy Company comes to mind. There was this one game that I got called "Wood's Edge". That game rocked! Then you had that 100pc POS toy soldier set in it's chest advertised in just about every issue of DC comics. Remember that? I still have that thing at home. Every piece was FLAT! Boy was I ticked when I opened the 6"x2" box to find tanks that were 1"x .0001"!!!!!!

Ahhh memories. All the reason why I'm with the USAF working on C-130's today.............

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"