Has anyone reverted back to CC??

IDF

I downloaded and played the CC1 demo before I had even heard of CM. I was envolved with Talonsoft's East Front/West Front games and was used to their turn based system. I found CC1 to be hard to follow or control and felt that I was a slave to the game. East Front/West Front were more easy for me to follow and control so I deleted the CC1 demo. Later, after finding CM, I disgarded my Talonsoft games, though I still enjoy my Battlefield games. When CC5 came out I tried the demo and felt the same about it that I did for the CC1 game so it's history. For pure enjoyment nothing beats CM. As a lover of the ASL games CM is heaven sent and is my primary computer game.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

How many of you went back to CM after playing Diablo II?

Hmm. Why is this always presented like an either or thing? Why is just assumed that wargamers must ignore CC in a post-CM world?

I did not foreswear CC when I got CM or any other game. Recently I have been playing:

Homeworld: Cataclysm, Unreal Tournament, Weapons Factory Arena, Unreal: The Return to Na Pali, and a neat little shareware game demo called Firefight. Note that CM is not in that list. Send in the Inquisition.

There are still things that CC does better than CM and that will not change for the forseeable future.

FWIW CC has played itself out and new versions will not be forthcoming barring a commerical version of the game being developed for the USMC. Meanwhile Atomic are working on a 3D game and there is the possibility of a 3d game that traces it roots to CC.

[This message has been edited by RMC (edited 11-27-2000).]

I felt (and feel) that CC1 was a good game, and CC2 was truly excellent. For whatever reason CC2 allowed me to look past its inadequacies. It had truly addictive gameplay, and with RealPara it felt correct as well. I felt CC3 was decent, and with RealRed, I enjoyed it, although not to the same degree that I enjoyed CC2.

Atomic's reaction to complaints about the accuracy of CC2-3 turned me off quite badly from the company, and I was disappointed to note that my fears about CC4 were correct. Instead of fixing the issues that gamers had raised, Atomic seemed to take a step backwards. One miscue I recall quite clearly is that the Jagdpanther sprite was larger than the Panther sprite, despite the two being built on the same chassis. This seemed indicative of the lack of preparation and care that had gone into the game. I grew quite frustrated with the well-known bugs and AI issues which Atomic perversely failed to address, much less correct, the most egregious being the tank dance.

For me, CM did right what CC did wrong, and I have no intention of playing any of the CC games again. I didn't even bother looking at CC5. I do think that credit is owed to Atomic for putting out an innovative title and getting more people interested in WW2 wargaming, but beyond that I have no interest in the company or its titles.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

I think that the mechanics of Combat Mission are good, and the accuracy is sound.

But people in this topic have been accusing Atomic of not improving this or that, but don't forget that CM2 will use the SAME engine as CM1 - and everyone here has been attacking the makers of Close Combat for doing the same thing!! For example, I would like to see vehicles go under as well as over bridges. This flaw also stops propper 3D movement in buildings, and how the hell buildings will appear in Stalingrad and Berlin in CM2 I can only guess...

I just finished Diablo II online with a friend. It was quite fun!

I also downloaded and tried CC5, but I was not impressed much. CM has probably spoiled me. The little men in CC5 were so hard to find... still it's ok for a real time game. And it shows every man separately, which CM can't do.

CC1 and 2 are available for the Mac.

Take a look at CC2 if you see it. I got a copy for $20 CDN and it was more then worth it. I played that game nonstop for months.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

A major source of Wild Bill scenarios!

I never got into CC much.

Once I got through the first (St.Lo?) campaign as the Americans I lost interest in the game. Further, I tried CC3 and was still unimpressed, given a lack of any evolution in design.

I think, given the revolutionary nature of CMBO, that I wouldn't even consider filling up Harddrive disk space with the CC series of games as I just wouldn't play them.

Mace

------------------

sh_t happens but life's short, so why worry about it!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Hehe, Pud, I see in your map making FAQ that someone (maybe you?) finially found out what was causing that damn auto-redraw error in my map making program smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>yes I do have that , now, forgotten honour of working out why it did that. PS great programme by the way.

Guest PopFreak11

I play CC2 almost daily it truley is(in my mind) one of the best wargames ever made in its own genre. CMBO for turn based also has my vote. I am currently in the CC2 tourney and by the way there are still well over 300 people playing CC2 regularly on the zone.

here is my after action report from my 1st round:

""Well Round #1 was as intense as anyone could imagine.

I started off as Allies, putting a Vickers, a flammer and piat in the church, as expected Fish concentrated on taking the high ground. My guys took out a reserve part of a shutszen and not much else. The German armor was busy taking shots at virtually All of the front line defence of buildings. Unfortunatly there was little in them. I concentrated most of my inf to the 2nd and 3rd lines of defence. This worked very well as No german troops made it past the second VL. Most of the German armor ammo was spent on the 1st line of defense and were easily taken out by grenades, piat and flamethrower fire.

Game #2 with me as Germans started off very differently. I concentrated ALL of my men and armor in the southern corner to make a push along the southern edge of the map and then swing northward. This flank attack hinged on being able to take out the 3 southernmost 3 story buildings, as without them the whole attack would have failed. My armour was put on defence and pretty much any allied unit that opened fire was greeted with a hails of MG and HE rounds.

I sneaked a reserve and recon unit into the first 3 story and What I'll call the deciding factor in this game was a luck grande toss taking out a whole rifle and 1 flammer that was in the trees across the road from the 3 story. Had that flammer gotten those men, fish could have very easily thwarted my whole attack.

What happened next was a picture perfect blitzkieg that even Hitler himself would have been proud of.

Very good game fish, your a very worthy opponet and these 2 games will go down in my books as 2 of the best. I wish you the best of luck in the tourney.

Pop""

Guest Little_Black_Devil

I can't say I have any interest to go back to Close Combat. I don't feel that I have to choose between CM or CC, but I simply look at CC differently now. It no longer "has what it takes" to captivate me anymore. Simply put, what I want and what I expect out of a wargame has changed and CC no longer satisfies me. But thats just me....I've got a lot of friends who still swear by CC so it obviously still holds the attention of some people.

------------------

Hosti Acie Nominati

Combat Mission Canadian Headquarters

BAH bored with CM? including CC in same post as CM such hersey wink.gif.

I divide my time between CM & Steel Beasts, or I call up my bro & fire up BFC & play Counterstrike or Strike Force, for some Tango abuse biggrin.gif. The only other game thats peaked my interest in seeing is HPS's Kharkov 42, what can I say its Ostfront cool.gif.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the

German Royal Tiger come up on the field".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. February 1945.

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 11-27-2000).]

I agree CC2 is good. I was playing CC1 and 2 from time to time. The greatest drawback is the scale of the CC series does not encourage descent tank-to-tank combat, let alone the die-hard tank pathfinding problems. I am not sure why I did not buy CC3.

May be it is the CM demo.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(