Has anyone reverted back to CC??

IDF

I'm just curious, firstly all you gronyards after a few months of playing CM do you still recommend buying it?

Secondly, have any CM players reverted back to playing any of the Close Combat series?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

CM is the ONLY game in town for me. A big fat yes to get this game.

Now as for going back to CC series, I would have to have a brain tumor, on my death bed, 99 years old, dreaming of bad AI for tanks, a flat chested Pam Anderson.... get the picture? No way, not even if the game was free.

sniperscope

I simply do not see myself tiring of this game. Even just against the AI its a different experience each time. Throw in PBEM and its just about limitless.

I hold some burning hatred for CC4, but although I haven't played CC2 or 3 in awhile, I wouldn't say I never will again. Different

kind of game really. I would miss the 'up close and personal' aspect of CM though.

GAFF

i actually did try a bit of CC5. I broke open the demo and gave it a whirl.

But after 20 min i was just disapointed. The enemy AI was kinda dumb, stuff was just a bit silly and unrealistic and the 2d nature of it all frustrated me somewhat.

In CM I can play interesting games which have almost limitless variation. There's wonderful maps and boxes of tricks.

Furthermore, there's the meta-campaign coming up in the next.. decade or so wink.gif

PeterNZ

------------------

"I can be quite pleasant, you know" - Andreas

"WHERE'S THE MOAT?!" - Jon

I loved cc3, played it every chance i got for 18 months (or so). Even went to the extent of doing a map for it (Puds Map)if interested. But when CC4 came bubbling into existance like some odd substance from a blocked toilet. I gave it up. CM has all those things that CC should have had, but Mr Z never bothered to put in , eg towable arty, accurate units stats. I cant see myself going back (to cc3) for a year or two (depending on the release of CM2).

Pud

[This message has been edited by Pud (edited 11-27-2000).]

I actually tried the CC5 demo a couple of months ago and played it, maybe, two times. Then I proceeded to fire up CM while I was running CC5 demo and recreated the scenario in CM. I enjoyed it a lot more that way. I also loaded CC3 recently and played it once before uninstalling it again! Damn you Combat Mission! Damn you all to hell!!!! smile.gif

Playing CC is only worthwhile if you play again other human player. Playing again the AI (I would say AS: Artifial Stupidity) is very easy and boring. Basically, CC releases are new scenarios of a old game.

CC was a revolution, improving the state of the art at that time, creating a new way of designing wargames. It was the best wargame for a while.

The series has to re-examine its approach to update the game. If they do not do that, they are dead.

Anyway, CM exceeds CC broadly, playing alone and by e-mail.

Cheers.

Carlos.

Guest KwazyDog

I even tried out CC5 for interests sake. Unfortuantely I found little different since CC3, and although I must say it was somewhat fun, it quickly became more of the same. I was suprised to see that tank AI still has the same old problems. It also seems that they have steared even more away from reality with CC5.

Hehe, Pud, I see in your map making FAQ that someone (maybe you?) finially found out what was causing that damn auto-redraw error in my map making program smile.gif

Funnily enough, I worked it out myself about a month back. If I only knew that when I wrote it, it would have been an easy fix.

Hi Kwazy smile.gif -- Sorry I havent gotten back to ya ... been engrossed with school and the 3d thing amongst otehr things. Hmmn Time for tcpip soon?

As far as CC goes I did buy 5 because the demo showed much improvement over their past two efforts. Unfortunately the full version purchasing system sucks! I was looking forward to enjoying mulitplayer again with it but do to that it didnt happen. Plus It just wasnt CM tongue.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

Guest Rollstoy

I am currently working on improved overview maps for CC5. They are supposed to have a strong 3D effect. I hope that problems associated with the 2D nature of the game interface can be overcome this way. This was a great project to learn C++, by the way!

As for the 'fun' factor: some days ago I played a CM scenario, where it took me 1.5 hours just to spot my first enemy! 1.5 hours is a long time for nothing to happen in a game ... of course my glorious and total victory made up for this later ...

Regards, Thomm

View?u=1304061&a=9677732&p=33867472

Guest MantaRay

The CC series had it's place, much like Steel Panthers, Panzer General, Campaign Series, TOPPS, etc...

I really like CC3, and that is the only version I kept. I bought the original and returned it hours later, just didnt do it for me. Didnt bother with 2. CC4 pissed me off when I was playing the demo with my buddy. He had a "Rocket Tank", whatever the hell that is. He took out my King Tiger with a frontal shot the very first turn. I then marched around the board and killed this "rocket tank" with a halftrack, frontal shot no less.

With Cm though, it has already become a classic among the people who bought it. CM is the one computer game that reallly hit it's intended target, much like Squad Leader and ASL did, except that it doesnt take 4 hours to set up, and CM is almost dog, cat, kid, and angry wife proof.

I personally believe that after CM2, it just wont matter if BTS does any more games though. I just wont be able to get into a Desert Warfare, or Pacific game to be honest. And ofcourse I will buy it, as CMBO has earned BTS my support, and CM2 is the grand-daddy of WWII, and will be the best wargame to come out for the next 10 years.

Should you revert back to CC or any other game? Sure why not, if you get bored, there is always CM...right?

Ray

Guest Big Time Software

I would be very surprised if anybody playing the full version of CM "reverted" back to CC. However, I do know a few people that play both games. If you strongly liked Close Combat for the realtime aspect there is still value there.

I think that most people on this BBS are looking for historically accuracy and more of a "thinking" game. Because Close Combat has shortcomings with both (by design) I can understand why such people have said "never again".

This is the sort of "each to his own" kind of situation, but it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Steve

I'm currently in a CC2 tourney right now and just finished playing a game last night. Christ! That damn AI really pisses me off. I actually sit there and yell at the screen even though I know it's stupid. You just can't help it. When it comes to the maneuvarability of tanks, it's got to be one of the worst programming efforts I've ever seen.

CM is more of a pleasure to play because if I lose a game, it is my fault whether it's bad planning, bad execution, etc. When I lose a game in CC2, half the time it's the AI's fault because it takes control of my units for me and makes stupid moves that I never told it to make. That's very frustrating as a player.

The only reason I re-visit CC2 is for the real time aspect...and believe me, that's it.

------------------

Youth is wasted on the young.

I never got into the CC series for the whole 2D thing. The game system, to me, was outdated even at the release of the first one. Downloaded the demo of CC1 years ago and was totallly turned off then.

------------------

--"We want information."

--"Information."

--"Information."

--"Who are you?"

--"The new Number 2."

--"Who is Number 1?"

--"You are Number 6."

--"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

--"Hahahahahahahaha."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IDF:

...have any CM players reverted back to playing any of the Close Combat series?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has any of you moved back to trees?

Has any of you developed gills and reverted back to sea?

Nah... still, CC2 has a special place in my heart. In LAN, it is DA FREAKIN' WEAPON with which I always humiliate my dearest opponent.

CC2-CC4 provided me with some of the best online gaming with my friend I've ever had. However, I think I'm going to be fully converted to CM once the network play is made functional.

My biggest gripe with the CC series is how little the game engine has improved over time and how they never fixed the stupid tank movement and facing problems. It's like Atomic has been on vacation all these years and they've been milking the original CC engine for all it was worth. Had Atomic made CC a full 3d environment like CM then it would compete with it a lot better with it. Especially since CC does do some things BETTER than CM, like model the indiviudal foot soldier. Little improvement was the reason that I did not purchase CC5--wake up Atomic!!!!

I like the real time gaming systems (I've never had a trouble ordering my units in time) but the ordering phase followed by the movie playback system in CM has a huge advantage over real time. Namely, you can SKIP the movie when the action gets slow and this saves huge amounts of time when fighting battles. When playing CC, I would sometimes wait 30 minutes before I saw good action--boring!

-Limbo

No CC for me. but Counterstrike is another story. I haven't got a phone call in a month now.

WWB

------------------

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salatamus.