Rule of 76?

Vadr

Hi,

I'm new to CMBO, although this ain't my first rodeo when it comes to small-unit tactics.

I started a PBEM game with an old friend, 1500 pt Combined Arms Meeting Engagement, with 'the Rule of 76s' in effect.

I'm down wit' dat, I understand and agree with the Rule, I think it's a good thing.

Now, my problem:

My friend picked up a few Churchill VIII's, which have managed to pretty much 1-shot kill 2 of my Pz IV's and a Hetzer with those 95mm hollow-core rounds. Those same tanks are now in the process of dismembering my Infantry with HE, of course

My question: should I insist on being allowed to purchase Tiger Is going forward ( a suggested modification to the rule) if Churchill VIII's are allowed, or should I just take my lumps this time and get over it?

Thanks

------------------

Vadr

Kommandeur

III/JG2 'Richthofen'

Guest captain,ro

hello all,

first let me say that i have tryed to search this alot. would someone pleasetell me or show me where i can find the rules of 75 and 76s? thanks all

ro

I've been around for ever on this board and for the life of me, I haven't got the slightest idea of what you're talking about concerning the "76 Rule"

The way I look at this game, is that it is not *just* a game, but simulated war. And as we all know, "All's fair in love and war."

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 11-18-2000).]

While I understand one's desire to put some kind of AFV limit on a PBEM game I can't seem to shake the idea that this is contrary to actual warfare. In our sometimes overzealous desire to make everything "fair" we might wind up with a PBEM more akin to chess than a simulation of a WWII battle. Why not just dictate all the armor pieces each side gets? I think the fact that the heavies cost more is a good enough limit in and of itself.

My only real problem withe the Panther 76 rule is that it allows Panthers but not Tiger Is, even though the Panther is the better tank (especially in tank vs tank). It would be better if Tigers were allowed but not Panthers.

I would also allow the Nashhorn. Great gun, but the armor is so thin anything that hits it will kill it.

Guest Rex_Bellator

Got to agree with Tiger on this one. The best PBEM games I've had have been where the computer has picked the forces. You find yourself having to cope with all sorts of different situations, you rarely have the force you'd want, but then again neither does your opponent. Very realistic!

------------------

"We're not here to take it - We're here to give it!"

General Morshead's response to the popular newspaper headline "Tobruk Can Take It!"

Guest captain,ro

thanks Andrew Hedges and Aaronb for the information, i was just courious about this topic. myself i always try to the best of my ability to pick a force that is somewhat historical.

thanks again

ro

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir:

I would also allow the Nashhorn. Great gun, but the armor is so thin anything that hits it will kill it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to back this statement up, I killed two Nashorns with a 0.50 team. Unfortunately, those same 2 Nash's took out 5-6 of my tanks from 1000m before my 0.50 could get close enough.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Just a little update to this.

Late in the Scenario, this same Churchill took 3 rounds to the turret front from an 88 at just over 500 yards. All 3 rounds bounced off and the Church dispatched my 88 with 2 HE rounds.

Some days, it doesn't pay to get out of bed. wink.gif

Writing it off to bad luck, and recommending that Church Crew for the VC.

NEXT!

------------------

Vadr

Kommandeur

III/JG2 'Richthofen'

IMHO, the Tiger should be allowed in 76 rule.

It's only exluded because of the 88 gun, but the gun is less powerful

than Panthers.

For the original question, if you need to kill Churchills, go with the

Panther. It's way better for that. Tigers 88 has big problems against

Churchill.