London Big Day Out! 8th of October, Imperial War Museum

Hi there.

Met up with Germanboy Dr A.. I can't remember his damn nick, hehe, and Chupacabra, (who is now studying in London) last night and went to a film and had a beer which was nice. Anyway, we're all going to go to the Imperial War Museum next sunday, that's Sunday 8th of October!

Plan is to meet in the foyer at the respectable hour of 11am and then wander round. Digital camera owners do come!

Anyone else wants to bowl on up, drop me a mail and we can have an idea of who will be there. I'll be easy to to spot, red head with a goatee, as for the rest, just keep an eye out for hungry looking Grogs

PeterNZ

dynamo@pobox.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Yeah, we're pretty easy to spot, I think. We all kinda look the part wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speak for yourself, Mr. I-would-not-know-what-Fashion-is-if-she-came-and-knocked-me-over-the-head! You three are either to spot while I just look out of place in the IWM with my German Uberdress.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

You three are either to spot while I just look out of place in the IWM with my German Uberdress.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No wonder you will look out of place in that 80's heavy metal outfit of yours. That old Krokus t-shirt you have is the best of the German fashion design.

Mattias

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterNZer:

Mattias, as for touching everything inside the museum, well I'll be there, so you can keep your bloody hands off me for one! :><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey that is not fair. My mum tells me that I cannot touch myself. My girlfriend says that I cannot touch her. And now you are telling me to keep my hands off you? Mr Tyson, you are a very wicked and cruel man. I hope that I do not get rejected by that cute PZ-II smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Speak for yourself, Mr. I-would-not-know-what-Fashion-is-if-she-came-and-knocked-me-over-the-head! You three are either to spot while I just look out of place in the IWM with my German Uberdress.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, sorry, I forgot. Will you be wearing your ripped Skorpions T-shirt or the baby tee you got at the Love Parade? Oh, and will the knee-high socks you're wearing under your sandals be black or white?

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Been there, done that...it was 1996 when I visited that great place and it took about 4 hours or so...

I remember how I stared -real- V2 rocket which was partly cut open. Impressive.

Well I consider myself quite lucky since I live near the Parola's tank museum and the Artillery museum of Hämeenlinna.

Anyway, have a good time guys.

Juha

For all tank lovers who are in or will visit the US, you owe it to yourself to visit Aberdeen Proving Ground in Aberdeen, Maryland (30 minutes northeast of Baltimore). They have the most complete collection of WWII armor on the planet (Includes King Tiger and Jagdtiger). The post is open to the general public if you just tell the gate guard you're there for the museum. It really is impressive. They also have V1 and V2's and Anzio Annie (the German railroad gun that shelled the beach at Anzio). The inside of the museum has small arms out the wazoo. Give it a chance if you're in the area. Anyone else been there?

USTanker - I've been there many times, last time was maybe 2 years ago. I gather they're trying to renovate the place, build a structure to house the armor, etc.

Doug Beman - I'm in Mullica Hill, Gloucester County. Don't know where you are, but getting to Aberdeen is easy... take I-95 south about 20 minutes past the Delaware line into Maryland and follow signs for Aberdeen.

------------------

“Fortune favors the brave" - Terence

**** i'll be taking my mate "Red Quin"

worshiper of all things T34 and Russian

there on 8th wink.gif

Say hi if u see us..he'll be the guy in

the fur hat clutching a Bottle of Vodka.

I'll be the sane looking one.

That guy plays way too much ASL.

He rolls dice just to get on the bus smile.gif

Be sure and check out the WWI Trench exhibit! Its pretty cool and they have some VERY good WWI Naval exhibits, information and models. In fact their entire WWI section is pretty well rounded, even a lot about the Eastern, and Middle East Fronts.

It's rare to get good info on WWI anymore. Of course there display of WWII is top notch too.

I spent about 4 hours there last year while on holiday in London (hehe I said Holiday instead of vacation! eek.gif ) but my girlfriend began to get bored even though we stayed till they kicked us out! biggrin.gif

Also pay close attention to the bargain table in the book store. I found an incredible book on B-17's and B-29's for just a couple of pounds.

Have fun, and check out the picture gallery on the fourth (third maybe?) floor. Some nice military art there.

p.s. Tell them you are students and get a discount on admission. They didn't care that my girlfriend was a college student in the states either!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 09-28-2000).]

Have a good time guys!

I was there in '91, keep an eye out for the WW1 'trenching mace' an absolutely evil and brutal club type weapon..

Take the time to listen to the recorded veterans stories on the various campaigns, the australian gallipoli recollections were quite sobering, (bodies piling up on top of each other etc)

And yes the WW1 trench is very good (just have to block out the gawking tourist element)

If you get the chance, the Bovington tank museum in Dorset is very good also.

Have fun!