Combat Mission needs...

Oh another neat thing to have would be

to be able to determine line of sight

from a point to another point without

actually having a unit at the point....

(kinda like looking at a topographical map?)

Can infantry leap off vehicles moving "fast"?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Oh another neat thing to have would be

to be able to determine line of sight

from a point to another point without

actually having a unit at the point....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The final decision about this was IIRC no. This would make the game too calculated and not seat of the pants command enough (and I agree. It would be artificial to wander around the map doing LOS every meter looking for that *perfect* position.)

- Bill

Sorry but the vast majority of soldiers in real life cannot discern anything more than a general Line of Site just from looking at a topo map. This is something some people are taught to do in advanced map reading (and it requires a ruler pencil and time) but for the most part you can not get the kind of LOS data from eye-balling a map in teh field, you would from actually standing on the spot and seeing for yourself. You can get a general sense, (just like you can in CM by moving your view over to the spot).

Los

BTS-Steve - no need to get frustrated! I would love to have CM just as it is in demo. Just think of all this discussion as input for CM-X. You guys created something unique. At certain point you will want to change the engine I am sure. Thats when RT option is worth considering. Seem like you could sell more games with it since quite a few people keep wondering about it. DO NOT rewrite game engine right now please! I want to buy CM before I have kids! (That would eat up rest of my free time)

And your reply was very professional!

Phoenix: If CM was RTS right now, I would never play it.

This is an OPTION no one tries to take turns away from you. You also seem to have bad opinion about BTS - I am sure they could make the CM-X with RT option work fine! I do not believe that if RT was just an OPTION in CM you would refuse to play it.

And by the way USA debt should be paid off ASAP.

> BTS-Steve - no need to get frustrated!

I think that people trying to coerce CM into being something it was never meant to be is a perfect reason for the programmers to get a little frustrated. Steve and Charles are in charge of the thing and I think it's pretty obvious by now that they really don't want to do a RT game.

p.

I think CM should be a RPG that's a role playing game (not rocket propelled grenade - grognard dude). We should all have hit points and go up levels when we kill enough baddies. Then we could have the +5 bagpipes of ultimate heroism that I know BTS could program in a couple of days - if only they would get off their lazy fat butts. mad.gif I want to be a Royal Marine Commando fighter/mage/thief coz they get the really cool fireball spell. cool.gif We need smoke - not this silly 2D smoke but real 3D smoke that billows out of the back of the computer and causes us respiratory difficulties. eek.gif CM also should include the ability for us to jump into the driving seat of a hellcat and have races where we can flatten infantry - extra points for POWs.

Come on BTS get a bloody move on!!

Joe

P.S. I'm not a computer programmer but I used to play Galaxian in 1980. I think this makes me eminently qualified to point out BTS errors. tongue.gif

Originally posted by Neutral Party:

I think CM should be a RPG that's a role playing game (not rocket propelled grenade - grognard dude). We should all have hit points and go up levels when we kill enough baddies. Then we could have the +5 bagpipes of ultimate heroism that I know BTS could program in a couple of days - if only they would get off their lazy fat butts. mad.gif I want to be a Royal Marine Commando fighter/mage/thief coz they get the really cool fireball spell. cool.gif We need smoke - not this silly 2D smoke but real 3D smoke that billows out of the back of the computer and causes us respiratory difficulties. eek.gif CM also should include the ability for us to jump into the driving seat of a hellcat and have races where we can flatten infantry - extra points for POWs.

Come on BTS get a bloody move on!!

Joe

Well Joe,

Maybe you should go check out the up and coming new game called WWII Online. That game is exactly what you want. It's a vi