Which fog of war is most real?

Well, if you think about it, "full" would seem the most realistic. If you were in combat, you wouldn't know where the enemy would be or at what strength. You'd be clueless until you see them. If you could see where they were and how much firepower they had, there would be no reason to have patrols to scout ahead, or to move ahead with caution.

Captain (and anyone else who doesn't use FOW): You have definitely got to try full FOW in a night battle to gain appreciation for what it must have been like to have been a commander in WWII. I'm not saying use it all the time (even though I do), but it will truly humble you. I just had my ass handed to me in a plastic baggy by the AI in a night battle. I had a tank destroyer knocked out by a &*#^%ing flak gun because I didn't see the damned thing until I was 25 yards from it! Guys walked right into MG nests, rifle fire picked off leaders, etc. You get the point. Next time, I'll take it much more slowwwwllllyyy in a night battle. Rushing forward just gets you annhilated!

On a side note, if you practice against the AI without full FOW, you are doing yourself a huge disservice if you plan on doing a PBEM! The strategy is completely different - more realistic - with FOW.

I'm going to have to go on assumptions here as I always play with full FOW.

It seems as though no FOW would create an entirely different game. There would be no ambushes, no way for the defender to hide his troops or have a hidden fresh platoon for a late game suprise. On a map such as VoT the germans wouldn't have a chance in hell vs any solid commander.

Not that playing without FOW doesn't involve strategy but the scenarios would have to be redesigned for play balance. As it is now to play without FOW would give the advantage directly to the attacker.

For me a large aspect of the game is the scouting and manouvering before the heavy action. Most of what I'm trying to do in the beginning of a game is locate and identify as much of the enemy as possible looking for clues as to his thinking.

To be able to see all my opponents units from the start would take away a huge element of the game and would not reward many historically successful tactics making it a less realistic portrayal of WWII in my opinion.

FOW is always Full unless you are completely new to wargaming or are having trouble with the game interface or something. As for PBEM...it is unsportsman like conduct to play any other way than Full FOW in any game any time.

You have to remember that we all play computer games for different reasons. Some want a 'realistic' experience, some want to emphasis just the strategic part, while other just wants to kill time. Now matter how one plays, it must be fun and if playing with or without FOW is fun, that's ok, IMHO. For me, when I will start to play CM, I will have no FOW because it will take awhile for me to learn the game and to learn about WW2 tactics. However, I do agree that when playing PBEM, it must be fair.

Considering the Capt. Mani incident... Is FOW settings now forced in PBEM games? If I create a game, will it automatically force my opponent to use the same settings.

BTW, did you ever replay the game with Mani using FOW on Fionn?

I always use full FOW, both against AI and opponents (okay, opponent, have only had the one PBEM so far), and wouldn't consider any other way. I certainly wouldn't expect to see any posts complaining about the AI or trumpeting their triumphs over it if they weren't using full FOW. But cerainly for people starting out and working for the basics, as well as becoming used to the interface, I could see some lessening of the FOW. I know there's been times when I wondered how effective something I did was, but had only sketchy info to judge from. Still, I suppose if I play a few million times, I'll have compiled enough sketchy info to make definitive decisions. That thought does not displease me. smile.gif

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Man, anyone who plays CM without full FOW has gotta be insane. The full FOW feature is the best part of the game! Where is the fun in a wargame if you can see all the enemies, where they are headed and what they are doing? Boring as hell ... lol

Even partial FOW sounds really, really boring (havn't tried it yet, probably never will). If you identify the enemy as soon as they come into LOS that takes half of the fun away.

MK

Guest Imperator

Is it just me, or is there room for a "Fuller" FOW setting? It seems that sometimes I get more information than a real battlefield commander would have. Particularly, I don't see how it would be possible to determine the experience level of the enemy until you capture some. At best you'd be able to guess based on their actions. Also, some unit identifications seem to be awfully fast and accurate. I often can't tell the German halftracks or the two dozen Shermans apart; how can my troops, under fire, without extensive training, at a distance, determine whether they're shooting at a rifle squad or an engineering squad? How do they count the dead members of a squad that's moved? Or even the living ones of a squad hidden in the woods?

Nothing is more exciting than running smack dab into an MG42 while trying a quick flanking maneuver. You don't get the thrill without FOW. It becomes more of a chess type of experience.

------------------

Smoker out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Imperator:

Is it just me, or is there room for a "Fuller" FOW setting? It seems that sometimes I get more information than a real battlefield commander would have. Particularly, I don't see how it would be possible to determine the experience level of the enemy until you capture some. At best you'd be able to guess based on their actions. Also, some unit identifications seem to be awfully fast and accurate. I often can't tell the German halftracks or the two dozen Shermans apart; how can my troops, under fire, without extensive training, at a distance, determine whether they're shooting at a rifle squad or an engineering squad? How do they count the dead members of a squad that's moved? Or even the living ones of a squad hidden in the woods?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think some of this is just the 'mechanics' of design, and some a kind of compromise so that people get some legitimate feedback on tactics, effectiveness, and, dare I say it, satisfaction. There have been times when I've lost people in horrible battles, and finally eradicated my enemies, or at least seen who they were, and my feeling is: 'okay, let's see who did this'. It's a little of the 'okay, the butt kicking is done, we're in the taking names, phase, people, so line up and speak clearly.'

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.