CM2 is more important than TCP/IP

Agree or disagree?

CM was released in June. I was hoping for the release of CM2 one year after the release of CM. It is now November and we still have no TCP/IP. Has the last 6 months of TCP/IP work added to the development time of CM2? Is every day that TCP/IP is delayed, also an additional delay for CM2?

I know that BTS wants to release TCP/IP, and that it is going to get done, one way or the other. However, I would have preferred they spend the time on CM2 instead.

Disagree

CM2 won't be cobbled together in a year. Battlefront games are extremely well crafted, play tested, and checked for historical accuracy. In the meantime the improvement of CM tides us over while CM2 is in the works. Besides, TCP/IP is a special case. It was supposed to be released with TCP/IP but the clamoring of the playtesters got it out sooner. Why do you think your game came with a greyed out TCP/IP button?

Players wanted it. BTS promised it. Now BTS is doing it. Besides, CM needs it, at the very least, to make it and future CM's a more viable product. The stronger the product, the greater the sales and the better the future for us camp followers.

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

Checking on the time that you registered (2/00), Runyan, you may or may not recall that BTS put out a "poll" asking if people wanted CMBO's release held up until TCP/IP was also provided. The poll results were a convincing "no" (we are an impatient lot wink.gif ). But enough people have posted between now & then that they would like to see TCP/IP soon.

Even aside from TCP/IP, BTS had related at one time or another that CM2 would not come until late-2001, considering the scope of the added research, 3-D vehicle model developments, new terrain features, and game engine enhancements needed to cover the whole East Front shebang. It'll be an epic undertaking just to get it to playtest stage.

So it's really a non-issue. BTS already has the main TCP/IP foundation developed, while CM2 development has got many, MANY months down the pike to go. I wouldn't be overly surprised that it would take a year from now to release CM2.

And no matter how long it takes to make CM2, I'll buy it just as eagerly as I bought CM1.

[This message has been edited by Spook (edited 11-06-2000).]

Runyan99,

I hear you (CMBO is really just a 'training ground' for CM2 for me personally), but the fact is it was slated for CMBO. It's not a good idea to promise a major feature like TCP/IP, then delay it indefinitely. Better BTS implement TCP/IP now, then move on to CM2.

I'm sure that they are able to work on both at the same time. They are probably still in the research stage of CM2 anyway. Got to gather all that data before you can start putting it into the game. I'm sure that TCP/IP coding work could be done while the research work is being done on CM2.

Guest Madmatt

Also, don't think that we aren't working on CM2 as well. There is a great deal of work that goes on before Charles ever puts code to compilier and there are many members of the Beta Team already getting research data assembled and generally getting the house in order.

We are also fleshing out the type and manner of improvments that we want CM2 to have over its famous sibling.

CM2 is going to take time to do right, just looking at the width and breadth of what it covers can make you dizy. For example it will cover 1941-1945, 5 years as opposed to the 12 months modeled in CM. The ammount of data and OOB's and TOE's is staggering and we are using this time for research, brainstorming and discussion which will all serve to make CM2 an even better product.

Thanks!

Madmatt

Runyan99 I am glad you voiced your opinion now let me voice mine. I am looking forward to TCP/IP. I have access to three different LAN's and am in the CPX and CMMC games where TCP/IP is greatly going to decrease the time needed to resolve battles. Every weekend I play very long hotseat games. In the end what I am trying to say is that CM2 is being worked on right now, people like Fionn, MaddMatt, and KwazyDog are doing research. Also a while back BTS said at least a year and half for CM2 so your wish was shot from the begginning. So instead of being somewhat shortsighted with your post and starting a flame war between the people who do not care about TCP/IP and those who do just remember that once again BTS is once again doing there best to please everybody, even those people who are ignorant to the situation. MaddMatt or Steve I am calling for a Lockdown on this one it is going to go nowhere.

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

The TCP/IP patch is getting close to being done. Why abandon it now, or even delay it? It sounds like it'll be released within the month. Does it really matter wheather CM2 is released in a year, or in 13 months? I'm looking forward to CM2 as well, but I think it's worth another month of CM1 to have TCP/IP included.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

I for one am tired of this question.

TCP/IP is critical for people who want to play this game more than once a day. I personally like to get 2 or 3 games in 1 day done. now lets see 30 turns x 6 minutes (i'm being very light, my main opponent takes more like 10) x 2 people = 6 hours.

so if i start a game @ 6pm, it takes until midnight at least. On a saturday, that means i can get 2 games in, it also means i have sat around doing NOTHING for 6 hours, because i am waiting for my opponent. tcp/ip means i can play 2 games in 6 hours without wasting too much time or I can play 4 games, again without wasting too much time.

I'm chomping at the bit for CM2 myself; mostly, because that means were getting closer to the desert war (1940 or 1941 - 1943 depending on how you slice it), but I would be greatly disappointed if BTS didn't keep their priorities and promises straight. BTS promised TCP/IP was the next priority and they're keeping there promise. That's good enough for me.

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."

Do you not think the TCP/IP routines would need to be developed for CM2 anyway?

This is not a waste of time and in fact it will benefit CM2. This time used to develop the TCP/IP is time well spent for both CM and CM2.

Let's not forget BTS promised this TCP/IP patch WILL be released for CM and that is a major reason I purchased it. If you're tired of waiting for a game that doesn't exist, then play with the game you do have.