(excuse the potato-laptop screenshot)

Battle Type: Axis Probe

Forces: SS vs Italian Army

Battle Size: Tiny

Duration: 30 + 5 Minutes

Date: 9th September 1943

Terrain: Open

Conditions: Fair/damp

Notes: Play tested vs AI.  Playable as either side but harder as Italians.  Should work for H2H (better player as Italians).

Modules Required: Rome to Victory

This is my first attempt at a scenario for CM2.  It's a fictional clash between SS mechanized forces and the Italian army, taking place at the time of the Italian surrender.  The SS are attempting to test a route of advance and make an example of any resistance.  The Italians are determined to go down fighting.  There are five AI plans for each side so it should be reasonably different each time it's played.

Pro Patria Mori.zip

Looking forward to trying this, but it's not showing up in my scenario list at the Load New Game screen??? I've seen this issue only very rarely in the past. I've redownloaded and re-extracted the file several times, buy still no luck. I'm running the latest version of CMFI. (The original Battlefront edition... though that shouldn't matter.)

ETA: I'm going to do a CMFI install through Steam and see what happens. Been meaning to switch all of my CM titles over to Steam anyway. Will let you know what happens.

Edited by sttp

Just now, Vacillator said:

Did you put it in the scenarios folder?

Yep, of course, lol!

So I just did a Steam install of CMFI and it shows up and opens up just fine there. ????

Oh well, sorry Gen. Porpoise, will try this out and let you know. And kudos to all those who make scenarios with so many AI plans.

The scenario, works fine for me, the Italians won this time, but the zkw 37mm Flak caused many casualties and disorganized others.

Nice one personly, I almost never play with the Italians, but it was interresting, this was fun thanks to Idea !

Later  will make a try with the SS just also for the fun...

I can only encourage you to give us more, thank you for sharing.

Edited by JM Stuff

I played it the same as JM, and agree with what he said.

That 37mm flak is the beast.  With hindsight I would wait and target it with everything I had.

Not your fault but I would say that the AI had a few issues with the bridge, not really surprised.

Anyway, I liked how the SS kept coming back again and again.  Good work my friend.

image.png.941f2f81747fb61c4beb24f98c0f4abf.png

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement guys, glad you enjoyed playing the scenario.

I definitely agree about the 37mm being devastating, on one occasion in testing it took out an entire Italian squad and then brought down the building on top of them for good measure - all in one volley.

Were the AI issues with the bridge infantry or vehicle related? I put a deep ford tile underneath it both for aesthetic reasons and to give potential cover the centre option, but I'm not sure it helps the AI decide what it's doing.

Edited by General_Porpoise

4 hours ago, General_Porpoise said:

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement guys, glad you enjoyed playing the scenario.

👍

4 hours ago, General_Porpoise said:

Were the AI issues with the bridge infantry or vehicle related?

Vehicle.  From memory two HTs crossed the bridge and one was KO'd with a demo charge a bit further up the road.  The other retreated back over the bridge.  It and another HT then proceeded to drive onto the bridge several times, and each time they stopped in the middle and reversed back off again.  The wreck wasn't blocking the bridge so I'm not sure what was stopping them.

On 9/13/2024 at 3:12 PM, Vacillator said:

👍

Vehicle.  From memory two HTs crossed the bridge and one was KO'd with a demo charge a bit further up the road.  The other retreated back over the bridge.  It and another HT then proceeded to drive onto the bridge several times, and each time they stopped in the middle and reversed back off again.  The wreck wasn't blocking the bridge so I'm not sure what was stopping them.

That's interesting, I have come across similar things during testing.

I wonder if the AI may treat the bridge as longer than it actually is for pathfinding purposes?  In other words, it tries to force itself to enter and exit in a straight line and thus finds itself blocked by the wreck?

On 9/13/2024 at 9:31 PM, Erwin said:

Am impressed that a guy who joined only last Sunday could create a scenario already.

On 9/13/2024 at 9:47 PM, Centurian52 said:

He's probably been playing the games longer than he's been a member of the forums. Still, it looks pretty impressive for a first attempt at a scenario.

Thanks both, as Centurian says, I've been playing a while longer.  I created an account so I could post the scenario.

10 hours ago, General_Porpoise said:

I wonder if the AI may treat the bridge as longer than it actually is for pathfinding purposes?  In other words, it tries to force itself to enter and exit in a straight line and thus finds itself blocked by the wreck?

I would only say that the history of 'bridge bugs' goes back a long way.  I've only been playing since 2020, but there is more discussion in earlier threads.

I've experienced 'rubber banding' where vehicles suddenly bounce back to an earlier position, as well as vehicles driving through the road surface and ending up under the bridge, plus of course the type of 'refusal to cross' in your battle.  Has it stopped me playing?  No, but in at least one battle in a Bulge campaign it stopped me in my tracks for a lot of turns, and probably cost me a better victory in that battle.

As for your battle, the wreck was well off the bridge (the demo charge was thrown through the gap in the wall further up the street) so should not have made any difference.  And as it was my enemy's vehicles refusing to cross I was of course less bothered 😉.

@General_Porpoise

After a reasonable time away, I'm giving this a go as the SS.  One comment so far, the Italian 47mm was set up on their right flank in my game (part of one of the 5 AI plans you mentioned) in what seemed to me to be a reasonable position.  However, on zooming in I noticed they were facing in the opposite direction - i.e. towards the rear corner of the map behind them, not towards my advancing Germans.

Onwards...