CMSF2 Canadian Campaign - Hearts and Minds WIP

I finally finished the Arghandab Valley Master Map (see other thread) and have began the initial design for a Canadian campaign using this beast. The Campaign, Hearts and Minds will depict the actions of the 2nd Bn Royal Canadian Regiment beginning in May of 2007. While based somewhat on actual units the campaign is semi-historical at best. Each mission will use downsized chunks of the Master Map. It took me 45 minutes just to downsize the master for the first mission to give you an idea of how big the map is. Im sure those with beefy ram systems will handle this better as I will include the master map in the final download.

A quick overview: You will be in command of a battalion from the RCR, one platoon of Leopard C2 tanks of the Lord Strathcona's Horse, a company of  combat engineers as well as a Kandak of ANA as core units. Other supporting elements will make an appearance as well. Your mission is to gain control of the valley from the Taliban and win the hearts and minds of the local population. You will be operating out of a FOB as well as a PB(Patrol Base) and there will be a variety of missions to hopefully give a good feel for what the fighting was like.

I have tried to be as accurate as possible in my unit designations and stuff but I may ask for some help from some testers once it moves along to iron out any discrepancies.

I am using a number of mods, which will be tagged to this campaign and of course I will give credit to those authors. The ANA was derived from Zeroboy's excellent ANA uniform mod which came from Syrian skins but I had to change the uniforms to Dutch to get them to show up as Blue Force along with the Canadians. I still can't get the face skin he made to show on them and their weapon load out isn't quite correct as well as the vehicles, so some stretching of the mind may be required. I really wanted them in the campaign.

I will keep it updated as the campaign moves along. Here is a link to some screenshots from the campaign.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/w6w54pbk134tzxx,zamtqs38zmqkrqh,bmi3m82jwadkk3o,pxae5qxszjfyapa,r5isk7vfqrqfzqr/shared

Mike

On 6/15/2024 at 7:54 PM, dragonwynn said:

The ANA was derived from Zeroboy's excellent ANA uniform mod which came from Syrian skins but I had to change the uniforms to Dutch to get them to show up as Blue Force along with the Canadians.

Are you saying you could not get Syrians to appear along side the Canadians as part of the blue force? Or are you saying you could not get said Syrians to have the modded uniforms?

The first problem is fixed by creating the initial forces in a blue vs red battle and then switching the scenario to be red vs red to select Syrians into the blue force (I think the controls are on the Mission Data UI pane but I'm not at my gaming computer so I am not 100% sure). Then switch the scenario back afterwards. I recently did something similar with mod tags to for a side project that will be depicting a fight in Africa. Got both the uniforms and faces to work on the blue side.

Sounds like a fun project.

7 hours ago, A Canadian Cat said:

Are you saying you could not get Syrians to appear along side the Canadians as part of the blue force? Or are you saying you could not get said Syrians to have the modded uniforms?

The first problem is fixed by creating the initial forces in a blue vs red battle and then switching the scenario to be red vs red to select Syrians into the blue force (I think the controls are on the Mission Data UI pane but I'm not at my gaming computer so I am not 100% sure). Then switch the scenario back afterwards. I recently did something similar with mod tags to for a side project that will be depicting a fight in Africa. Got both the uniforms and faces to work on the blue side.

Sounds like a fun project.

Dang man I didn’t even think of that. Must be getting senile lol. Thanks I will give that a try.

Look like very nice, Mike, and in quality of reshade this give a special aspect, is this the view that you have when you play your CM series ?

Or perhaps is "only" a picture that you have reworked for the forum, it will be interresting to give infos of your config to have this aspect... anyway, looking for this campaign !

Edited by JM Stuff

3 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Look like very nice, Mike, and in quality of reshade this give a special aspect, is this the view that you have when you play your CM series ?

Or perhaps is "only" a picture that you have reworked for the forum, it will be interresting to give infos of your config to have this aspect... anyway, looking for this campaign !

No I doctored the screens in photoshop just for a little artistic flair. Not some of my better work lol.

So for a quick update. I've completed the first two missions of the campaign and beginning on the third. After finding some additional info on the Canadian involvement in the war I went back and restructured the core TOE so I hope it will be correct for the time period. Also got the hopefully correct names for the main commanders for each of the Core Units.

Resolved the ANA uniform issue so now they are equipped with the correct uniforms and weapons that the original mod had.

Made a few adjustments to both the master map and the cut downs for the first two missions. They will not be exact to reality but I hope will give some good terrain to fight through. In the first two missions the maps are a bit larger than was needed for the force composition involved. I did this just to add scale to the surroundings so the fights won't be so claustrophobic.

The units will hopefully be historic but the battles are just based on firefights and engagements I have read about. The FOB and Patrol Base are real bases for the Canadians but their location on the map is probably not correct. So once again please consider this as a semi-historical campaign.

I will update more as it progresses and hopefully have some more screen shots soon.