German small unit armoured tactics 1944, 'PART 4: Techniques – methods of undertaking movement tasks by tanks in combat’

This is ‘PART 4: Techniques – methods of undertaking movement tasks by tanks in combat’ of the short longer than originally planned series giving an overview of the tactical fundamentals and principles behind WWII German tactical drills and combat formations commonly used in 1944 using examples from Combat Mission Red Thunder to illustrate key points. 

In Part 4 we look at the specific ‘battle drills’ and associated movement techniques used by the German tank platoon to gain superiority in a firefight with enemy forces.

Part 5 will be looking at training programmes etc and jeezo, was that a rabbit hole...

Hopefully this will be of use to both players and thsoe interested in this time period. It was originally intended to complement the tank tactical problem series I created.

As an aside when you start digging into this is becomes even more painfully clear how a dogged emphasis doctrinally and values wise on "unexpected, concentrated and determined attack; aggressive leadership and daring operations." coupled with increasingly minimally trained crews (and training hampered by lack of resources both human and material), and just as importantly, tank and small unit commanders, would only lead to needless losses. 

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

Very nice George, it could only be bettered with a personal narration 😉.

Ye’ve no heard me spake! I did one video where I spoke and seemingly my accent aka brogue was too strong! 🤣

1 hour ago, George MC said:

Ye’ve no heard me spake! I did one video where I spoke and seemingly my accent aka brogue was too strong! 🤣

That's exactly what I wanted 😉.  I'm from 'up north' don't forget, just not as far as you.

Edited by Vacillator

1 hour ago, George MC said:

Nae a west coaster - wee bit more like this:

That was brilliant. It's a shame that "Chewin' the fat" isn't on the BBC iPlayer. It's also a shame that BFC didn't get someone from north of the border to do the voices for 15th Inf Div.

On 4/12/2024 at 10:52 AM, Warts 'n' all said:

That was brilliant. It's a shame that "Chewin' the fat" isn't on the BBC iPlayer. It's also a shame that BFC didn't get someone from north of the border to do the voices for 15th Inf Div.

I voiced for CMSF - even did sweary stuff!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

If tis nae Scottish, tis crrrrrrrrrrrap!

We’d probably say ‘sh*te’ or pish ;)

but the sentiment is correct ;)

’wha’s like us? Thaurs damn few a’n they’re a’ deid!’

Edited by George MC

17 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I only play the WW2 titles.

I was the same until very recently.  I'm now having my baptism of fire in a Cold War PBEM.  My performance so far could be described as ...

6 hours ago, George MC said:

‘sh*te’ or pish

On 4/13/2024 at 12:20 PM, George MC said:

We’d probably say ‘sh*te’ or pish ;)

but the sentiment is correct ;)

’wha’s like us? Thaurs damn few a’n they’re a’ deid!’

My line actually comes from an ancient Saturday Night Live skit, long ago when it was actually funny.

We used to employ it on this forum way back in the day.