Great AAR from the tank museum on YouTube

I like the video overall. It was a plausible version of events that mostly made sense. And putting everything on a map was helpful for understanding what was happening. The main issue was that there are already so many different versions of the story (this is apparently one of the most overstudied engagements of the entire war) that I would have liked for them to provide some arguments for why I should trust their version more than any other version I may have heard. Just hearing them tell their version, without them making any attempt to establish why their version is more credible than other versions, only left me knowing one more version of the story without giving me any real confidence that I now have a better idea of what really happened.

I am still curious about why Wittman attacked with just his own Tiger if he had a platoon of Tigers. Did his radio break so he couldn't order the others forward? If so, why didn't they follow when they saw him moving forward (or did they not see him moving forward?)? Did he order them to remain behind? If so, why? The need to attack quickly wouldn't have precluded calling a simple "follow me!" over the radio. The possibilities I can think of are:

1. His radio was broken, and the rest of his platoon didn't see him moving. I think this would have been perfectly excusable for all parties.

2. His radio was broken, the rest of his platoon did see him, but didn't think to follow him. This would reflect poorly on his platoon.

3. It just didn't occur to him to order the rest of the platoon forward. This would have made him a bad platoon commander.

4. He ordered the rest of the platoon to stay behind to provide security. I don't quite know why they couldn't have provided better security to his tank by staying with him, but it's conceivable that someone could argue that this made sense.

5. He ordered the rest of the platoon to stay behind because he wanted all the glory to himself. This would have made him an abysmal platoon commander.

6. The rest of the Pln were having breakfast but it was spoiled and they had terrible diarrhea so Wittman had to personally set off on a basic recon and he unexpectedly found himself doing a "Ride of the Valkyries".  

3 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

calling a simple "follow me!"

We all know that's not simple.  Oh hang on, you're talking about RL 🤣.

As for the Lone Tiger tactic, when I played George's version, I adopted a different approach.  And it worked.

52 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

As for the Lone Tiger tactic, when I played George's version, I adopted a different approach.  And it worked.

I think we all have to adopt a different approach. Mainly because George wasn't able to create a "everything stops for tea" battle plan for the Allied AI.