Help with Smoke! (searched already)

Greetings

Having read most of the posts on trouble with smoke and buildings, I have noticed the primary video card "culprits" are either voodoo2 or ATI. I have a Voodoo3 3000 for my high-end system and while building transparency is great, High-quality smoke looks like many transluscent grey squares floating up into the sky. No amount of twiddling has fixed this. Fast and compatible works alright. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks

Jonathan

(I'm Back!)

Guest ChrisC1009

Same exact problem here. I'm using a Vodoo3-2000. The High QUality smoke looks porked, while fast and compatible looks ok.

Banshee card (monster fusion) High quality and fast and compatible look the same except that fast and compatible is smaller. No trasparent buildings either but the explosions are trasparent. ???

Still looks great though! smile.gif

Thanks for your replies-----I was wondering whether it was related to a specific Directx and voodoo driver but you both seem to be using up-to-date software whilst I still have DX6.1 and slightly older V3 drivers and the result seems identical. It would seem not to be DX or video driver related.

I must say I am quite happy with the more solid smoke option but if anyone uncovers anything further Id be interested in the info.

Thanks

Hmmm...

I'm using DirectX7 and the drivers that came packaged (11/99) with the card.

I guess I'll try the January driver update (though it's 6+ meg, so it'll wait):

http://www.3dfxgamers.com/drivers/voodoo3/voodoo3_win9x_1.04.00.stm

Also, I never updated to DirectX7a; may as well (little download).

3DFX seems pretty good about posting patches and notes for particular games; if we ever figure this out it might be worth bringing to their attention.

Guest ChrisC1009

STOP the presses.

I downloaded this latest driver referenced above and my smoke problem is FIXED.

I love the translucent smoke!

Upgrade the driver ASAP if you are having smoke probelms

Guest Big Time Software

As you have all once again reinforced... 9 times out of 10 it is the drivers that are at fault wink.gif Oh boy don't we love drivers!

Steve

hi,

thanks for all the answers.

The voodoo3 problem seems to be solved with the lastest drivers, but I'm having still problems with my voodoo 2. If I go at 3dfxgamers.com to download the Diamond monster 3d II drivers, they redirect me to The Diamond Multimedia site, and those drivers are already installed on my system.

thnx for any help,

S.

Guest Big Time Software

Silencer,

I'm sorry to say that as far as we know, the Voodoo2 manufacturers have never provided a driver that will show translucent smoke effects properly in CM. Thankfully, they did fix the Voodoo3 driver, as mentioned above.

Charles

ok, got the new 3dfx-drivers installed for my voodoo2. version of 27/01/2000.

Still having the same problem -> transluscent grey squares. Not such a big difference with black smoke, but it sure looks bad on white smoke.

then I tested all the video modes.

the voodoo2 directX 7 drivers always gives problems. (the squares)

next --> my primary display (Matrox Millenium G200) When i test it to use for CM, it also gives me the squares in the smoke and it's not transluscent.

last option: In sofwaremode the squares are gone. But the grafics are really bad and a FPS of 0.5 or something :-(

I hope someone can help me out.

S.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

As you have all once again reinforced... 9 times out of 10 it is the drivers that are at fault wink.gif Oh boy don't we love drivers!

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't have said it better, Steve. smile.gif

What does it take for people to realise that they need to keep on top of current drivers? At least video drivers and then DirectX drivers.

Mouse drivers don't seem to matter all that much. At least I've never had any problems with mouse drivers. (knock on wood) wink.gif

------------------

"Why don't we say that we took this one chance, and fought!"

"Stupid humans. Hahahahahahaha!"

--from the film Battlefield Earth

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Mouse drivers don't seem to matter all that much.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya know, I would have said the same thing last week. But oh how I have learned. smile.gif

Several people have reported crash/lockup bugs which have been traced to obsolete "Intellimouse" and Logitech mouse (yes mouse!) drivers. Fortunately, updating the drivers cures the trouble, but it's not the first thing I would have suggested people check. Now it's near the top of the list!

Charles

Preliminary test with Matrox G200 revealed:

HiQuality smoke: white, rotating polygons.

No transparent building walls, either.

Also, the in-game sound is missing. The title music is played, though.

Have to check on drivers, DirectX ...

yup, i have the same results with the G200.

Time to upgrade I guess. Will the new Nvidia Geforce 2 chip do the job?

I saw that Creative has a card out in that chipset; the Annihilator 2. (kick ass card)

S.

btw, what's the highest resolution CM can go in 3D? Wasn't it 1600x1200?