Bad Code in CMBN makes me angry enough to QUIT!

WimO

I have been playing the Combat Mission series since Barbarossa to Berlin and as many of you know I have created a number of historical maps, scenarios and campaigns for the community. I have had a love/hate relationship with the game; loving how the game plays, player options and scenario editor but hating a dozen other features that I have written off as minor and chosen to endure. Until today love trumped hate. But that all ends today.

I have been playing "The Road to Nijmegen" campaign co-operatively with a friend. During today's turn one of our Sherman tanks which should have been out of the LOS of a hidden German A/Tk gun (an 88) due to the fact that between the gun and the tank there stood a row of multistorey, UNDAMAGED buildings. However the 'program' thinks otherwise. The gun fires, and the shot travels at street level, right through the intervening  buildings, WITHOUT CAUSING DAMAGE to the buildings and KIA's the tank. FUBAR! FUBAR! FUBAR! I am so angry. Are these buildings transparent? invisible to the program code? This is finally one issue too many for me.

I QUIT

Excuse me for shouting.

ONE: The Tank at the bottom of the screen grab is about the get KIA'd. You can see the shot coming at the top. It seems to be flying over the building but is actually at street level as in picture TWO

TWO: The tank about to get KIA'd is outside of the picture at the bottom. Not the one in the picture. You can see the shot flying between two buildings at street level. It is presently on the far side of the buildings hiding our tank.

THREE: Out tank has been hit. The shot has flown through the undamaged buildings just above it in the picture. No damage to buildings. These buildings should have blocked the gun's LOS to the tank.

ONE.jpg

TWO.jpg

THREE - Absurd.jpg

4 minutes ago, WimO said:

Yes, multiple. It appears that we have been receiving the 'silly' fire for more than one turn.

I think they're asking for you to share the save file here.

If you think it's an actual bug, it may be worth creating a helpdesk ticket here: https://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/

Remember to share the save file, screenshots, and other info.

Edited by Grey_Fox

As a guess: the 88 spotted and engaged the Sherman in the second pic but missed it and the round went through the building and hit the Sherman you lost.

An 88mm AP shell shouldn't have too many problems going through a building (range dependent, obviously) and it's not going to damage the building that much- it's only going to leave an 88mm sized hole after all.

But hard to tell without the save file.

The save file zipped is 9.77 MB, too large to upload here.

I input all the data for a support 'ticket'.

I am as yet unconvinced that the AI's A/Tk gun was shooting at the Firefly on the side of the building visible to the gun because the killer shot plus multiple follow-up shots during the same turn (the Sherman is not yet flaming and confirmed KIA to the gun) all pass far to the rear of the Firefly.

Lack of damage to the buildings might be explained by the gun's round being A/Tk and not HE. However the follow up shots all demolish the stone wall behind the originally KIA'd tank.

Edited by WimO