SPW 251/10 (ausf D) refuses to fire

I am playing the Linking up and Breaking Out scenario.  I have a SPW 251/10 (ausf D) halftrack with a 37mm L/45 gun that has a grayed out target button. I cannot get it to fire.  It has a full crew and quite a bit of ammo.  I have put the crew into open up status but still no target button.  Is this a bug or am I not doing something I should?

Everything is green good on the damage panel including the 37mm gun.  Also tons of 37mm ammo.   I have tried several times on different turns to target but no luck.  Within the C panel, the only option available is face.  All others are grayed out.   I strongly suspect a bug.  

Have you tried to restart the scenario?

No, I am actually under 20 minutes left in the scenario.  There is only one 251/10 available in the scenario and originally carried a HQ squad.  I know it fired earlier in the game because it knocked out a Cromwell.  .....Just did a test by reloading a much earlier saved turn.   I could target the HT when it was carrying the HQ squad.  Then I unloaded the HQ squad and the HT could still target.    So it was working earlier in the game.  Looking at more saved turns, it lost the targeting ability somewhere between turns 28 and 26 despite showing no damage to the vehicle or gun on now turn 19.  Guessing a bug or damage inflicted but not showing up in the damage panel.

2 hours ago, FogForever said:

No, I am actually under 20 minutes left in the scenario.  There is only one 251/10 available in the scenario and originally carried a HQ squad.  I know it fired earlier in the game because it knocked out a Cromwell.  .....Just did a test by reloading a much earlier saved turn.   I could target the HT when it was carrying the HQ squad.  Then I unloaded the HQ squad and the HT could still target.    So it was working earlier in the game.  Looking at more saved turns, it lost the targeting ability somewhere between turns 28 and 26 despite showing no damage to the vehicle or gun on now turn 19.  Guessing a bug or damage inflicted but not showing up in the damage panel.

Sounds stupid enough, but I too thought about a manning issue. What’s the crew of your HT, without the HQ guys?

5 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Sounds stupid enough, but I too thought about a manning issue. What’s the crew of your HT, without the HQ guys?

Me too, have you still got enough guys on board to man the gun?  I'm playing a PBEM where I dismounted the HQ team from a US halftrack and there was no-one left to fire the gun.

I will confirm manpower for firing the gun this weekend.  I did pull the HQ squad out of the HT and could still target w/the HT.  So I think the HT gun could be fired with the 2 man crew...but maybe they had to be stationary.  I will do a more thorough test on an old saved turn.

Just to make things really confusing. Some times you get a two-man HQ Team and the half-track crewman will act as Loader. Meaning that when you dismount the HQ Team he will then act as both Loader and Gunner.

But I've also known the HQ Team to consist of only one man, and the spare half track crewman is not designated as a Loader, and therefore if you dismount the HQ Team the targeting options grey out.

Just did the test using earlier turn.  Unloaded Hq Squad and had them leave the area.  Then moved the HT into position to fire at a building and gave target order.  The HT fired away with only 2 people in the HT.  I noticed the gunner had a shell symbol in the unit box.  Then I went to my current turn and noticed that the gunner no longer has the shell symbol but an MP-40 SMG symbol.  I am wondering if at some point, the gunner grabbed a SMG for close up defense and now, no longer serves as the gunner.  Thus without the 2nd crew member serving as a gunner, I can't target or fire the 37mm gun any longer.  Seems to be what happened.  

57 minutes ago, FogForever said:

Just did the test using earlier turn.  Unloaded Hq Squad and had them leave the area.  Then moved the HT into position to fire at a building and gave target order.  The HT fired away with only 2 people in the HT.  I noticed the gunner had a shell symbol in the unit box.  Then I went to my current turn and noticed that the gunner no longer has the shell symbol but an MP-40 SMG symbol.  I am wondering if at some point, the gunner grabbed a SMG for close up defense and now, no longer serves as the gunner.  Thus without the 2nd crew member serving as a gunner, I can't target or fire the 37mm gun any longer.  Seems to be what happened.  

Did you try to move the HT a few meters back? Perhaps, that triggers the AI to „re-consider” the threat level and free the guy for other tasks.

Ok, I found the solution/workaround.   Dismount the HT crew and then have them reload back on to the HT.  When they remount, the gunner regains his gunner function and the HT can target and fire the 37mm gun.   Took awhile but problem solved.

I did try the move HT away from known enemies and I didn't see any change.  Of course, I am not sure if I had moved even further away whether that might have solved the problem.  

Edited by FogForever

Also during this game, I discovered one building in which the door did not function.  I did a dash across the street, the unit couldn't enter through the door and then ran all the way down the street, then moved behind the housing row and then to the back of the house.  Very lucky to have survived that odyssey.  Probably lucky they did the entire journey on fast mode.   Is that an easy fix if I try to edit the building?

Edited by FogForever

30 minutes ago, FogForever said:

Also during this game, I discovered one building in which the door did not function.  I did a dash across the street, the unit couldn't enter through the door and then ran all the way down the street, then moved behind the housing row and then to the back of the house.  Very lucky to have survived that odyssey.  Probably lucky they did the entire journey on fast mode.   Is that an easy fix if I try to edit the building?

That‘s an issue of „scenario design carefulness“. 

I had it a few times, too, that I thought my guys would just need to dash across a street and take cover in the next building. Instead, they run down a narrow street, turn at the next corner, run back through gardens and enter the building through a back door. If still alive to do so…
I am not a Designer or Modder, but the buildings consist of an „internal structure“ and the skin, which you see in the game. I.e., if you see a door in the skin, it does not necessarily mean, that there is one in the structure, too.

I have the impression, sometimes designers do by purpose not provide a door in the structure. E.g. to simulate a closed door, which cannot be easily broken.

In other cases, it seems, that such is just a design glitch.

As so often in CM: That’s life, not everything is predictable.

Sorry, to answer your question: You would have to change the building model and use a wall with openings, instead of a solid one. 

Edited by StieliAlpha

39 minutes ago, FogForever said:

Ok, I found the solution/workaround.   Dismount the HT crew and then have them reload back on to the HT.  When they remount, the gunner regains his gunner function and the HT can target and fire the 37mm gun.   Took awhile but problem solved.

I did try the move HT away from known enemies and I didn't see any change.  Of course, I am not sure if I had moved even further away whether that might have solved the problem.  

That’s about the idea, which I had: Just give the AI a different context to come to a different solution.

E.g., though some people would strongly disagree, I have the impression if a vehicle is bogged, it helps to give a “reverse” order, to get it free again.

Yes, I did some map modding on Ageod Games.  There was usually an underlying file which defined the attributes of the hex.  I imagine something similar with CM2.  If I could identify the house and link it to its file and if the file is accessible and editable, I could fix it.  Otherwise BF would have to do it.  

22 minutes ago, FogForever said:

Yes, I did some map modding on Ageod Games.  There was usually an underlying file which defined the attributes of the hex.  I imagine something similar with CM2.  If I could identify the house and link it to its file and if the file is accessible and editable, I could fix it.  Otherwise BF would have to do it.  

BF will most certainly not get involved in fixing building models. My suggestions would be:

- post your question in the CMBN mod forum.

- ask the scenario designer for help. You should find his name in the briefing.

- try contact one of the building Modders directly and ask for help. Kieme comes to my mind, but search on the FGM site, for building mods and find out who the modders are. You most probably find the guys here, too.

Otherwise:

@BFCElvis

or

@kohlenklau

may be able to provide more assistance.

Cheers and good luck.

Edited by StieliAlpha

2 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

I have the impression if a vehicle is bogged, it helps to give a “reverse” order, to get it free again.

I also still do this Andreas, as I have a vague feeling that it works beter than just trying to plow on.  But it might just be coincidence that it has worked for me.

30 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I also still do this Andreas, as I have a vague feeling that it works beter than just trying to plow on.  But it might just be coincidence that it has worked for me.

Yep, I always wonder if it is only wishful thinking, but as long as I feel it helps…

Interesting , only today I watched a documentary about the impact of tokens on people performance. Statistically it seems to help, if you believe some token supports you.