The wide variety of RAF air assents during the Cold War game period.

Sequoia

I've been looking into this and so far, here are all the aircraft types I've identified that the RAF could have had in North Germany for ground support.

Of course, I'd be happy to be corrected.

F4 Phantom

Sepecat Jaguar

Hawker Hunter

Blackburn Buccaneer

BAE Hawk

Hawker Siddeley Harrier

• 3 weeks later...

Tornado IDS, means interdictor strike, designed for deep strike, at low level. In the balance of things, it would not be used as close support, too Good at other things... More likely getting shot down over East German airfields, bridges, high value targets many miles behind the frontline. Harrier, absolutely 100%, the prime CAS platform, operating from makeshift airfields, autobahns etc near the frontline. Phantom, Jaguar, don’t know… maybe for both, there will be plenty of written sources on their mission profiles. Hawk and Hunter no, for reasons others have said.

What about helos? Gazelles?

In general, my take on a cold war gone hot situation is that airplanes that depend on functioning airfields would become very scarce very quickly.

1) I'd expect airbases to be heavily targeted by deep strikes by aircraft & by short range ballistic missiles targeting infrastructure. It doesn't matter how good the F15 is compared to the Mig 21 if all the bases fuel is burning out and the runway is cratered. 

2) I'd also expect attrition to be very high on both sides. NATO AA air sorties would down a lot of WP planes & helos and WP SAM coverage & AAA was no joke. 

I think the combination of 1 & 2 would make CAS a pretty scarce asset to actually have access to for both sides. 

H

• 2 weeks later...