Infamous bridge bug?

PEB14

Hi everyone,

This is my second scenario beyond the tutorials, and it's getting pretty frustrating. I encountered two "bugs", one which may be only "newbieness", but another real, boring bug.

I'm playing CMFI "Avanti!!" scenario. I am trying two make my R-35 tanks cross the first bridge. Once in the middle of the bridge, the first tank stops to fire on a distant target. It will NEVER move again. Never. I cancelled all orders to give new ones, asked for a short-range armor target to keep him from targets distractions, I saved and reloaded. Nope. No way. Won't move. I have put his HQ tank next to him and unbuttoned both of them: no Sir. I won't move. I'm very pleased where I am, blowing the bridge.

The tank is completely undamaged:

Sans titre.jpg

It's getting really boring when the second tank ENTERS the first one and gets pausing every two seconds without moving anymore. Now I've got two tanks stuck at the same position.

Sans titre3.jpg

And the HQ tank, right behind them, refuses to reverse to another place to fight.

Don't tell me it's on purpose… Shall I report a bug?

Other bug (or misunderstanding): in this scenario I have got three light mortars and one FO team, the latter with a radio. I don't know why, by the way, because absolutely NO other Italian unit has a radio. Well, I placed the FO team right next to one mortar team and its HQ: impossible to call for indirect fire. Any time, any place, with any HQ unit. No indirect fire. I looked at somme AARs on the web: they shall be able to. So what's the hint here?

Hopefully they proved more useful in direct fire than those damn f**g tanks!

Edited by PEB14
Putting images in proper position

52 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

The indirect fire thing I have no idea about - Italian comms are notoriously poor though.  The bridge thing is well-known, has been worked on extensively and has proved impossible to completely eliminate so far.

Thanks for the information!

One question though: what bug is well known? The poor handling of vehicles movement on an obstructed bridge, or the fact that a vehicle might get stuck in the middle of the bridge without any reason?

The first issue I can understand, the second one looks a lot more strange!

By the way, what is the advice of the senior players to avoid this bridge thing? (Don't answer "avoid crossing bridges with vehicles", please…)

PS: I have finished the scenario with my first total victory, despite having two tanks stuck on the bridge (the HQ tank finally managed to reverse away). I'm quite happy with that. But the AI had no issue crossing the other bridge with several halftracks. I'm jealous.

It defies description - vehicles/personnel either fall through bridges and in the case of vehicles will drive over them when they're supposed to go under them and, as in your case, get stuck on them.  Sometimes other vehicles can pass the stuck vehicle but it is rare in my experience.  As a scenario designer I'm just wary of bridges full stop so tend to stay away from designing something for which crossing an obstacle which is key to mission accomplishment is dependent on a single bridge functioning.  In terms of fixing it - no idea.  We have had builds where they work and then a subsequent build stops them working, in the next one it will work, rinse and repeat ad infinitum.  Replacing the bridge in the editor sometimes helps but not always.  It is a headscratcher for which a solution is being sought but has not been found yet.

3 hours ago, PEB14 said:

Thanks for the information!

One question though: what bug is well known? The poor handling of vehicles movement on an obstructed bridge, or the fact that a vehicle might get stuck in the middle of the bridge without any reason?

The first issue I can understand, the second one looks a lot more strange!

By the way, what is the advice of the senior players to avoid this bridge thing? (Don't answer "avoid crossing bridges with vehicles", please…)

PS: I have finished the scenario with my first total victory, despite having two tanks stuck on the bridge (the HQ tank finally managed to reverse away). I'm quite happy with that. But the AI had no issue crossing the other bridge with several halftracks. I'm jealous.

Although there's no magic fix it seems to help to put 1 waypoint before and 1 waypoint after the bridge. Making sure there is enough space between vehicles moving over also helps preventing a cluster****.

15 hours ago, Erwin said:

It definitely helps to have the vehicle approach the bridge exactly on the same axis as the bridge.  Am wondering if players are trying to make vehicles turn b4 a bridge.

Indeed. That's exactly what I did with my stuck tank. Smooth turn before the bridge, along the road, to position the tank along the axis of the bridge, then one waypoint just before (at the end of the turn) and one after the bridge.

My mistake might have been to use the hunt command, but I'm pretty sure that I went for a standard "move" command, and that the R35 stops because of TacAI overrule…

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Did you also try putting waypoints on the bridge itself?

No I didn't. One right before, and one just after. And as the first tank stopped, no chance for another try.

From now on, I remember to save before each bridge crossing…

On 1/30/2023 at 4:56 PM, Erwin said:

FWIW I generally put one or more waypoint(s) on the bridge as well (assuming the bridge is long enuff).  It can still happen that there is a bug, but I rarely have bridge crossing problems.

I take the advice. Thanks.

I can't speak for placing waypoints on the bridge itself, though I think this is a bad idea. Any kind of stopping on the bridge or redirection of your vehicle can cause the bridge bug. That's why I place waypoints on both ends of a bridge and take care to make sure nobody runs into each other. Once they stop they can get bugged. That's also why I say don't use the hunt command. No stopping on bridges.

16 hours ago, Artkin said:

Any kind of stopping on the bridge or redirection of your vehicle can cause the bridge bug

Agreed, there probably should be no delay at a waypoint on a bridge.  But so long as the vehicle is lined up on the exact same axis as the bridge b4 it enters the bridge, any waypoints on the bridge itself should not alter its direction.  All I can say is that I very rarely have bridge crossing issues.