Original Six (6) "On-Screen" View Buttons

HBlake

I haven't bought a single game for the CM series since CMBB for this simple reason-they got rid of the 6 original "on-screen" buttons that allowed user to move screen -up/down-left/right-rotate left/rotate right. I have found the view methods in the current versions to be frustrating and will not buy a game until they return those buttons. I love this series but cannot enjoy it without those "on-screen" buttons. Return them and I will start buying probably every version available.

Edited by HBlake

• HBlake changed the title to Original Six (6) "On-Screen" View Buttons

I too had all three CMx1 Games and remember those 6 movement buttons, they worked Ok enough (thou, had a clunky feel)...However, I'm really happy that CM went to this newer way of mouse movement (which are similar to most games on market). 

Come On, HBlake, you will get use to it and never look back 🙂

Edited by JoMac

Yeah moving your camera with your keyboard is the only way to play. If youre using your mouse to move the camera around - that's super inefficient. I set my regular movement keys to WASD, my up/down (camera elevation) to q and z respectively. I also set x and c to rotate left and right respectively. I'm not home so I can't upload my hotkey .txt file.

Yeah if you're using your mouse to move the camera that's nuts. Here are the hotkeys I assigned. Just replace the first two sections in the Hotkeys.txt file found in your battlefront documents -> CMGAME -> user data

"

Command Keys Direct
//FAST
<E>,
//QUICK
<E>M
//MOVE
<E>N
//SLOW
<E>B
//HUNT
<E>L
//ASSAULT
<E>
//REVERSE
<E>G
//BLAST
<E>
//MARK MINES
<E>
//CLEAR MINES
<E>I
//HULL DOWN
<E>.
//TARGET
<E>T
//TARGET LIGHT
<E>Y
//TARGET ARC
<E>K
//CLEAR TARGET
<E>
//FACE
<E>R
//TARGET SMOKE
<E>
//TARGET ARMOR ARC
<E>
//TARGET BRIEFLY
<E>
//DEPLOY WEAPON
<E>/
//PAUSE
<E>P
//HIDE
<E>H
//DISMOUNT
<E>U
//BAIL OUT
<E>
//OPEN UP
<E>O
//POP SMOKE
<E>;
//ACQUIRE
<E>
//SPLIT TEAMS
<E>H
//ASSAULT TEAM
<E>
//ANTITANK TEAM
<E>
//SCOUT TEAM
<E>
//DRIVER TEAM
<E>
//CONSOLIDATE SQUAD
<E>J

Camera Keys
//MOVE FORWARD
<E>W
//MOVE LEFT
<E>A
//MOVE RIGHT
<E>D
//MOVE BACK
<E>S
//ROTATE LEFT
<E>X
//ROTATE RIGHT
<E>C
//REVERSE DIRECTION
<E>
//RAISE
<E>Q
//LOWER
<E>Z
//ZOOM OUT
<E>-
//ZOOM IN
<E>+
//WIDE ANGLE
<E>'

"

• 4 weeks later...

Battlefront-please code a file that adds those buttons (I can't imagine it will take a designer more than 15 mins) and then sell it to me-ill pay what you want. I played so many hours of CMBB with those controls -after all these years it is still engrained in me. Any other configuration fells so uncomfortable and unnatural.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 7:06 PM, Artkin said:

I dont understand why anybody would use virtual buttons when you have an entire physical keyboard to use for just that. Nor why they would waste their time on such a redundant feature.

I prefer also using the space key with the pop up menu for differents kind of commands, in fact I think if we could hidding this 6 buttons menus, or manage the opacity, we could perhaps have a better view of the background of the field, but not sure about this ??

I will make some tests with a background menu with less opacity !! 

On 1/29/2023 at 8:18 PM, Blazing 88&#x27;s said:

Strange.... For me, I guess working in a 3D environment (3ds Max or any 3d program for that matter) the camera seems just fine for me. I am a mouse in the right hand and keyboard hotkeys on the left hand kind of guy. 🙂

Strange also to have the reflect to use the shortcuts or mouse buttons, that you use in Blender or whatever 3D programs, and wonder why this doesn t work more, but realise that you are in a CM game, and not on your 3D environnement !! 🙄😄