Battlefront Forum meme glossary

Steve Time. This is a reference to the relationship of time Steve Grammont of Battlefront estimates something will be released, to the actual time it will take. Basically one can convert Steve time to actual time by multiplying by pi. To be fair, I work in software development as a large part of my job, and this seems to be the case with most programming.

When will we see horses and/or motorcycles?

An often asked question by newcomers. The short answer is adding horses, even if they are only pulling carts, would require an enormous amount of new code and animations, as horses would be something between a vehicle and a soldier. It is also my understanding that animating horses and making it look realistic is difficult.

As for motorcycles, sure they were is use, but in the time periods developed so far, they were primarily used by couriers. Steve indicated if they ever got to developing earlier periods of the war, we may see them. There would remain the problem of players using them in recon by death however.

p. s.  I suppose recon by death is a Battlefront forum meme as well. It means sending something, especially an unarmored light vehicle, quickly forward until it's destroyed.

Edited by Sequoia
p.s

Borgspotting. A term mainly referring to the issue that, in the CMX1 games especially, if one unit on a side spotted something, all units on that side instantly became aware of it. It's a reference to the hive-mind Borg culture of Star Trek- The Next Generation.

Battlefront Pacific Theater game. Another often asked question. The short answer is that mainly infantry slogging matches in dense terrain isn't the CM engines forte. Also gameplay would likely become monotonous to too many players to make such a game commercially successful in comparison to using Battlefront's limited  resources to develop other Families. This probably holds true for a Vietnam game as well.

Special Operations. While scenario designers have shown amazing imagination in creating special operation scenarios,this again is not the Battlefront engines forte, and development resources are most probably better spent on features that are a better fit for the engine.

9 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Borgspotting. A term mainly referring to the issue that, in the CMX1 games especially, if one unit on a side spotted something, all units on that side instantly became aware of it. It's a reference to the hive-mind Borg culture of Star Trek- The Next Generation.

Now that’s a blast from the past. Good one!

On 1/16/2023 at 4:17 AM, Sequoia said:

And good lord it is gone! :D

Theoretically you never needed to open up your tanks if you had an "infantry belt" around your tanks doing all the spotting. 

Now in Cmx2 tanks with ****ty visibility actually have ****ty visibility. :D

20 hours ago, herr_oberst said:

Aah... for the glossary, you simply cannot leave out "the Cesspool"...

Herr Oberst, I assume you are referring to the Peng thread, which finally faded away after how many years? When is the last time anyone had a Peng sighting by the way?

The Battlefront Yacht: Steve claims the Battlefront owning partners are hidden in the deep wood of Maine, but we really know they have spent part of their vast fortune made from Combat Mission sales to purchase a luxurious yacht where they sip Pina Coladas while sunbathing somewhere off the Florida coast. 

Oh younglings, if you want to dig deep into the lore:

- “Brengun tripod” aka “Doroshing”- basically code for some incredibly niche and boutique feature or item that someone treats like the holy grail of gaming and if it is not included yesterday CM is now a warcrime.

- “This is my dog, I made him show his teeth”, a Ralph Wiggum of posts- sweetly honest but bafflingly obtuse.

- “Fionn me, Fionn me, take a rope and hang me!”  Reference to an imminent banning of a particularly difficult forum member.  In honour of Fionn Kelly, singing with the angels out there in the internet somewhere.

- “Peng Thread” , a nonsensical effort that set back progress of human civilization by about 50 years.  Filled with the worst  refuse and villainy that the CM community has to offer.

- “Kettler”,  Affectionate name for the resident conspiracy nut job in any discussion.  Lovably upside down the guy normally gets about a thousand chances until put down.  Really should have a blog somewhere.

- “Cold War-ing it”. Not something I totally just made up in blatant self-interest.  To finally see and enjoy a version of the game that Steve swore he would never do.  Vietnam and Arab Israeli wars there may be hope for you yet.

Edited by The_Capt