Gaming on LINUX?

markshot

13 hours ago, markshot said:

Windows has gone from a tool/facilitator to doing what I want to a captive data collection/marketing platform.

Sorry no knowledge of Linux here, but I agree that it seems like Windows (and Office) is taking control.  I now even have to use an MS enforced PIN method to log in to my own laptop, not heard of that before.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My Windows history has been hop scotch; I try to jump over the bad.  So.

MS DOS 3, MS DOS 6, WIN 95, WIN98SE, WINXP, WIN7, WIN10 ...

It really began with the release of WIN8 when they tried to turn my desktop into f--ing iPad.  They want to compete with Goggle and Apple for data and customer ownership.  What I always like about Windows was its openness and much of the unacceptable stuff; you could kill yourself.

But WIN11 is by far the worst.  It required SECURE BOOT (UEFI).  In theory TRUST is a good idea.  But who owned the rights to issue CERTIFICATES?  Dah, Microsoft.  They now owned your HW once WIN11 was installed.  You could no longer dual boot LINUX or some other release of WINDOWS.

No, we are never going to WIN11; the world of LINUX is only growing.

---

Also, since they all offer Cloud storage now.  As one YT tech channel put it.  "What's the cloud?  It is just someone else's computer."  When the story broke about DHS and DNC having direct or indirect back doors to Facebook, Twitter, and Google.  We were reminded that Apple went to federal court not to unlock an iPhone for the FBI.  But here is the back door, iCloud on Apple's servers is not encrypted.  So, if you use it.

I LOVE COMPUTERS.  I GOT INTO THE FIELD IN THE 60/70s, AND WAS INSTANTLY IN LOVE.  I STILL LOVE THEM, BUT I HATE WHAT BECAME OF MY LOVE.  IT HAS BECOME THE EMBODIMENT OF EVIL IN MANY CASES.

Yes, while I have MS 10 machines am holding onto my Win 7 machines for that reason - hope I can continue to up grade them.  Win 7 does everything I need and I have a Win 7 emulator on the Win 10 machines so as to keep the interface familiar.  Am worried that when I have to buy a new more powerful system I may be forced to have Win 11 or whatever is the latest OS as I do need to do word processing, e-mail etc.  

Microsoft has gone a different route for money from the OS.  Although they don't tell you, the servers will still except WIN7 keys for 10 & 11 upgrades.  Also, there are many sites selling OEM keys for about $15 USD.

I don't worry about security and Windows Update as a major issue; you security software should be enough.  I froze WIN10 a long time ago as the closer you get to end of life the more suspiciously your systems become unstable; like Apple where the batteries seem to start dying very quickly.

The only issue that will come up unless you really want to get technical with old OS' will be drivers as tech is changing all the time for buses, storage, blue tooth, WiFi, etc...

Most software will run on old Windows as they just want the biggest customer base.  Also, the US military is still on WIN XP.  And they pay MSFT lots to stay with it.

Now, for gamers the new generation of eCores and pCores with Intel TurboBoost 3.0 (effectively Windows overclocks two cores for gamers dynamically; keeping the heat down; and avoiding the need for permanent over clocks).  The word was you need WIN11 for the scheduler to manage this, but I will worry about it if and when I am ready to replace my current PC.