Battlefront Games on Linux

Steve_R

Recently a program called Bottles was released that allows Window's games to be played under Linux. Many of the Battlefront Games carry the notation: "The game does not work in a virtualized environment (virtual machine)".  I'm looking forward to buying a Battlefront game, but before I buy I have two questions:

1) Does Bottles constitute a virtual machine?

2) Has anyone used Bottles with a Battlefront game?

9 hours ago, Steve_R said:

Recently a program called Bottles was released that allows Window's games to be played under Linux. Many of the Battlefront Games carry the notation: "The game does not work in a virtualized environment (virtual machine)".  I'm looking forward to buying a Battlefront game, but before I buy I have two questions:

1) Does Bottles constitute a virtual machine?

2) Has anyone used Bottles with a Battlefront game?

I have used an app called Wine on MacOS which uses bottles for individual Windows apps. I did have the CMRT demo installed and running a few years ago. From my fuzzy memory it ran passably, graphics performance was the biggest compromised part, but it was playable with smaller scenarios. Have you downloaded a demo to try first? If my memory is correct that was a part of my motivation for trying Wine in the first place, for some reason I couldn't get the CMRT demo to install under MacOS, but was able to do so with Wine.

19 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I have used an app called Wine on MacOS which uses bottles for individual Windows apps. I did have the CMRT demo installed and running a few years ago. From my fuzzy memory it ran passably, graphics performance was the biggest compromised part, but it was playable with smaller scenarios. Have you downloaded a demo to try first? If my memory is correct that was a part of my motivation for trying Wine in the first place, for some reason I couldn't get the CMRT demo to install under MacOS, but was able to do so with Wine.

Good, suggestion to try a demo. I had not thought of that!!! I have successfully installed and run a few games Window's games from Wargame Design Studio.  Thanks for responding.

58 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Good, suggestion to try a demo. I had not thought of that!!! I have successfully installed and run a few games Window's games from Wargame Design Studio.  Thanks for responding.

I just checked and unfortunately I don't have Wine installed at the moment so can't confirm if it is still working. As an aside I have also used VMWare to run various flavours of Windows with CM games installed without any major issues. Again graphics tend to suffer a bit, but on modern processors and with a decent GPU performance is not too bad and certainly playable. Convenience of not having to reboot into Windows was always a plus.

The demo version of Fortress Italy loaded under bottles but did not run. Received the error message: "Could not initialize OpenGL graphics. Please update your OpenGL drivers."  I looked around the various configurations options available with bottles, but did not find an obvious way to fix. I'll make a post on the bottles forum.  Any advice from this forum?

2 hours ago, Steve_R said:

The demo version of Fortress Italy loaded under bottles but did not run. Received the error message: "Could not initialize OpenGL graphics. Please update your OpenGL drivers."  I looked around the various configurations options available with bottles, but did not find an obvious way to fix. I'll make a post on the bottles forum.  Any advice from this forum?

Assuming bottles uses Wine to actually run things. There still is a patch needed to Wine to run CMx2. Wine versions missing that will fail when initializing OpenGL.

11 hours ago, Steve_R said:

8 hours ago, Redwolf said:

Assuming bottles uses Wine to actually run things. There still is a patch needed to Wine to run CMx2. Wine versions missing that will fail when initializing OpenGL.

Ah yes, now that you both mention it I do recall that there was some futzing to be done for OpenGL support. All I can offer is hope - if I managed to get it running then it must be possible and not too difficult since I am an utter non-command line type of guy, I need my apps ready made and working generally. If I find any notes or remnants of installed stuff I will be sure to let you know.

Edited by Lucky_Strike

11 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Ah yes, now that you both mention it I do recall that there was some futzing to be done for OpenGL support. All I can offer is hope - if I managed to get it running then it must be possible and not too difficult since I am an utter non-command line type of guy, I need my apps ready made and working generally. If I find any notes or remnants of installed stuff I will be sure to let you know.

I've had many fond memories of "rebuilding" applications and even the full operating system.🤕🙄

I've taken to writing installation notes to minimize that headache. I'm currently using Linux Mint. So far, no response on OpenGL in the Bottles forum. Thanks for responding.