Play by email - error

Hello,

I have a friendm (he is not super tech savvy so I'm here on his behalf) who bought a new computer to play "Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy" with a friend of his using the play by email feature.  Everything was going fine for their first couple of games, but out of nowhere the play by email option was giving him errors  "Email save failed.  'Huzzar! 001gvh" could not be created i the outgoing email directory.  Try again?"  Trying again did nothing.o

He ran into the same problem when he was trying to create his own email game, so I don't think it had anything to do with a corrupted file from his buddy.  I went through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling the game for him in case that was an issue, but the problem persisted. 

Any help/advice would be appreciated!  I know his system is lightyears beyond what is needed to run this game, so I can't imagine that is the issue.  The only thing I can even think of at this point is that there might be a Win11 compatibility issue, but that makes no sense since the game was working for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for any time you might spend reading/replying to this!

-Steve

Hi Jedi256

I used to be Jedi001 - not really, just joking.  Anyway agree with SteiliAlpha, sounds unusual and not something I've seen.  Looking at the filename, is it perhaps trying to save with the same name?  Mine normally have a number like 001, 002 etc. at the end, not in the middle like his.

Edited by Vacillator
If only I could type...

• 2 weeks later...

@BFCElvisI appreciate the advicer you and others have given in this thread and we're still running into the same problems.  Disk space is definitely not an issue and we have even tried uninstalling/reinstalling (The reinstall we put the game folder directly in the top level C:\ drive (C:\CombatMission I believe).  We've also tried opening the game in admin mode as well as automatically opening in admin mode via the compatibility tab.  None of this has had any visible impact on the game's behavior.  He can play solo mode with 0 issues.  I had him write up a detailed list of everything he did in case that might help shed some light on the issue.  Any further things anyone can suggest would be appreciated!

Below is what my friend typed up to describe his issue:

Combat Mission Battle for Normandy

Battlefront Games

Windows 11 Operating System

Play By Email (PBEM) Failure Described…

April 28th, 2022

The PBEM feature initially worked flawlessly in the first game. The following procedure now always leads to an error message and PBEM is impossible. 

CM opening menu

1. Choose: “Battle”

Load New Game

1. Choose: “It’s a New Dawn”   (Example game but the following sequence now always happens no matter which game is selected.) 

2. Choose: “Fight!”  

3. Choose: “Allied force”

Select Game Options

1. Players: Choose: “2 players - Email”

2. Skill: Choose: “Elite”

3. Choose: “OK”

4. New Password: Choose: ”baton”   

-NOW SKIPS PLAYER’S MAPBOARD SETUP PROCESS. GOES TO: -

Save Email Game

File Name: “It’s a New Dawn 001_ “ (underline is flashing)  

1. Choose: “OK”

[ Email save failed. It’s a New Dawn001_  could not be created in the Outgoing Email directories. Try again? ]

Choose: “Yes” ( Always fails again.) 

I just followed his procedure and did not have a problem, file saved and is in my Outgoing Email folder.

The flashing underscore was there as he described, i.e. “It’s a New Dawn 001_ “ (underline is flashing) but the actual saved filename is It’s a New Dawn 001 so I think it just shows you where the cursor is in the box.  However his report then shows Email save failed. It’s a New Dawn001_  could not be created and this does have an underscore in it, not sure why?  The space before the 001 has disappeared in his fail message as well, but that may be just a typo.

Edited by Vacillator

On 5/2/2022 at 8:24 AM, Jedi256 said:

@BFCElvisI appreciate the advicer you and others have given in this thread and we're still running into the same problems.  Disk space is definitely not an issue and we have even tried uninstalling/reinstalling (The reinstall we put the game folder directly in the top level C:\ drive (C:\CombatMission I believe).  We've also tried opening the game in admin mode as well as automatically opening in admin mode via the compatibility tab.  None of this has had any visible impact on the game's behavior.  He can play solo mode with 0 issues.  I had him write up a detailed list of everything he did in case that might help shed some light on the issue.  Any further things anyone can suggest would be appreciated!

----It sounds like you just reinstalled the game without cleaning out the documents.

When you save a game it gets saved to your documents. This is probably why the reinstall did nothing.

Documents/USERNAME/Battlefront/Combat Mission Battle For Normandy/Game Files/Outgoing Email

If your game is failing to save files, then there is already a file in one of the folders under Game Files.

You should see the file you were trying to save in here, and others that you have attempted before. Delete the files you are not using in here, or archive them if you want. Either way, get them out of this folder.

If you are sending games and receiving the error, then there is a file system error in the Outgoing Email folder.

If you are saving games and receiving the error, then the issue is in the Saved Games folder.

If you are having issues with receiving games, then it's probably your Incoming Email folder.

----Another thing I've seen (Irrelevant to this post) is when there are symbols in the name the file disappears when saved. That's just something Windows can't do - symbols in file names..

Edited by Artkin