How to kill tank with artillery cannon?

geist

Generally it's a waste to try and kill armor with ordinary HE artillery.  In the CM game, even large HE caliber has less effect on peripherals than one would expect in RL.  One needs special ammo for an accurate AT target strike. 

Edited by Erwin

Artillery is bugged against armor and you won't get a realistic result. The problem is especially prevalent in the modern games so I'd just steer clear of wasting artillery on armor until they (if they) fix that.

Edit: see both of these threads for further info

and

Edited by Pelican Pal

11 hours ago, geist said:

I play a QB and hit tank with two artillery cannon and it continued to drive towards me and killed btrs. I think that it would stop but it didn't. Is there special artillery for killing tank that I do not use?

Have you tried a precision artillery strike? I am assuming so, but can't tell by your question.

Here may be another helpful link:

Edited by Blazing 88's

In a recent CMBS game that featured mostly Ukrainian forces vs Russians, I had a US spotter team with a spotter drone spotting Russian tanks.  Offboard artillery had precision rounds.  However, I was unable to select those rounds even when using the US spotter. 

Perhaps one needs to have the US spotter with direct LOS to an enemy unit so that its laser can light up the enemy unit b4 one can select a precision round.  But, I thought the drone would have been sufficient.  So, am also confused about how to use precision rounds.

7 minutes ago, Erwin said:

In a recent CMBS game that featured mostly Ukrainian forces vs Russians, I had a US spotter team with a spotter drone spotting Russian tanks.  Offboard artillery had precision rounds.  However, I was unable to select those rounds even when using the US spotter. 

Perhaps one needs to have the US spotter with direct LOS to an enemy unit so that its laser can light up the enemy unit b4 one can select a precision round.  But, I thought the drone would have been sufficient.  So, am also confused about how to use precision rounds.

I think the Excalibur precision munition works with GPS and not Laser Guidance. I use them in SF2 on static defenses like bunkers or individual houses. 

I would have to recheck whether the offboard arty was US or Ukrainian.  Perhaps the US FO cannot use Ukrainian precision munitions with a US drone.  If it is US arty, then it's strange.  FWIW this is the "Spartan Resolve" campaign.

Edited by Erwin

5 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

I've just experienced a precision artillery strike penetrate and catastrophically kill one of my T-90As.

Tl;dr: Artillery shells hitting ERA blocks don't count as hitting the tank so you can have direct hits not causing direct hit type damage.

So there are two bugs that create most of the armor - artillery problems that people bring up.

1. Artillery will not cause damage without a direct hit1

2. Artillery hitting ERA does not count as a direct hit in the game's logic2

Artillery doesn't always kill armor with direct hits but a direct hit will at minimum cause some pretty nasty systems damage, and as you've stated can kill tanks. Two direct hits (if I am reading his comment correctly) should pretty reliably mess up a tank. Either killing it outright or causing some pretty significant systems damage depending on the caliber of the shells being fired. However, if one or both of those shells hit the ERA block the tank would be far less damaged than it realistically should be besides driving slower.

The prevalence of ERA on certain vehicles in Black Sea likely explains why you occasionally here of weird results where a Bradley or some tank takes multiple direct hits and is still fighting capable. The ERA downgrade a direct hit to a near miss and near misses don't do damage to certain vehicle types. There is some cut off in the games logic where near misses can cause kills but I've not narrowed down where that is at.

1 Nearby hits will only cause damage to the tracks so you can get an immobilization with enough fire or large enough shell but you will never degrade/destroy any other system regardless of the number of near misses that occur. Outright kills by blast can happen to IFVs but I've not seen it occur to a tank. Tanks seem to require direct hits for a outright kill to occur.

2 If an artillery shell directly hits an ERA block the game treats it as if its a near miss strike and not a direct hit. So you could have a direct hit literally next to the gun and the only system that would be damaged would be tracks.

9 hours ago, Pelican Pal said:

Tl;dr: Artillery shells hitting ERA blocks don't count as hitting the tank so you can have direct hits not causing direct hit type damage.

So there are two bugs that create most of the armor - artillery problems that people bring up.

1. Artillery will not cause damage without a direct hit1

2. Artillery hitting ERA does not count as a direct hit in the game's logic2

Artillery doesn't always kill armor with direct hits but a direct hit will at minimum cause some pretty nasty systems damage, and as you've stated can kill tanks. Two direct hits (if I am reading his comment correctly) should pretty reliably mess up a tank. Either killing it outright or causing some pretty significant systems damage depending on the caliber of the shells being fired. However, if one or both of those shells hit the ERA block the tank would be far less damaged than it realistically should be besides driving slower.

The prevalence of ERA on certain vehicles in Black Sea likely explains why you occasionally here of weird results where a Bradley or some tank takes multiple direct hits and is still fighting capable. The ERA downgrade a direct hit to a near miss and near misses don't do damage to certain vehicle types. There is some cut off in the games logic where near misses can cause kills but I've not narrowed down where that is at.

1 Nearby hits will only cause damage to the tracks so you can get an immobilization with enough fire or large enough shell but you will never degrade/destroy any other system regardless of the number of near misses that occur. Outright kills by blast can happen to IFVs but I've not seen it occur to a tank. Tanks seem to require direct hits for a outright kill to occur.

2 If an artillery shell directly hits an ERA block the game treats it as if its a near miss strike and not a direct hit. So you could have a direct hit literally next to the gun and the only system that would be damaged would be tracks.

Preach brother.