Does Russia have any counters against the Javelin?

So in Combat Mission Black Sea the Javelin is able to reliably destroy all Russian tanks, even those equipped with APS, as the Arena APS cannot engage top-down attacks.

But have the Russians developed any counters to the Javelin by now? For instance, can the Afghanit APS on the new Armata tanks defeat it? If so then the Ukrainians may have no way to stop those tanks if they do make an appearance.

That rooftop cage armour may but probably wont help against Javelins. The rooftop screen may help against the UK NLAWs, 'cos their overflight weapons, but I guess we need more information about performance in the field.

Other options come to mind:  shooting at every bush within 2kms, or artillery along tree lines while your tanks advance, or ensuring your thermal sights have good observation of the terrain in front while other vehciles with thermals scan their front. 1 Javelin per squad means you only need to take out 3-4 shooters per platoon, so hey easy, just avoid the Bradleys and Abrams while your doing that! 😉

Edited by THH149

11 hours ago, pintere said:

as the Arena APS cannot engage top-down attacks

It can if the javelin comes in at the right angle. Having the tank on a higher elevation than the javelin team helps, as does inclines.

11 hours ago, Gary R Lukas said:

I saw a few Russian vehicles that have a metal screen around the tops of the turrets and on their engine decks, looks like the same screens as what the Stryker Vehicles have.

So, what I've read about what's being derided as the "cope cage" is that it isn't actually slat armour, it's instead designed to shift the thermal signature away from the tank by using a pyrotechnical device which hangs near the engine exhaust. Apparently they call them "sun hats". You can read/see more here: https://andrei-bt.livejournal.com/1912504.html

Edited by Grey_Fox

On 3/1/2022 at 12:56 AM, pintere said:

... For instance, can the Afghanit APS on the new Armata tanks defeat it? If so then the Ukrainians may have no way to stop those tanks if they do make an appearance.

Doubtful there's more than a few Armata in anything like war-readiness ( I'd say any, but that's just because I've heard nothing about them since they were first announced ).

Besides, it seems like they would be risking just giving an Armata to the Ukrainians.