Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

20 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

It is very confusing that people cannot see through all this. I have read and heard people who oppose Harris claiming that she is going to do all sorts of terrible things (disregard the Constitution etc). She is going to take away freedoms and rule over the US like a leftist dictator.

And then in the next breath, claim she has failed at the border where she apparently has the powers of a complete autocrat. Every failure on the border is her fault because she wields supreme powers and thus has ultimate responsibility.

So which is it? Should we oppose her because she will use supreme powers, or because she is not using them? It is these self licking ice cream arguments that are tearing US politics apart. It goes the other way too. Trump is going to get pretty much nothing done…just like last time. He will make a lot of noise…issue some edicts (which will be turned around by the next guy), and cause enormous disruption (just like last time.)

It's the Schrödinger's opposition - both authoritarian, ignoring the Constitution (taking the guns or whatever) and ineffective and unable to do something at the same time.

Just like we had our Schrödinger's Ukrainian refugees - both taking our jobs and getting all the support for the unemployed at the same time. I find it amusing that the people who claim that everything now is like in the novel 1984 are those, who are behaving (or want to behave) like the government (well, the Party) in said novel.

21 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

It is very confusing that people cannot see through all this. I have read and heard people who oppose Harris claiming that she is going to do all sorts of terrible things (disregard the Constitution etc). She is going to take away freedoms and rule over the US like a leftist dictator.

This has been the claim by right wingers of every Democrat President in my lifetime.  I suspect it goes back a bit further than that :)  And of course the left wingers say the same thing about Republican Presidents.

Steve

Vet 0369 makes another imbecilic post and off we go down the rabbit hole. Me included.  I should be ashamed of me for even reading whatever nonsense he's posting this time.  

Meanwhile, there are leaders who have very much supported UKR in its fight.  Not as much as fast as I wanted, but still very heaping amounts of aid that continue to this day and are keeping UKR going in a fight for survival as a free nation.

And then there's those that praise Putin.  

17 minutes ago, Vlad said:

It's the Schrödinger's opposition - both authoritarian, ignoring the Constitution (taking the guns or whatever) and ineffective and unable to do something at the same time.

Just like we had our Schrödinger's Ukrainian refugees - both taking our jobs and getting all the support for the unemployed at the same time. I find it amusing that the people who claim that everything now is like in the novel 1984 are those, who are behaving (or want to behave) like the government (well, the Party) in said novel.

Yes, and we have that here as well.  "illegal immigrants are taking all of our jobs, but I can't find anybody to build my house, fix my car, drive my company's trucks, take care of my elderly parents, drive my kids to school in buses, etc. etc." 

Trying to steer this back to Russia...

This is why Putin's inhumane use of Syrian and African refugees was so effective.  He took eons old irrational fears of "being replaced by [insert relevant minority]" and exploited it exceptionally well.  While Putin, for sure, didn't create every crisis that drove people to try and enter the EU illegally, he did quite a bit to facilitate it.  The moves on the Belarus/Polish border were the most blatant examples of this ploy.  In the US, Russia has almost nothing to do with the Southern Border AFAIK, but for sure he's been the benefactor of it because it gives his American buddies a means of scaring people into voting against their own interests (e.g. a sensible border policy).

Russia doesn't care if the people in the West get their own panties in a twist or if he can give them a wedgie.  Either is fine with him because in either case it serves his overall purpose of weakening the West by encouraging people to act on their irrational and counter productive impulses.  And since people are generally irrational and ill informed, it's sadly not all that hard to do.

As with the 2016 election, Brexit, AfD, National Front, etc, we will never know how much of Russia's efforts led to the results it wanted.  But I think it's pretty clear that it was more than zero.  And given how tight the political margins are, nudging something by 0.25% might be enough.

Steve

https://www.reddit.com/r/DroneCombat/comments/1fyo41n/ua_74th_recon_brigades_shadow_drone_team_used_fpv/

UA 74th Recon Brigade's "Shadow" drone team used FPV strike drones to target Russian artillery positions, hitting an artillery piece, bunker, and BTR (armored vehicle). Published October 7, 2024

FPV/ Kamikaze/ Loitering

Every single drone essentially is dealing with jamming on final approach. The Ukrainians seem to have learned to deal.

10 hours ago, Billy Ringo said:

Rumor that Girkin is dead.  Saw the other day that his health was not good, but know little about this source, and the picture seems a bit odd to use for the announcement.

I guess they didnt let him get that needed heart surgery. Shame.