Apple Silicon Support

hm_stanley

I tried searching on this topic, but I only found those who virtualized windows on Apple Silicon and got it working.  Has anyone got it working (Red Thunder/Fire&Rubble) under native Apple Silicon using (I assume here) Rosetta2?  Does it run well or is it inconsistent?  Running a Macbook Pro M1 Max, which is the latest machine from Apple.

4 hours ago, hm_stanley said:

I tried searching on this topic, but I only found those who virtualized windows on Apple Silicon and got it working.  Has anyone got it working (Red Thunder/Fire&Rubble) under native Apple Silicon using (I assume here) Rosetta2?  Does it run well or is it inconsistent?  Running a Macbook Pro M1 Max, which is the latest machine from Apple.

There are a couple of very recent threads that have mentioned running various games on the M1 natively. Looks like it's not too bad, just a few issues with graphics artefacts which have dogged Macs for sometime on and off. Check out these two threads:

18 hours ago, hm_stanley said:

With the exception of the shadows graphics artefact linked above, it runs great for me on my base model M1 Pro 14". Definitely better than my previous 2016 MBP.

On 12/10/2021 at 5:14 PM, hm_stanley said:

I'm running all 7 CM2 games on my MacBookPro M1Max and they work really well. Thus far I've found only 3 issues:

1. Sometimes the game takes a bit of time to start, with the icon bouncing in the dock for 10 -15 seconds. 

2. The graphical anomalies mentioned above caused by enabled Shaders. I play with Shaders on and don't see it happen often so it's not impacting my enjoyment.

3. The turn loading screen is blank - so when one loads a turn instead of getting the graphical representation of how many % the turn is loaded, it is blank. This apparently started with Big Sur but I didn't install Big Sur on my previous MacBookPro so I am going by what other beta testers have told me. Again, this is not really an issue. The computer is so fast that I don't sit and wonder if something is stalled due to long loading times, the loading times even for huge maps and battles is quite reasonable.

21 hours ago, G. Smiley said:

With the exception of the shadows graphics artefact linked above, it runs great for me on my base model M1 Pro 14". Definitely better than my previous 2016 MBP.

On non-CM related matters, do you have the spinning beachball show up occasionally at odd moments? I've had finder, or messages, or other apps seem to freeze for 10-30 seconds now and then. I had this on the older computer as well but I thought that the newest one, with the newest OS would not. 

6 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

On non-CM related matters, do you have the spinning beachball show up occasionally at odd moments? I've had finder, or messages, or other apps seem to freeze for 10-30 seconds now and then. I had this on the older computer as well but I thought that the newest one, with the newest OS would not. 

No, not that I can think of. I haven't had any real issues at all. Touch ID stopped working on my new Magic Keyboard after a day or two but that should not be an Apple Silicon problem.

I've found the following in CMRT (John in Tech Support is helping me through this, very nice man).

• The loading from selecting a battle to the actual briefing is a black screen with a stuck mouse cursor... you wait, and eventually see the battle briefing.. this is different from my Intel experience on a Mac, where you would see a picture of a tank and a status bar loading, this isn't working for me, tho I do get to the briefing eventually and this really isn't a problem per say, just getting used to it.
  • My licenses are all messed up, not sure exactly what is happening, but my Fire and Rubble license is reflected at "total destruction" and I've cleaned and installed it now three times.  john is helping me here, but I'm waiting on an un-license script to start all over and John has been a saint here.. that said, the game runs still and it appears everything is there,  but we are working to make it appear as it should
  • no more status bar between turns as someone said above.
  • Performance is really good actually, far better than what I remember on Intel.  The speed of movement and turns is great no issues really.  I have everything pretty much turned on high and I could never do that before on my Mac Intel laptop. So this is really nice.

Overall, I wish it was Apple Silicon native and maybe one day we will get there, but overall Rosetta2 works great and I have no complaints.

4 minutes ago, hm_stanley said:
  • My licenses are all messed up, not sure exactly what is happening, but my Fire and Rubble license is reflected at "total destruction"

That is normal and not a problem. It is just a case of not having adjusted the module name from its initial, temporary name.

So, what I'm seeing is totally normal and I won't see Fire and Rubble?  I've done a completely clean install with license removal (script from John) and reinstalled and still the same "Total Destruction" as the name for the mod.  If this is totally normal and not something I need to worry about, then cool.  I thought somehow the game was compromised and I needed to have the correct module names.

All that said, anyone have any idea on why I don't see the loading screen from when you select a battle until you get to the briefing dialogue (screen).  I don't see a picture of a Stug with a blue status bar slowly moving across (I did see it flash once at the end of the sequence and the briefing screen came up).  That said, I can't see to figure out why it's not showing.. but, c'est la vie, the game still loads and runs.. rather well. I'm assuming these little issues are related to Apple Silicon or Monterey OS.

3 hours ago, Redwolf said:

That is normal and not a problem. It is just a case of not having adjusted the module name from its initial, temporary name.

licenses.jpg

Edited by hm_stanley

30 minutes ago, hm_stanley said:

All that said, anyone have any idea on why I don't see the loading screen from when you select a battle until you get to the briefing dialogue (screen).  I don't see a picture of a Stug with a blue status bar slowly moving across (I did see it flash once at the end of the sequence and the briefing screen came up).  That said, I can't see to figure out why it's not showing.. but, c'est la vie, the game still loads and runs.. rather well. I'm assuming these little issues are related to Apple Silicon or Monterey OS.

This started with Big Sur. Before Big Sur, it worked fine. Updated to Big Sur, it hasn't worked since. I have a ticket in about it, along with the graphics wonkiness of the Activate screen (flashes and bounces). They may or may not be related. 

So it's not an M1 or Monterey specific issue. It's something Apple did along with Big Sur - wish I knew what.

Dave

8 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

This started with Big Sur. Before Big Sur, it worked fine. Updated to Big Sur, it hasn't worked since. I have a ticket in about it, along with the graphics wonkiness of the Activate screen (flashes and bounces). They may or may not be related. 

So it's not an M1 or Monterey specific issue. It's something Apple did along with Big Sur - wish I knew what.

Dave

Thanks everyone.. glad i'm not alone here and the game works really nicely tho in game mode.

36 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

Dave

To clarify, you have an Intel mac?

12 hours ago, Redwolf said:

Yeah, everything is fine.

I don't know whether M1 or Monterey causes the lack of a loading dialog. I might update my Intel Mac to Monterey at some point, but so far it looks like garbage.

I’m told this started with Big Sur. It’s definitely an OS thing, and not a question of game version.