Steam vs native

• 1 month later...

I decided that I don't like having my CMx2 games in Steam:

- no MacOS version

- single login across devices. I do PBEM moves on my laptop and general gaming on my desktop. If I open a Steam game on the laptop (e.g. to answer PBEM) and I have the desktop's Steam open with -say- DCS, then the other Steam session will be logged out. With non-Steam CMx2 I can just freely open either one at any time

- even if a MacOS version was there - my Mac is a semi-secure machine where I tolerate/trust BFC games, but I wouldn't want to have the Steam client on there

The patching for BFC isn't that bad anymore since I could always download a complete installer from my BFC account. Wastes some download bandwidth, but for me that's OK.

I was going to buy CMSF2 on Steam then as I watched YT videos about the game I discovered Battlefront's website, the demos and that the games were available for MacOS.

Naturally, I then went ahead and bought CMBN because of YT.

CMSF2 is next on the list later this week and I'll be buying it from Battlefront.  Not because it's cheaper but because there's a Mac version.

I can't believe I've missed out on CM all these years.  Sometimes Steam just gets you pigeon holed due to its convenience.

1 minute ago, Redwolf said:

Is there any known reason why the Mac version is not on Steam?

Sooner or later this is going to hurt when somebody gets stuck with a Mac and a Steam version by accident after learning CM is available for Mac.

Not sure.  It's a good question though.  I guess the only positive would be Steam allows refunds if anyone did purchase by accident.

I does seem a bit odd that the Mac version is not available on Steam when there is a native Mac version.

When I purchased the Mac version (from BF) I was surprised I was given the option to download both versions, but thankful nonetheless.  My original plan was CMSF2 on Steam and I'd have been happy.  I boot Windows from Bootcamp for certain games on my Macbook that are not available for Mac on Steam.

22 hours ago, Cpt_Winters said:

When I purchased the Mac version (from BF) I was surprised I was given the option to download both versions

Yep, now when you purchase you get a key that works on either OS so you can choose where you want to pay the game. There was a time when they were separate keys but not any more.

• 3 weeks later...