Cold War C2 Info Sharing

1 hour ago, dbsapp said:

The main thing I learnt is to keep the leaders of different formations close to each other.

E.g.if you have 2 batallions HQ present, place them in close proximity, so the batallons can share info between them.

The same goes for reconnaissance, mortars hq, observers etc. 

Actually, some countries do like to keep them close together (the Soviets like colocating their battery commander with their company commander ... etc). Quicker response vs survivability. Your choice.

1 hour ago, arkhangelsk2021 said:

Actually, some countries do like to keep them close together (the Soviets like colocating their battery commander with their company commander ... etc). Quicker response vs survivability. Your choice.

I don't have a clue how they actually do it, but I doubt that in the age of radio and nuclear weapons the best way to share info between heads of military units is to group them together on 50 square meters and to let them all be killed in one strike.

Edited by dbsapp

I performed one more test over the last couple of days and if you leave the Batallion HQ off map but include the Company HQs the info is not shared via the net between companies, so if you want info to flow you need all the relevant HQs on map, unless you're happy having runners or positioning guys with radios near each other's companies.

MMM

Edited by Monty's Mighty Moustache

28 minutes ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

I performed one more test over the last couple of days and if you leave the Batallion HQ off map but include the Company HQs the info is not shared via the net between companies, so if you want info to flow you need all the relevant HQs on map, unless you're happy having runners or positioning guys with radios near each other's companies.

MMM

I've found this is where your 2IC/command teams come in handy. If battalion HQ is off-grid then using these HQ elements (as you mention) as radio links/liaison officers helps maintain the net and info share. Also works if you have a cross attached unit that is not part of the battalion radio net.

12 hours ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

I performed one more test over the last couple of days and if you leave the Batallion HQ off map but include the Company HQs the info is not shared via the net between companies,

That's a bug. Reported.

On 6/24/2021 at 1:00 AM, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

It works on the company net if they are off map but not at battalion level. It’s quite misleading as the lights are all green and the platoon HQs all have the radio icon in their audio comms box which makes me think everything would be shared.

If off map (deleted) HQs are providing C2 this may be a bug.  HQs are not like artillery that can work from off map (in the game).  If HQs are deleted they have not, in the past, been in the C2 loop.  Even HQs that are set to show up as reinforcements don't provide C2 until they appear on map. 

My understanding is:  The off map (deleted) Company HQs should not be in C2 and should not show the green C2 dots.   The off map (deleted) Battalion HQs should not be in C2 and should not show the green C2 dots. 

I just tested this in other titles and deleted HQs don't provide C2.  However I think deleted Battalion HQ have always showed the green C2 dot in all titles even though they do not provide off map C2.  

In CMCW I have been trying to get deleted company HQs to provide C2 but have not been able to replicate that.  However the green C2 dot does appear next to the company in the UI.  IMO the deleted company should not provide C2 and the C2 dot should be red. 

On 6/25/2021 at 3:17 AM, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

I believe this is correct.  This is why we use liaisons and runners in some scenarios.  This is one of the cool / interesting things about Combat Missions.  It has been this way in all titles for as long as I can remember.  It is confusing that the deleted Battalion HQ displays a green C2 dot.  

Can information be shared between two different HQs that do not have a common higher HQ?  (Higher HQ deleted or not yet arrived as a reinforcement)

Vertically: No (With no common higher HQ there is no bridge for the information to pass over) 

Horizontally: Yes with liaisons, runners or if the HQs are within about 32 meters of each other. 

If a scenario designer wanted to have a platoon or company "cut off" from both physical and radio contact he has this choice.  If deleted HQs always provided C2 this "cut off" choice would be eliminated.   

18 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

That's a bug. Reported.

I read the Mantis report.  PM sent. 

Another odd thing is that HQs in CMSF break radio C2 while moving on foot with 2008 technology.  HQs in CMCW do not break radio C2 while moving on foot with 1979-1982 technology.  Of course, in all WW2 titles HQs break radio C2 while moving on foot.