Berlin CMRT Map

8 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

GIMP ain´t that bad. And it´s free, just like Blender. Doubt one could "master" PS or 3D Studio Max in few days as well. Really depends on what you want achieving and in my case things are rather limited and focused on certain stuff only. Don´t need ~70-80% of all the apps capabilities anyway.

Yes, being unfair to the free stuff. It's all down to what one is trained on. Adobe is also renowned for obfuscating the simple as well. And where would we be without Blender?

Blender runs straight out of the box. And you can have installed and run different versions concurrently without the Win10 hassles. Python is needed for some of Sbobovyc´s external tools and IIRC Blender im-/exporter uses Blender´s internal one sort of. Yet have to install this Anaconda thing on my puter, likely this weekend. We´ll see. 😎

Yeah, I have four Blenders and two pythons installed all coexist happily. The reason I Thought we needed to install Python was for Sbobovyc's import addon. For sure his earlier mdr cracking stuff used Python, but I never used those. But it's all clouded in the past now. So long as Blender does what I want it to I'm happy.

To be honest I feel I´d just scratched all its capabilities at the surface. But when I get things to work, it all makes sense thus far. Don´t even take reference to guides and help files while learning. Maybe my long past apprenticeship as technical drawer and bits of experience with (old) 3DS Max helps here as well. But I intend learning Blender in more organised ways and getting a broader base. Ya know it kills inspirations and ideas if you can´t put them to practice quickly. 🤪

I do think having the right aptitude really helps. And it does get easier once some of the odd terminology and methodology starts to make sense. I think it's very easy to get over enthusiastic at the start with this stuff, willing everything to just work without any understanding of what's happening. I know for my part I just expected things that work in Blender to subsequently work in game, but, as we've all experienced, that's not the case. We then have to try to understand why, as well as understand that the tools we have are incomplete, and therefore limited.

But Blender also reassigns stuff silently at times. So always double check for this stuff before exporting to MDR. Another lesson learned....

It can be sneaky that way. It also has some sort of memory regarding textures, sometimes linking them even though they are not necessarily in the same directory as a model, nor even linked to the model originally. Useful occasionally, other times not. I guess one day it would be worth collating all this learnt knowledge into a guide ... or BF could help us and go official on all this ...

Edited by Lucky_Strike

39 minutes ago, NPye said:

I retexturized the Tram... big improvement and now looks smashed up which suits the Berlin Mod perfectly...

RjQDFQ.png

RjQc2x.png

RjQFok.png

RjQfBe.png

That's great N!

Now you have the Blender file you can try new things with this one. I did wonder about options like an open topped one, filled with rubble as part of a barricade, not sure what the interior of the tram would do, it might need work so that it's texturised. Also thought about having one flipped on its side, but the underside is not that good. You should be able to make extra versions, just remember to have unique textures to get them predictably appearing in game.

2 hours ago, NPye said:

Mad a poster board from the Aquilas collection called Billboard. Great to be able to use some of these great models.

RjVJyD.png

Nice idea! 😎 1945 Berlin saws lots of "Berlin bleibt deutsch" (Berlin stays german) slogans painted on walls. Maybe something to add to your scenes as well? Some here and there, not too many.

1950785_900.jpg

1 hour ago, NPye said:

I've updated the trains and engine, giving them better textures to fit the mod better:

These are really looking the part now. Nice job, we like a lot!

1 hour ago, NPye said:

New Box Car as the model was intended... BTW I can't texturise the roofs, they just turn the top into a stretched mess...shame but no biggy.

I must admit I never really looked too closely at the textures in the UV editor. I could see a bit of stretching, but left well enough alone as I know this can be quite difficult to resolve. I may take a look to see how it's been mapped but doubt it'll be an easy fix. As you say no biggy.

On 11/5/2022 at 7:26 PM, RockinHarry said:

Nice idea! 😎 1945 Berlin saws lots of "Berlin bleibt deutsch" (Berlin stays german) slogans painted on walls. Maybe something to add to your scenes as well? Some here and there, not too many.

There is a building with the old classic...'Ein Reich. Ein Volk, Ein Führer..... but I'll get this in somewhere as well...Cheers bud 

24 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

These are really looking the part now. Nice job, we like a lot!

1 hour ago, NPye said:

Cheers bud.

25 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I must admit I never really looked too closely at the textures in the UV editor. I could see a bit of stretching, but left well enough alone as I know this can be quite difficult to resolve. I may take a look to see how it's been mapped but doubt it'll be an easy fix. As you say no biggy.

Yeh don't waste anytime as I say no biggy. Cheers for you help on these bud. And I fookin LLLLLOOOOVVVVVEEEEE  the Pzr IV...lol

13 hours ago, NPye said:

I've updated the trains and engine, giving them better textures to fit the mod better:

R024GH.png

R02pk1.png

R023vx.png

R08HC3.png

R0824M.png

New Box Car as the model was intended... BTW I can't texturise the roofs, they just turn the top into a stretched mess...shame but no biggy.

R025lD.png

I would like to see the face of your next complete mod, hope that you include all what you saw us here !!

never be tired to see yours screenshots !

JM

1 hour ago, JM Stuff said:

I would like to see the face of your next complete mod, hope that you include all what you saw us here !!

never be tired to see yours screenshots !

JM

Cheers bud, yep most are already in. Takes time to get everything correct. Cheers

4 hours ago, NPye said:

Now this looks really bombed out??? Still a bit more junk bricks to ad but not bad....

Nice work. These really do look derelict. Are there any scattered brick flavor objects. I know we have the piles of brick and rubble but I can't recall a more scattered object, a few dozen bricks scattered across a tile?

23 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Nice work. These really do look derelict. Are there any scattered brick flavor objects. I know we have the piles of brick and rubble but I can't recall a more scattered object, a few dozen bricks scattered across a tile?

Ya FO Stone 7 and 8 aren't too bad, about 4 over a tile I will add these later... Cheers

On 11/7/2022 at 12:59 AM, NPye said:

R024GH.png

R02pk1.png

R023vx.png

R08HC3.png

R0824M.png

R025lD.png

OK So this post-war but what the hell? Play LOUD!

17 hours ago, NPye said:

Ya FO Stone 7 and 8 aren't too bad, about 4 over a tile I will add these later... Cheers

ATM I´m toying with the idea to bits of scale some debris flavors up a bit. So to make larger heaps and add more variety to a map like this (Berlin/Stalingrad). Also plan on looking at damaged wall meshes and their UAV maps. The current (modular buildings) ones are rather simple and generic so their looks can likely be improved considerably. Maybe easier said than done ATM, but I´ll try. For indi buildings I´d some success already, although META yet likely got to be tweaked for them to "work" properly in game (WYSIWYG).

Yayk1cv.jpg

21 hours ago, NPye said:

Will have to take a peek at them. Definitely need something a bit more scattered and less neat than the stock ones. Since bricks are a pretty simple shape - each brick can be made of 12 triangle texels on six faces - they won't add much to the graphics load. I'm thinking of a roughly tile sized scattering as a flavor object, few dozen bricks and perhaps a few odd shaped bits of other masonry. Couple of different textures for variety could give a nice scattered debris effect around the larger piled up rubble, kinda soften the edges as it were. Probably use a particle system to speed up the making in Blender. 

3 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Also plan on looking at damaged wall meshes and their UAV maps. The current (modular buildings) ones are rather simple and generic so their looks can likely be improved considerably. Maybe easier said than done ATM, but I´ll try. For indi buildings I´d some success already, although META yet likely got to be tweaked for them to "work" properly in game (WYSIWYG).

Yes there's scope to improve these for sure. Wonder if there's a way to add more model versions for these to get some variety.

8 hours ago, NPye said:

I've made a few new buildings, some completely destroyed and some slight damage, I like to have a good contrast on my maps. Anyway have a look and please let me know what you think? Cheers

Gorgeous! 🤩 V2 looks very much improved compared to previous version which is/was great already. 😎 For the icing on the cake I´d yet add some dirt layers on the paved roads and maybe on some other ground textures as well. Pity that normal maps for ground textures aren´t supported. Bits of applying "exposure" on various ground textures might help accommodating a bit. When is V2 ready?

9 hours ago, NPye said:

I've made a few new buildings, some completely destroyed and some slight damage, I like to have a good contrast on my maps. Anyway have a look and please let me know what you think? Cheers

🤩 Wow! Yeah baby! Great looking buildings. Huuuggge improvement over v1.

I can almost hear the noise that the JT would have made trundling around the streets. Can you imagine the mess it would have made just turning a corner on paved roads!

Seeing your 251 reminds me that there's a lighting bug on the wheels of those I wanted to look at, just never got round to it. Won't affect your work though which looks awesome!

On 11/8/2022 at 3:32 AM, Lucky_Strike said:

Not Really nice ones, my wishlist includes large piles of rubble, with planks of wood and metal in them and roof tiles .... also a smaller scale like a few scaled bricks that would be easy to spread across roads etc....?????