Is there a definitive video tutorial on how to create scenarios?

6 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

google on youtube  a guy named proambulator, he did videos on scenario creation. I hope it meets your needs. Not all in 1 video though...

You beat me to it. He produced some excellent CM videos in the all too short time that he was making them. 

Have a look here. This should give you a list of "proambulator's" tutorials on how to design in Combat Mission. That should help quite a lot, but also search in this forum for my threads. I've asked just about every question you could think of and folks here have been absolutely fantastic at helping. Often in those threads are links to other posts and threads that will give you the full deal on a whole lot of things. Also, the game engine manual is quite helpful at the very basic stuff. Lastly, there is a PDF file included with the game files under Documentation called "The Sheriff of Oosterbeeke" (hope I spelled that right), which is all about how one of the big scenarios in Market Garden was made. It's extremely helpful. After that, anything you don't get or understand, post back here and if I see it, I'll definitely jump in and help in any way I can. As I've found out, the learning curve is steep initially, but once you "get it", you'll find it's pretty easy to understand. Believe me, it's well worth the effort. Being able to program the AI and do your own scenarios is hugely rewarding (I've played maybe 2 or 3 scenarios since I started learning this - the rest of the time I've been designing and testing <LOL>). Don't be shy about sharing them either, once you get them up and running. The people here, especially the ones that helped me, deserve to reap some rewards for their patience ;) . Oh, and one last source is open up some scenarios (tiny is better at first) and have a look and see what others have done. I usually played the scenario first though when I did that, so I didn't spoil it for myself later.

Good luck and maybe the best thing you can do once you figure out the very basics, is just do it. Experience will teach you faster than trying to memorize a book.

Here are a couple more links to check out:

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/120527-no-plan-survives-first-contact-with-the-enemy-planning-tutorial/?tab=comments#comment-1625887&ct=1619695914

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/137031-ai-plans-and-a-more-responsive-ai/?ct=1620910631

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/109190-the-sheriff-of-oosterbeek-–-a-scenario-design-daraar/?ct=1619696257

4 hours ago, Combatintman said:

YES!! Doh, I have that open on my iPad and still I forgot to include that. It's outstanding and a must read!

One really, really important note that took a while to wrap my head around in doing scenarios is to remember when it comes to setting the timing, the timing is for the END of the order (except for the SETUP "order"). So if you want to move from A to B to C, with A being the Setup "order" (in quotes because it's not really an order), you set the time for the move from B to C at "Exit After:  10:00  /  Exit Before 12:00  (for example). That means for moving FROM B to C, you will start moving no sooner than the 10:00 mark and no later than the 12:00 mark. The timing is for the NEXT move, not the current one. That may not mean a lot to you just now, but write it down somewhere handy and then when you get to that point, if things aren't making sense timing wise, this should help.