installation folder

17 hours ago, joes 44 said:

is there a way to run the installation to a particular folder in another drive besides the C drive?

windows 10

Yes and no. IIRC, the installation is always in C, but you can copy most of the game to any other drive. I would have to check at home how exactly that looks and works. Or, ask @BFCElvis he should be able to give a quick answer.

32 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Yes and no. IIRC, the installation is always in C, but you can copy most of the game to any other drive. I would have to check at home how exactly that looks and works. Or, ask @BFCElvis he should be able to give a quick answer.

Battle for Normandy is on my D-Drive because I run out of space. It works simply fine. They ask where to install and nominate D-drive. 

My BN (main folder as well as Game Files and User Data) is all on my D drive so yes. 

However for RT, FB and FI only the main folders are on my D drive, while the Game Files and User Data are on C in the 'Users' folder, so I think there was a change in where you could install at some point?  Shame as my C drive is rapidly filling up with scenarios, campaigns, mods, save games etc. for these other titles.  If someone says it can be done otherwise I'll give it a try...

Edited by Vacilllator

3 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

My BN (main folder as well as Game Files and User Data) is all on my D drive so yes. 

However for RT, FB and FI only the main folders are on my D drive, while the Game Files and User Data are on C in the 'Users' folder, so I think there was a change in where you could install at some point?  Shame as my C drive is rapidly filling up with scenarios, campaigns, mods, save games etc. for these other titles.  If someone says it can be done otherwise I'll give it a try...

Yep, I don’t remember the full story, but for some reason CMBN is different in this aspect, too. Well, being the first of the lot, that should probably not be a surprise.

3 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

The Game Files folders and their contents must be on the C drive in the Documents folder. That is where the game "looks" for the things in those folders. Otherwise you can install the main directory anywhere you want.

I should mention that I know of a couple of people who successfully put the Game Files folders somewhere other than the Documents folder. I don't remember how they did it but I wouldn't recommend anyone try it anyway. 🙂

4 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

The Game Files folders and their contents must be on the C drive in the Documents folder.

Interesting, as mentioned my BN (and not the others) is all on the D-drive.  Not sure I can tell any difference - it might be a bit slower to load first time but I have many more mods etc. in BN so I thought that might be the reason for slowness.

Is BN different in this respect or are StieliAlpha and I imagining that?

Vacillator, BN had some sort of problem with Windows at the time, so it is structured a bit different on your computer. I don’t know how your own computer is set up, but I used to keep all my extra stuff, like mods and new scenarios, etc., and another drive. Eventually I bought an external hard drive, but a thumb drive would work too. I keep a complete back up and all mods, maps, scenarios and campaigns, and every so often copies of saved games (completely removing old turns from long games) on the external drive. I only put the mods I’m interested in now in the data/mod folder. 

46 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Yes that sounds about right, only BN is that way on my PC, the rest have Game files in C:\Users and the main folder (with the exe etc.) is on D.

I probably just need to be more disciplined with what I keep, like your good self 😉.

CNBM is different than the others. CMBN is "self contained". The Game Files folders are in the main directory by default. 

On 2/22/2021 at 10:57 AM, BFCElvis said:

I should mention that I know of a couple of people who successfully put the Game Files folders somewhere other than the Documents folder. I don't remember how they did it but I wouldn't recommend anyone try it anyway. 🙂

The game looks for the Game Files folder in the OS's designated documents directory for the current user. If you use the OS to move that to another drive then the game will happily look for it there.

I have a small SSD with my OS and various programs installed but it is really small so when I setup my machine I moved my documents folder using the Windows controls to my much larger platter drive. My CM games (other than CMBN) get their files from my D drive because that's where my documents folder is pointing to.

Here is an MS article on how do it but if you search you can find many other descriptions and discussions: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/configuration-of-the-my-documents-folder-dfd9a90d-8f80-18d6-e7cc-f1566fc3b10b