Line of sight from waypoint

I have a very simple question here. How do I check the line of sight from a point other than a unit's current location?

I thought I did that by marking a waypoint and then hitting L for LOS, but that doesn't work, neither does T for targeting. I was somehow sure I had done this once, but I haven't played CM:BO in a while and I'm not 100% sure this was even a feature. Can anybody tell me if this ever worked and if so how, or am I missremembering things?

Thank you

3 hours ago, LtJoker said:

I have a very simple question here. How do I check the line of sight from a point other than a unit's current location?

I thought I did that by marking a waypoint and then hitting L for LOS, but that doesn't work, neither does T for targeting. I was somehow sure I had done this once, but I haven't played CM:BO in a while and I'm not 100% sure this was even a feature. Can anybody tell me if this ever worked and if so how, or am I missremembering things?

Thank you

I don't think that was ever a possibility. IIRC some recommended using the Rotate tool over the terrain and it would show you where a LOS could be blocked based on the contour of the line? Maybe that doesn't make sense...

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 12:16 AM, LtJoker said:

Thank you

The AI does relative spotting which is different of what you do. The LOS gives you an idea that's all. The computer works out what your unit sees not what we see on the screen. Example you see that the German Tiger gives you a golden opportunity for your Firefly. But here you get a 'No LOS'. What happened the driver who looks right ahead saw the German tank but at the critical moment your commander spotted a German with a Panzerschreck 300 meters away. There are 4 crew in a Firefly if only one sees the tank you get a contact Icon. 

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

The AI does relative spotting which is different of what you do. The LOS gives you an idea that's all. The computer works out what your unit sees not what we see on the screen. Example you see that the German Tiger gives you a golden opportunity for your Firefly. But here you get a 'No LOS'. What happened the driver who looks right ahead saw the German tank but at the critical moment your commander spotted a German with a Panzerschreck 300 meters away. There are 4 crew in a Firefly if only one sees the tank you get a contact Icon. 

...The LOS gives you an idea that's all. The computer works out what your unit sees not what we see on the screen.... But here you get a 'No LOS'...

>this was really my thought,( to another thread) < thank you to make it correct...

short question about spotting. following situation: cmbn / sherman stands with front at a bocage hedge, directly beside him is a friendly hq team and a fo team, both teams also directly at the hedge and with their front in the same direction as the tank. the tank commander looks out of the turret.

in about 500 meters straight direction / line of sight of my units / behind the hedge is a tank 4. hq and fo spot this, the tank commander from the sherman does not. not even after several rounds.

i think i read somewhere that the information flow between tank and infantry works when the commander is looking out of the turret. apparently this was not the case here. do you have any ideas? of course, i tried it at other, neighboring waypoints along the hedge. without success.

43 minutes ago, sPA505 said:

short question about spotting. following situation: cmbn / sherman stands with front at a bocage hedge, directly beside him is a friendly hq team and a fo team, both teams also directly at the hedge and with their front in the same direction as the tank. the tank commander looks out of the turret.

in about 500 meters straight direction / line of sight of my units / behind the hedge is a tank 4. hq and fo spot this, the tank commander from the sherman does not. not even after several rounds.

i think i read somewhere that the information flow between tank and infantry works when the commander is looking out of the turret. apparently this was not the case here. do you have any ideas? of course, i tried it at other, neighboring waypoints along the hedge. without success.

Basically, if you don't get an Icon you don't have an LOS. . Your commander needs to open his turret within thirty-two meters of a Unit which has the contact Icon inside a minute you see he will get a contact Icon and do an area fire mission if you want. Waypoints give you an idea and that is all. Here I had my best spotters in the business, but the Scimitar spotted a movement when he did his mission. Now I can call out artillery make my Snipers do some spotting etc. Your Sherman has a different C2 than your infantry he needs to do a 'Horizontal transfer of Intel. Units in the Same C2 share through a Vertical transfer this can be done by radio. 

recon.jpg

Edited by chuckdyke