Getting new PC rig, need advice on best CPU for CM

My gtx480 actually just crapped out on my this evening. I'm back on integrated graphics. Didn't make it past 2%. Hah! I thought it was all about cpu, I guess not. I think it's mostly about cpu for loading bigger maps. It's been possible for me on a i5 2500k @ 4.9ghz and a stock i5 9600k.

7 hours ago, samuraiman said:

I love the Radzy map.  But I really do want to utilize full 5.7km by 5.7km maps or larger with battalions.  Is that too much to ask?  But seriously, I would like to know the optimal PC system to run the largest battle possible.

Single core clock speed is important for CM, as the engine runs on one.

i have a 2060 super with a i9 dont get me wrong i love the game and and own 3 titles but the optimization is straight trash i read something on the forum about this and it had something to do with the engines limitations lol 

i even used msi afterburner to investigate more into this and to sum up im getting like a quarter of usage on my system 

Edited by STAGEMAN

Two ways to make CM run better (works for me):

• Launch the game after a fresh boot of the computer (doesn't hurt to weed down the number of apps that are on autostart either)
  • Use a program like "Razor Cortex" that frees up memory and shuts down unnecessary processes when the game is launched

seriously, any decent CPU will run CM well, I picked up a Ryzen 7 3700X last year with a X570 MB and it runs everything I throw at it including CM perfectly well.

A thing to remember about CM is that it has no limit...you can build a scenario that will bring any computer on earth down, imagine a 4x4 km dense urban map and several battalions on each side.

Yeah houses seriously slow performance. Maps like First Clash for CMBS work great for being 16km^2... 

I wouldnt settle for decent. I would give it the beans. Like you said CM has no limit. And I certainly saw a massive improvement going from 3.3ghz to 4.9 on my old 2500k. 

Also, I didnt know amd had compatibility issues. I'd still go team Red. Bfc will just have to drop CM3 quicker than anything else