"Greyed out" weapons

Well I know it means they won't fire.

I've seen them intermittently greyed out when the gunner says "loading".

But had one the other day where the MA and MGs were greyed out. Both had a green splodge under the spanners. Both had ammo. And despite crew casualties, the gunner was OK.

Not seen that before. Is it telling me the gunner can't load it on his own? What about the MG?

3 hours ago, Howler said:

Mind you, when crew is missing, temporarily may take longer if ever.

Well in the example from the OP that caused me to post, the guns were greyed out for at least 10-15 turns (until the game ended). But I think the normally 5-man crew was down to three. One was the gunner but all it said in the bottom left thing (whatever we call it) was "spotting". I don't think he was bothering anymore. 🤔

18 hours ago, John1966 said:

Both had a green splodge under the spanners. Both had ammo. And despite crew casualties, the gunner was OK.

Not seen that before. Is it telling me the gunner can't load it on his own? What about the MG?

What other damage was there?

If both the cannon and the Co-ax are greyed out, it suggests damage to the turret controls.

9 minutes ago, John1966 said:

You'd think it'd have been spotted by now if it was.

I'm thinking that it's to do with a 5-man crew being reduced to three. That, at least, is fairly unusual.

Missing crewmembers can cause weapons to become unavailable.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Just now, John1966 said:

Is this one? Not seen it mentioned.

Funny it's come up in two consecutive games but I've never seen it before though.

Annoying as effectively I'm a tank down.

I wouldn't know. I don't have access to their bug log... actually I have no affiliation with BFC at all.

Crew can switch places to a certain extent to keep the vehicle fighting, but there's a limit.

2 hours ago, John1966 said:

Well both tanks have a gunner listed. But, of course, I've no idea if he's the original gunner.

Perhaps he hasn't had the training...

Gunner just means that the guy is manning one of the guns. I think what happens is that the game assumes one guy can only man one gun. So he will man the biggest gun left, which will be the main gun. Leaving the MGs greyed out. 

8 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

MA = Main Armament = Main Gun?

Yes. Main Armament.

And yes, it is strange that the MA and MGs won't work when someone is listed as a gunner. If there was only a driver left, I'd understand. If a 3-man crew is less efficient, I'd understand. But I can't work out why the operable guns are inoperable.

Why is anyone even listed as the gunner? He might as well man the radio (if it's working).