Close Assault Tanks

I have a number of platoons which don't have piats but show the rifle AT icon, whatever that represents.  I'm wondering how much success players have had conducting close assautls with these types of platoons against tanks such as the Panther.  No sticky bombs or shoving grenades down the hatch like Saving Private Ryan though, ha ha.

8 hours ago, John1966 said:

If you can get close to a tank (direct them as if they were boarding it), you'd be surprised how easily they can nail a tank.

To be honest, it might be too easy.

Yeap, any Fire Team can easily KO any Vehicle within seconds just by getting within 1-2 Action-Spots (Teams marked with AT have a little better chance per cycle)...And yes, it's way too easy. 

Keep in mind, however, Inf Units can't "Follow enemy Units", and so it's much harder overall (especially if playing H2H) to actually get within that 1-2 Action Spots.

Edited by JoMc67

3 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

Keep in mind, however, Inf Units can't "Follow enemy Units", and so it's much harder overall (especially if playing H2H) to actually get within that 1-2 Action Spots.

Yeah, I just played a scenario where my British paratroopers were trying to get a King Tiger that just wouldn't stay still. Ended up with about 30+ of them literally chasing it round the corner and down the street several blocks. It was like a deadly version of Benny Hill.

On 10/31/2020 at 2:50 PM, JoMc67 said:

Yeap, any Fire Team can easily KO any Vehicle within seconds just by getting within 1-2 Action-Spots (Teams marked with AT have a little better chance per cycle)...And yes, it's way too easy. 

Yep, before your charge with the „Recon thingy“ I thought so, too. Unfortunately, in that case even 3 teams (one with a Panzerfaust) could not stop it.

On 10/31/2020 at 6:15 AM, CanuckGamer said:

I have a number of platoons which don't have piats but show the rifle AT icon, whatever that represents.  I'm wondering how much success players have had conducting close assautls with these types of platoons against tanks such as the Panther.  No sticky bombs or shoving grenades down the hatch like Saving Private Ryan though, ha ha.

Those AT rifle grenades can good when they hit the sides/rear, don't need to close assault but relatively close helps with accuracy. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your replies.  I just finished a PBEM of the Loamshires scenario in CMBN and to my surprise I got lucky and knocked out two Panthers with my 25 pounders.  One shell landed directly on top of the turret and the other landed just behind the rear of the Panther.