Do the enemy rout off the map?

Two scenarios I played recently and I couldn't find any bad guys. It appeared I'd got them all and expected a surrender that never came.

In both cases, when the victory screen came up, it said they had a number of men "OK".

But upon reviewing the map after game end, they were nowhere to be seen.

One was a tiny game in which there were supposed to be six. Last night it was medium-big and there were 22 men OK according to the screen. But there were none I could see in the map review.

Have they routed off the map? Because I'm buggered if I know where else they might be.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

It's possible that the 22 men were reinforcements that were scheduled to arrive after the end of the scenario.  This is a device used by designers to prevent early surrender.

Ah, that makes sense.

Well for one of them at least. There were exit points available so an early surrender is awkward.

You may have seen another thread I started about a scenario in which I lost the exit points for my entire force because the opposition surrendered with 45 minutes remaining.

13 hours ago, John1966 said:

Ah, that makes sense.

Well for one of them at least. There were exit points available so an early surrender is awkward.

You may have seen another thread I started about a scenario in which I lost the exit points for my entire force because the opposition surrendered with 45 minutes remaining.

You are figuring out the game's mechanics fast.....Bravo sir.  ;)

Surrendered infantry eventually raise a white flag and disappear off the map but I've never seen 22 men surrender/disappear! I've also never seen anyone stick 22 men into reinforcement limbo to keep the scenario from prematurely surrendering. Maybe 5 or 6 but 22 sounds excessive. A third possibility is there were some genuine reinforcements due to show up but never made it for some reason.

You are figuring out the game's mechanics fast.....Bravo sir.  ;)

Maybe it's the J in the picture box and the j in the name, you misread him as a 'J'unior member. I think i did the same thing when i first read the post. 😁

Edited by MikeyD

9 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I've also never seen anyone stick 22 men into reinforcement limbo to keep the scenario from prematurely surrendering.

In some of my fiddlier stuff the player has almost that number of surplus units turn up post battle, just to give him access to the vehicles he was using (in Ashsh-al-Dababir there are 21)!  ;)

See why I love balancing VPs so much!  :wacko:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I've also never seen anyone stick 22 men into reinforcement limbo to keep the scenario from prematurely surrendering.

Well that one went right to the end turn with no surrender. No opposition on the map yet went to the final turn.

I'm painfully aware that was definitely the case as I lost quite a few exit points due to, er, pathfinding issues. 😒;)

19 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Surrendered infantry eventually raise a white flag and disappear off the map but I've never seen 22 men surrender/disappear! I've also never seen anyone stick 22 men into reinforcement limbo to keep the scenario from prematurely surrendering. Maybe 5 or 6 but 22 sounds excessive. A third possibility is there were some genuine reinforcements due to show up but never made it for some reason.

You obviously haven't played any of my stuff then.  I always add a ballpark of about 1/3 of the on-map force whenever I'm designing anything that I want to go to the wire.  Most of my stuff is company and above so there'll be about a platoon of them every time.