12 years of military service in Russian Army

HUSKER2142

I apologize for my bad english.

Hi everyone, my name is Denis, I will briefly tell you about myself. I served in army RF for 12 years with 16.5 years of experience. I served in the infantry and mountain troops. He began his service as a conscript soldier, finished his service as a company commander in the rank of captain. I became an officer when I entered the officer courses and after 3 years received rank of lieutenant. I left army because of my health after being wounded, alas, with a metal rod in my leg, they write off, so I'm retired at 30 years old. I have plans to get a second higher education, I have already entered college and still want to get a flight license for an airplane. 
The Combat Mission series was introduced to me by a friend of mine in 2014, my first game was CMBN and it is my favorite part of CM. 

I am ready to answer your questions, to which I can give an answer. I will not answer provocative questions. Ask questions.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:46 PM, HUSKER2142 said:

I became an officer when I entered the officer courses and after 3 years received rank of lieutenant

What's involved in the "officer courses"? Is that a military university degree or something else entirely?

Have you played CMBS and if so, what are your thoughts? Speaking about the simulation, not the conflict of course.

Much Respect, Denis! 

I recently watched the Battle Order video on modern RF motor rifle company organization. I was surprised to learn the RPK and SVD were no longer standard issue for the infantry squad -- a single PKP was, instead. What's the doctrine behind this? Is this exclusive to motor rifles?

This is especially weird because the USMC is trying to replace belt-fed SAWs (Minimi) with mag-fed M27s (HK 416). As a Canuck, I'm used to having 2 belt-fed C9s (Minimi) per squad. The more lead going down range, the better? There's a transport with every squad, to carry ammo, anyway.

Edited by DerKommissar

On 10/1/2020 at 3:59 PM, Roter Stern said:

What's involved in the "officer courses"? Is that a military university degree or something else entirely?

Have you played CMBS and if so, what are your thoughts? Speaking about the simulation, not the conflict of course.

Yes, after graduation I received a diploma of higher education with a military and civilian specialty. 

Yes, I did, you can play interesting moments, you can use it as a teaching material for cadets. But in the field it is much better, there are too many variables that depend on people. I know that RF army uses "Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations".
But I got the impression that US Army units have a faster reaction to the enemy in the game, detect the enemy faster and are less susceptible to panic, with the same settings. Any person is always afraid when they shoot at him, even a trained soldier is afraid. Fight on TV and in reality are very different things. The same applies to armored vehicles with thermal imaging sights, my friend a tanker on a T-72B3 tank said that search for a target is carried out in a wide-angle view of sight. When target is found, time passes in order to bring the aiming mark to the target and increase the zoom of the sight, select a projectile, measure the range and only then fire a shot. In game this passes quickly enough. But the last time I played in CMBS was over a year ago, maybe they changed something with the patches.  But my favorite series Combat Mission game is Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy, has something soulful about it.

On 10/1/2020 at 5:04 PM, DerKommissar said:

Much Respect, Denis! 

I recently watched the Battle Order video on modern RF motor rifle company organization. I was surprised to learn the RPK and SVD were no longer standard issue for the infantry squad -- a single PKP was, instead. What's the doctrine behind this? Is this exclusive to motor rifles?

This is especially weird because the USMC is trying to replace belt-fed SAWs (Minimi) with mag-fed M27s (HK 416). As a Canuck, I'm used to having 2 belt-fed C9s (Minimi) per squad. The more lead going down range, the better? There's a transport with every squad, to carry ammo, anyway.

The organizational structure of company in the video has some errors. RPK machinegun was removed from the squads due to insufficient firepower,  45 charging magazine did not give the advantage that PKM / PKP machineguns give. Machinegunners in  squads do not have a second number, they carry 600 rounds of ammunition of the first stage and also a box with 440 rounds of ammunition, same box for 440 rounds is carried by the squad leader. But this is the standard ammunition. In reality, such boxes for 440 rounds are also carried by shooters as additional ammunition for machinegunner, and in addition to this, they also have their own additional ammunition. I was very surprised that US Marines abandoned M249, which is an excellent weapon for suppressing the enemy. Russian army is only going to deliver something similar to us, the only question is when.I would then send 1-2 PKM / PKP machine guns to HQ platoon , or add a 4th machine gun platoon of 2 squads.  In battle, the soldier is carried only the main ammunition and a part in placers in assault backpacks, the rest of the supply remains in the raid backpacks that remain in place and are guarded by several soldiers, they also act as assistants to the san-instructor (medic), while the rest participate in the battle. Or they are attached to the sides of combat vehicles.
By the way, RPK machine guns are still used in marine infantry in squads. But  Russian marines are now changing a lot towards expeditionary forces like in  USMC ,  units are greatly strengthened.

But with the SVD it is interesting, in company on IFV of sniper, and not marksmans. They are armed with SVD and SV-98 rifles and are better trained in special training centers. Usually 1-2 snipers are assigned to HQ platoon and same group is assigned to HQ company , for a total of 8 snipers per company. But in company on APC it is already different, they are already considered marksmans. They are armed with SVD rifles and do not undergo special training as a sniper in IFV company. But at the same time, 1-2 snipers are assigned to of HQ company. In total, there are 9 marksmans and 2 snipers in company on APC.

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

well... so much for answering the questions.

I was in class at the institute and forgot what I started to answer. I'm sorry.

Edited by HUSKER2142

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 11:34 AM, HUSKER2142 said:

I was in class at the institute and forgot what I started to answer. I'm sorry.

dont be sorry! I was disappointed because I was very interested. glad you came back! your english is excellent by the way.

Thanks for sharing. ill dream up some thoughts, im a mess now, I crashed my moped (like a small motorcycle) 2x this week and Im all f***cked up.

cheers from Boston

On 9/23/2020 at 2:46 AM, HUSKER2142 said:

I will briefly tell you about myself. I served in army RF for 12 years with 16.5 years of experience. I served in the infantry and mountain troops. He began his service as a conscript soldier, finished his service as a company commander in the rank of captain. I became an officer when

This made me a bit suspicious. First I, then he and then back to I.

Is Husker talking about himself or about someone else? Is he maybe a troll, sitting in front of his computer in the forest and trying to make us believe he's a human being and former Russian soldier?

2 hours ago, BornGinger said:

This made me a bit suspicious. First I, then he and then back to I.

Is Husker talking about himself or about someone else? Is he maybe a troll, sitting in front of his computer in the forest and trying to make us believe he's a human being and former Russian soldier?

I have bad English, I have never hidden it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 4:04 PM, HUSKER2142 said:

After pandemic, I want to learn to ride a motorcycle myself, just right for the city. Be careful next time.

its amazing, (riding - some of the best fun i ever had) i didnt break anything. but my right leg, a lot of tendons ripped. i go back to hospital soon... they dont know how many. but.. im pretty messed up lol

my right hand too.. it was the 2nd crash. both i didnt hit anything, it slid , from black ice then 2nd time was bizarre i think it was the wet roads but... idk i wasnt braking and coasting to a stop

i love it but now the back tire got messed up and I think im just putting her up for the winter.  the problems finding work because of covid are becoming really bad, and the government aid, already cut severely in july, is gonna end soon.  i may be homeless in january frankly.  ill be fine, ive been through worse. but not good times

on happier subjects even mopeds, are great for cities. but if you live anywhere in russia that has cold winters you wont be able to ride it without too much danger in the winter. the tires are too small. so if you live where winters are cold you need a proper motorcycle and to talk to someone more knowledgeable than me about how to prepare your tires for snow conditions, even then riding in ice isnt  a good idea. if you have to brake hard and stop quickly motorcycles and mopeds tend to slide way harder than cars and for you or me that = death or injury

also road rage and asshole drivers are very dangerous to you. i had a womans nylon stocking i put some metal washers in the bottom of. if someone was doing road rage stuff that could cause me to crash id 'whip' the nylon at a car window of theirs. itd swing so fast you cant see it and there window owuld shatter. theyd be shocked and confused  and id keep driving. yes thats illegal too lol

Edited by Sublime

14 hours ago, Sublime said:

on happier subjects even mopeds, are great for cities. but if you live anywhere in russia that has cold winters you wont be able to ride it without too much danger in the winter. the tires are too small. so if you live where winters are cold you need a proper motorcycle and to talk to someone more knowledgeable than me about how to prepare your tires for snow conditions, even then riding in ice isnt  a good idea. if you have to brake hard and stop quickly motorcycles and mopeds tend to slide way harder than cars and for you or me that = death or injury

I will be riding a motorcycle in late spring, all summer and early fall. In winter I will use public transport or car. It's funny, but our winters have become warmer in european zone, the last cold winter in my memory is 2007-2008. During the service, I always took vacation in the winter of december-january and came home. And I was surprised that there was very little snow and warm enough for winter -5 - 0 ° C. Sometimes there is  very heavy snowfall for a couple of days.

14 hours ago, Sublime said:

also road rage and asshole drivers are very dangerous to you. i had a womans nylon stocking i put some metal washers in the bottom of. if someone was doing road rage stuff that could cause me to crash id 'whip' the nylon at a car window of theirs. itd swing so fast you cant see it and there window owuld shatter. theyd be shocked and confused  and id keep driving. yes thats illegal too lol

Unfortunately, we also have a lot of aggressive drivers who don't like motorcyclists. I think this is a problem everywhere.

P.S. I have a small dream to travel with friends in Europe by car or in another way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 5:54 AM, HUSKER2142 said:

I will be riding a motorcycle in late spring, all summer and early fall. In winter I will use public transport or car. It's funny, but our winters have become warmer in european zone, the last cold winter in my memory is 2007-2008. During the service, I always took vacation in the winter of december-january and came home. And I was surprised that there was very little snow and warm enough for winter -5 - 0 ° C. Sometimes there is  very heavy snowfall for a couple of days.

Unfortunately, we also have a lot of aggressive drivers who don't like motorcyclists. I think this is a problem everywhere.

P.S. I have a small dream to travel with friends in Europe by car or in another way.

If you ever want to come.to america visit me in boston. Ill take ya to some clubs get ya.some women. Marijuanas legal..

Good times

On 11/16/2020 at 10:54 AM, HUSKER2142 said:

Hey.....I might meet you, but going the other way!  ;)

Was going to bring my nephew to Moscow for GPW 75th anniversary, but Covid.  :(

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead