Placed my order, couldn't stand it anymore.

D*mn that demo...

SO many hours of play...note to Battlefront developers: demo's must come with warning's printed in readme file...life nearly ruined by game...

"Valley of Trouble" scenario way too much fun...Played as American's...German '88 hidden in trees...blew two squads of engineers to hell with one shot...How I hate them 88's...

Panther tank...four Shermans shot to hell (Panther 4, Sherman's 0)...shells break up on striking hull-downed German uber-tank...too much fun...had to order...two days wait too long...must go out and get more food...change locks...call in sick from work...

(Jay...new kid on the block...opening arms, waiting to be assimilated...)

Hey everybody. This is how games should be done.

Sigh, I hear you Jay...

I spent a great deal of my weekend, well, the hours I could spare after my wife and 2.5 year old went to sleep, playing the demo.

I too had to let fly with the credit card today.

I am one with the collective...

Aloid

Welcome to the World of no Return! You can stay as long as you wish and you don't ask when you are going to leave.

"The most important all: have fun!" -- Dogbert biggrin.gif

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jay:

"Valley of Trouble" scenario way too much fun...Played as American's...German '88 hidden in trees...blew two squads of engineers to hell with one shot...How I hate them 88's...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have the time, go read the "Ultimate VOT Thread" http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/004480.html in which many versions of your story were told. It is amazing to see the variety of actions, and the consistency of reactions to things like that gun (pretty much a universal, "Holy crap!"). I will never forget the first time that gun opened up on me.

Not to take anything away from the 88, but you actually were nailed by a 150mm. Now, wait until your full version comes, and you see those falling from the sky as the big arty support arrives. Be sure to watch from view #1! Both sides get this fun though, as several times I've used American 155mm to quickly blow a nice big hole in the German MLR.

I remember a minor tragedy of war during one game of Valley of Trouble. Using the Americans, I had taken the village and was advancing up the hill, and called down artillery to stonk the last few Germans remaining, one MG in a light building in particular. I'd also moved up a Sherman to blast the MG at close range. A bit too close, actually, because when the heavies started to land there was a Clang! and I was left with an immobile Sherman. Never mind, the building with the MG was destroyed, and the one survivor from the team had his hands up. Excellent, now...time to call off that artillery before I hurt myself. Could I find the spotter anywhere? Not a sign, dead or alive. So, I gave a few other commands in the meantime, and then, forgetting about the spotter, hit "Go". Ooops! The shells come down again. The Sherman survived (no thanks to its company commander!), but my prisoner didn't, because His Supreme Forgetfulness had omitted to send him to the rear. Isn't war hell?

Thats right boys, surrender your souls to the CM god.

You now have no families got it? We are your family and we are very possesive. You WILL think about LOS while out walking or driving your car, you WILL contemplate Pbem moves while at work, you WILL read the forum religously and abide by its holy words and you WILL turn pasty white and skinny from too many hours crouched in front of your screens.You will also lose your jobs from too much time off and fail all your school assignments from lack of study....

In short, Combat Mission will kill you.....

Fun, isn't it ? smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuka:

Thats right boys, surrender your souls to the CM god.

You now have no families got it? We are your family and we are very possesive. You WILL think about LOS while out walking or driving your car, you WILL contemplate Pbem moves while at work, you WILL read the forum religously and abide by its holy words and you WILL turn pasty white and skinny from too many hours crouched in front of your screens.You will also lose your jobs from too much time off and fail all your school assignments from lack of study....

In short, Combat Mission will kill you.....

Fun, isn't it ? smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And,,,, In addtion to all those wonderful things.....

If you already use a computer at work, you can look forward to the early onset of RSI, Carpel Tunnel syndrome and (my personal favourite, for you laptop lovers) Tennis Elbow.

Because you just can't stop playing this game and/or writting about it!

smile.gif

-tom w

Supertanker - "Not to take anything away from the 88, but you actually were nailed by a 150mm."

Yes! You are correct, my mistake. I think watching "Saving Private Ryan" on DVD yesterday may have influenced my writing since they mentioned German '88s so much in that flick. smile.gif

I think, now that I have a clearer head it was actually a 155mm gun. But I'm splitting hairs...regardless of what it was it will officially be known to me as "The Engineer Smearer".

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Both sides get this fun though, as several times I've used American 155mm to quickly blow a nice big hole in the German MLR.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> And that's not even the worst of it, wait till you get hit with an 8" barrage from an offshore cruiser ... which isn't the WORST of it yet smile.gif

Joe

Oh, forgot to tell you guys how I took out the Panther...well, the Sherman's weren't effective thats for sure (well, most likely it was my usage of the Shermans more than it's ability. I didn't try and use mass tactics).

Had the Sherman bracketed on the far hill with some pretty accurate area fire from an American 150 so he wasn't moving very much. Panther was taking shots at my troops as targets bear. All Sherman tanks out of action. Ran a single bazooka dude with 2 charges (just him, his partner was a casualty) across a large open space. Got him to the hill in the woods that was next to the Panther. Good spot. The Panther had his more vulnerable side exposed to the LOS of the bazooker.

Next turn. Started to sneak the 'Zooker slowly up the hill...Panther not moving but still firing...closer...side-tank 'zook shot imminent.

The lone 'zook makes it to the crest of the hill in the woods. He squats hefting the bazooka to his shoulder. The Panther sees him! He turns...turns...turns, entire tank and main gun coming to bear. Dangit, 'Zooker...hurry up!!

My heart stops. It's a David/Goliath square off. The Panther's entire attention is now on the lone 'zooker. He lowers his main gun. It looks like the 'zooker is done for...

The 'zooker gets his first shot off. *CLANG* A front hit, but no serious damage. "Well," methinks, "That's it for you, little soldier." I contemplate a possible posthumous Medal of Honor recommendation for his bravery. But the Panther is not firing! Main gun (seemingly) stuck right down his throat but he's not firing! Check the LOS...he can't see him! I had stopped the 'zooker at the lip of the hill in the perfect spot. Any closer and the Panther would have had him dead to rights and a clean shot.

The Panther freaks! Incredibly he turns away from the hidden 'zooker and starts to run for it, exposing his vulnerable side. I can picture my little polygon soldier thinking to himself as he sees this blunder, "It's all over but the cryin'". Careful aim...*shoop*..."Hull penetration". One tank knocked out!

Give that guy a medal!

------------------

"I had accepted the fact that I was not going to live through this mission. It was as simple as that..."

- Post-mission debriefing of a B-17 pilot after the Schweinfurt raid: October 14, 1943.