Advice on embarking / disembarking

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it.

Is there a foolproof way in one turn to get:

a) a transport to arrive at a set location and drop off their passengers, which then move into cover or whatever else they may be ordered to do?  My attempts at ordering a dismount based on the last waypoint for the transport didn't seem to work as the orders were for two seperate units.

b) get passengers to meet a moving (but I suppose paused for disembarkation) transport and hop on board, after which the transport continues on its way?

I imagine pauses can do some of this but if you don't know exactly where everyone is going to be it gets a bit tricky.

1 hour ago, Vacilllator said:

a) a transport to arrive at a set location and drop off their passengers, which then move into cover or whatever else they may be ordered to do?  My attempts at ordering a dismount based on the last waypoint for the transport didn't seem to work as the orders were for two seperate units.

Yes. You just select the unit in the transport and give them a move order. They will wait till the transport arrives and stops before starting to move to that location.

1 hour ago, Vacilllator said:

b) get passengers to meet a moving (but I suppose paused for disembarkation) transport and hop on board, after which the transport continues on its way?

Yes, you can give a unit orders to move unto a moving transport. I believe the infantry will move to meet the transport at its movement end point.

Edited by Bulletpoint

@CombatintmanIn the game at the moment but in the editor would be interesting too.

@BulletpointThat sounds easy, my attempts have obviously been poorly executed 😉.  For b however sounds like it must be at the end point of the transport's move, so perhaps I was getting a little too ambitious in wanting the loaded transport to start moving again in the same turn?  Anyway, if at first you don't succeed...  Thanks, will try again.

Ok - I understand ... it is really simple as @Bulletpointsaid - give the transport as many waypoints as you like to get it to the desired end waypoint.  Select your embarked unit and just give it a suitable move order.  If you want it to assault then give it an assault order for instance and just click on the location that you want it to assault.  There is no need to bother with the disembark order.  See image below.

1173971089_InfandCarriers.thumb.jpg.1ec4650f2ff5998a0ed4b4c8724a9682.jpg

Co-ordinating that kind of shoot and scoot (or indeed, pick up the squad, drop them off and do something else) is difficult to get right, and planning to do that over the course of one set of orders is liable to end up leaving you vulnerable - if you mess up a timing then you can end up in trouble.

So, specifically:

If you give passengers a movement order in a moving vehicle, they'll wait until the vehicle stops before executing the order. This won't work for vehicles which the passengers are also crewing (some humvees, for example).

One nice trick here is that if your movement is the Assault command, the squad will pile out of the vehicle, and then half of it will run off towards the waypoint, with the other half taking up positions around the transport, and then following on. There are some situations where that's pretty useful.

If you give troops a movement order that embarks a moving vehicle, they'll wait until it stops to get onboard, in a similar way as the above. Actually co-ordinating a short stop can be tough, and is liable to end up with the passengers running out into the open if you get it wrong, so I'd suggest doing the pick up and continuation over different turns, if possible.

In general terms, you don't really want to be in a position where you need fancy embark or disembarking sequences. Your situational awareness around a transport is always pretty bad (even in a modern vehicle), and obviously the troops are vulnerable as they transition. That means that doing this safely and slowly is the better plan, even for IFVs. That often means using terrain or smoke to mask these manoeuvres.

Something to try: Open up the editor. Toss in a mounted infantry platoon (or company). Make the map about 800m x 800m. Give yourself 4 hours. Call it, "Test - Catch a Ride".

Save it, then play it. See what types of movement commands work and what don't. (Move, load. Load, move. Move, unload. Unload, move.) 

After ~30 minutes, you'll have gained a huge amount of insight into how this works and the timing involved.

10 hours ago, c3k said:

Something to try: Open up the editor. Toss in a mounted infantry platoon (or company). Make the map about 800m x 800m. Give yourself 4 hours. Call it, "Test - Catch a Ride".

Save it, then play it. See what types of movement commands work and what don't. (Move, load. Load, move. Move, unload. Unload, move.) 

After ~30 minutes, you'll have gained a huge amount of insight into how this works and the timing involved.

That's a great idea, I'll give it a try.

19 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it.

I encourage you to ask all the questions you have.  This is generally a friendly forum group.  Questions make veteran players think about the topic when replying, encourages discussions about the topic and helps to keep the forum active. For every question you ask there are probably several lurkers who have a similar question.  You assist other players by starting CM game play related topics.   Below are what I have in my notes that I update as I learn new information.      

Below is my drill for a same turn infantry dismount and then the vehicle moves. 

1. Order infantry to Dismount.1 

2. Give infantry appropriate movement order2 away from the dismount location.

3. Give vehicle appropriate movement order.

4. After Dismount is completed vehicle & infantry will go their separate ways.For

1) Dismount cannot be cancelled and must be given before any movement order or the troops will remain on the vehicle. Troops can’t Dismount from Paused vehicle but may mount. 2) After dismounting infantry will begin movement order.

Below is my drill for a same turn infantry mount and then the vehicle moves. 

1. Pause vehicle appropriate time. (5sec. per A/S Inf. must travel in open terrain)  

2. Give vehicle appropriate movement order.1

3. Fast Inf. into vehicle using one waypoint.2 (Inf. create the boarding waypoint)  

Notes: 1) Tanks with riders use Move speed regardless of movement order given. 2) Once boarding begins vehicle will wait.  If the Pause expires before boarding begins the vehicle will leave without the infantry.

3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I encourage you to ask all the questions you have.  This is generally a friendly forum group.  Questions make veteran players think about the topic when replying, encourages discussions about the topic and helps to keep the forum active. For every question you ask there are probably several lurkers who have a similar question.  You assist other players by starting CM game play related topics.   Below are what I have in my notes that I update as I learn new information.      

Below is my drill for a same turn infantry dismount and then the vehicle moves. 

1. Order infantry to Dismount.1 

2. Give infantry appropriate movement order2 away from the dismount location.

3. Give vehicle appropriate movement order.

4. After Dismount is completed vehicle & infantry will go their separate ways.For

1) Dismount cannot be cancelled and must be given before any movement order or the troops will remain on the vehicle. Troops can’t Dismount from Paused vehicle but may mount. 2) After dismounting infantry will begin movement order.

Below is my drill for a same turn infantry mount and then the vehicle moves. 

1. Pause vehicle appropriate time. (5sec. per A/S Inf. must travel in open terrain)  

2. Give vehicle appropriate movement order.1

3. Fast Inf. into vehicle using one waypoint.2 (Inf. create the boarding waypoint)  

Notes: 1) Tanks with riders use Move speed regardless of movement order given. 2) Once boarding begins vehicle will wait.  If the Pause expires before boarding begins the vehicle will leave without the infantry.

That's great info, thanks. I usually make sure I don't need same turn infantry dismount, and was given 30sec pauses for same turn mounts. So, this can make a bit of a difference! :) 

31 minutes ago, c3k said:

Real-Time and WeGo have different "rules" about loading/unloading. Try both ways of playing, and TEST everything you've been told here so you get a feel.

This is true.  I should have said, up above, my drills are based on WeGo play. 

22 hours ago, domfluff said:

If you give passengers a movement order in a moving vehicle, they'll wait until the vehicle stops before executing the order. This won't work for vehicles which the passengers are also crewing (some humvees, for example).

Note also that, for WeGo play at least, the vehicle must stop because it has reached an end waypoint.  A pause order on an earlier waypoint will not allow a disembark.