[bug] people get stuck

20 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Usually, with a MOVE command they will walk along the side of the road. (Makes for a good “moving up to the front” video.😉) But as you say, Stielalpha, over time the lightly loaded and healthy versus heavy loaded/yellow-wounded will move faster.

Yeah, in theory I know. But I have rarely seen the effect so drastically. The scenario I am playing is “CW The Mace”, where a reinforcing infantry company has to hike about 20+ minutes to the front. Probably this is a little outside the intended CM scope, therefore a “road movement” order is clearly missing.

But as @Falaise indicates: You can’t expect everything from a model....

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, John1966 said:

I just played that. Why is it called The Mace?

A search brought me here...

Hi John, I wondered, too, but your question finally made me searching. This is from Wikipedia (search for Hill 262):

„One of the few westbound roads in the area runs from Chambois through the pass, heading towards Vimoutiers and the River Seine.[31][33]Historian Michael Reynolds describes Point 262N as offering "spectacular views over much of the Falaise Pocket".[32] Viewing the feature on an Allied map, Maczek commented that it resembled a caveman's club with two bulbous heads; the Poles nicknamed it the Maczuga, Polish for "mace".[33][34] The ridge, known to the Allies as Hill 262,[5] formed a crucial blocking position for sealing the Falaise Pocket and preventing any outside attempts to relieve the German 7th Army.“

Great scenario, by the way.

9 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Great scenario, by the way.

Enjoyed it but a little strange in some ways.

*SPOILERS*

I played it as the Germans and, for an hour, it felt like I was playing two different games on the same map. The guys taking the hill and the ones doing the stuff down the bottom. Working totally separately.

Then the Polish armour turns up on the hill and you realise you have to get your Panthers up there to deal with them. I was still trying to work out how to engage the Shermans on the Knoll at the time. Of course, it's impossible to generate a distanced engagement with them (which is what you want when your Panthers are outnumbered) so you've got to do it the hard way and break cover at close range together and hope for the best (because you'll be needing most of the Panthers on the hill).

As it happened I got lucky and nailed all seven Knoll Shermans without losing a Panther.

But the main reason I mention this is the length of the engagement. Desperate to tell someone and it turns out my son is not interested (and I didn't bother telling my wife).

In a two hour game, the first armoured engagement from first to last shot was 15 seconds!

Seven Shermans left smoking after 15 seconds.

I had to rewind it several times it was so exciting to watch.

(I think there were eight Shermans in the scrap on the hill and that engagement lasted three or four minutes with a Panzerschrek team getting two)

Thank you for listening. ;)

20 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

If the son is "not interested", give 'im a clip 'round the lug'ole.

He's autistic and tried to be interested. Wandered off before I got to the end.

21 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

And try "telling the wife", or get yourself a Polish girlfriend who is into CM.

I can think of two very good reasons why she won't believe that (and neither reason involves the Polish). ;)

Interestingly enough, The Mace is German vs Polish. Well, interesting to us anyway.

24 minutes ago, John1966 said:

He's autistic and tried to be interested. 

That is a shame. I wish him well.

In the meantime, it has been years since I played this mission. Just going through my results, when I played this on Engine 2 as the Axis vs the AI I only managed a Major Victory losing three tanks in the process. My memory isn't good enough to know what you need to do to get a "Total Victory".

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

That is a shame. I wish him well.

Not a shame at all. 😀 He's a fine young man. Very clever and can an do things we can't even imagine.

But that doesn't include listening to his dad's interminable CM anecdotes. ;)

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

My memory isn't good enough to know what you need to do to get a "Total Victory".

I think I got a total victory. The Poles surrendered. All the Panthers and the Stug III survived.

I did lose the Panzer IV on the hill though.

It didn't stand a chance under the circumstances. But (as ever) it annoyed me that the Shermans who were moving spotted the stationary Panzer IV first.

And the time my ATG crew couldn't see the Stug III and King Tiger 30m in front of them that could see them. And the sniper who couldn't see the Tiger that spotted him. And innumerable times tanks feet away were invisible etc, etc.

<insert favourite outrageous LOS inconsistency you've ever seen>

;)

10 hours ago, John1966 said:

Not a shame at all. 😀 He's a fine young man. Very clever and can an do things we can't even imagine.

But that doesn't include listening to his dad's interminable CM anecdotes. ;)

I think I got a total victory. The Poles surrendered. All the Panthers and the Stug III survived.

I did lose the Panzer IV on the hill though.

It didn't stand a chance under the circumstances. But (as ever) it annoyed me that the Shermans who were moving spotted the stationary Panzer IV first.

And the time my ATG crew couldn't see the Stug III and King Tiger 30m in front of them that could see them. And the sniper who couldn't see the Tiger that spotted him. And innumerable times tanks feet away were invisible etc, etc.

<insert favourite outrageous LOS inconsistency you've ever seen>

;)

The scenario plays out quite differently for me.

Of course, I had a "perfect" plan.

On the right flank, I first took the "knoll" without opposition. Then on to the Chateau, that's where things became derailed. The Panthers cleared the Chateau from Shermans and ATG's easily enough , but my infantry was hit hard by arty and mortar and delayed. Not too bad yet, I still took the Chateau.

Being behind schedule, I raced toward the north slope. Obviously the Panthers and StuG arrived first, a platoon of infantry followed on half tracks two on foot. But unfortunately, I had missed a Sherman near the Chateau, which killed two of the half tracks. I sent one Panther back to quickly despatch the Sherman, but now I had one Panther less up front.

Becoming frustrated from waiting, I moved the other Panthers and the StuG through the woods. The StuG soon was immobilzed by hand granades and I decided to race through with the Panthers. That worked nicely, until they ran into an ambush of  three Shermans. Only one of three Panthers returned, luckily just in time to spoil a counter attack at the north slope victory point area. Meanwhile my infantry had moved up and secured half of the north slope VP area.

Earlier, I decided to move the fourth Panther along the road on the north edge, hoping to contest the north east slope victory point area in the end game. Worked nicely, until it was killed (just tooday) by a Sherman lurking in the orchards.

On the left flank, I had the plan to just pin the oppo force in the north east VP area with the Pz IV and an infantry company. Stupid enough, I was drawn into a fight, lost two Pz IV and a counter attack smashed my infantry. Panzerfaust's and the remaining Pz IV's stopped the counter attack, but the left front is now in some sort of stalemate.

We have still 30 minutes to go and my final plan is "hold out and hope for the best".

So, all in all: A lot of movement, some hot action, some nice achievements, some bad failures. Not too shabby for a CM scenario. 🙂

Ah, I forgot to say: I am playing "The Mace" PBEM.

Re the "story telling": Yep, sounds familiar. My wife would not care to listen through this tale either, but I keep trying. 😉

49 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

On the right flank, I first took the "knoll" without opposition.

Sounds like I was going slower than you as it was occupied by seven Shermans plus infantry when I got there...

50 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Ah, I forgot to say: I am playing "The Mace" PBEM.

... or more likely your human opponent played it very differently to the AI plan (that I was playing against).

Never got to the far end of the slope as the Polish surrender made it redundant but I think I just about about had enough time left.