Why did I have to cease fire?

The technique of having reinforcements that may even arrive after the scenario time limit is reached is a way to stop the AI surrendering "prematurely".  Players used to complain that the game would end abruptly just as they were about to execute their wonderful final assault plan and it was a let down - like coitus interruptus.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

The technique of having reinforcements that may even arrive after the scenario time limit is reached is a way to stop the AI surrendering "prematurely". 

The AI has a pretty good sense of self evaluation I think. Usually by the time the AI offers me a surrender I tend to examine its remaining assets and manpower and really most of the time I feel that it made the call at the right time. Usually but not always it seems to favor the presence of at least one unbroken formation of troops with a functional command link running up to the Company/Battalion commander, whoever is present. Usually when scenarios seem to be going on too long it has more to do with the lack of tools on the player's end than what the AI has. Just what I see. 

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Players used to complain that the game would end abruptly just as they were about to execute their wonderful final assault plan and it was a let down - like coitus interruptus.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Scenarios often have other points-earning parameters besides terrain objectives. For some scenarios the terrain objective points are a token amount (an excuse to get you from one side of the map to the other) and you rack up the big points in killing-killing-killing!