MOD Suggestion: New explosion graphics...

...without the goofy expanding dome thingie.

I was taking some screenshots of Defs planes blowing the hell out of my tanks, and I ended up using a frame that was not as nice because I wanted to get something without those silly looking expanding force field looking objects.

With the nice explosions out there, the translucent half dome really takes away from the visual appeal, IMO.

Anyone out there up to modifying one of the third-party explosion graphics to remove that?

Jeff Heidman

Is that the "original" explosion dome you're referring to? If yes, I believe that one is hard-coded.

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

Yep, Juju is correct. The transparent dome is the original graphic and is hard-coded. Same for the white transparent sphere around tank gun shots. However, I think the fire diamond within a tank shot is modable. I can't recall the bmps, but I remember seeing some bmps that I couldn't quite figure out what they were for, but now after thinking about it, I think that's what they're for.

Wrong again, Rob. frown.gif Please be a little more informed next time.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

Why do i get the feeling someone coded that thing and then decided it was going to be used, regardless of whether it made sense?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because Matt or someone at BTS told us so. I think that was precisely the reason it's in the game.

there's three bmp's 1204,1205,1206, that look like flame of some sort,I'm pretty sure they aren't part of the explosion bmp's.Maybe these are the one's for the fire diamond or they could be for the flamethrowers.

Jeff,

I believe what you are referring to is the graphical representation of the explosion's shockwave. It is useful and allows whoever is suffering the blast to get a feel on how far from the explosion's epicenter they must go to check for casualties. I believe you'll find that the game's creators are quite fond of the current shockwave's appearance, and so are most of us.

Your best bet would be to request the option to turn this off in CM2, and hope someone hears.

Just my .02

Clubfoot.

Guest Rollstoy

Has anybody checked out the explosions in B17 II? I do not have the game (and there is apparently no demo), but they seem to look interesting ... I wonder how they are done.

Regards,

Thomm

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

Jeff,

I believe what you are referring to is the graphical representation of the explosion's shockwave. It is useful and allows whoever is suffering the blast to get a feel on how far from the explosion's epicenter they must go to check for casualties. I believe you'll find that the game's creators are quite fond of the current shockwave's appearance, and so are most of us.

Your best bet would be to request the option to turn this off in CM2, and hope someone hears.

Just my .02

Clubfoot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who needs a "graphical representation of the explosions shockwave"? For one, I do not think I have ever seen a casualty anywhere near as far as that thing goes, and secondly, it is totally unrealistic. It ruins the effect of the great graphics in this game.

It's 6th grade eye cany. we might as well have some "Kerpow!", "Zing!", "Wammy!" text appearing when people shoot.

The great thing about this game is its immersiveness. When I am watching a particularly tense movie, seeing this dome appear over falling rubble or an exploding bomb just ruins the entire effect, simply because I *know* that it would never actually happen.

The game is good enough that it does not need cheesy additions to get someone attention.

This, of course, is simply my opinion. if you like the flashy, goofy floating dome thingie, more power to you.

Jeff Heidman

Who needs a "graphical representation of the explosions shockwave"? For one, I do not think I have ever seen a casualty anywhere near as far as that thing goes, and secondly, it is totally unrealistic. It ruins the effect of the great graphics in this game.

It's 6th grade eye cany. we might as well have some "Kerpow!", "Zing!", "Wammy!" text appearing when people shoot.

The great thing about this game is its immersiveness. When I am watching a particularly tense movie, seeing this dome appear over falling rubble or an exploding bomb just ruins the entire effect, simply because I *know* that it would never actually happen.

The game is good enough that it does not need cheesy additions to get someone attention.

This, of course, is simply my opinion. if you like the flashy, goofy floating dome thingie, more power to you.

Jeff Heidman

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I believe that under many atmospheric conditions you CAN see the pressue wave of an explosion. Also the larger the explosion, the more pronounced the effect. There's a similar effect when an aircraft goes supersonic. The pressure wave causes the moisture in the air to condense and the plane appears to poke through a cone of "mist". Now, it's possible that the actual implementation of the pressure wave graphic is too "cartoon-y", but that's a different issue than from whether or not it should exist at all.

Gordon

Not a physicist, but I play one on TV.

we might as well have some "Kerpow!", "Zing!", "Wammy!" text appearing when people shoot.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that'd be pretty funny wink.gif

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

So we have one person asking for the expanding bubble to be removed, and another basically asking that the bubble be made to act like smoke and stick around longer. smile.gif I really guess I don't get the issue. Shockwaves are visible, they carry dust with them as they spread out, or disturb the air through which they pass. It's not eye candy in the negative connotation which is how you're using it, but I think it is a delightful touch. To the man who wants 2 rounds of dust clouds... I don't know, the rubble blocks LOS pretty much, so just pretend that there's cloud there too smile.gif I think the fact that some people want more 'eye candy' and some want less means that BTS got the balance pretty close to correct... now if only knocked out vehicles blocked LOS...

Cheers,

Walter R. Strapps

I have seen pressure waves from explosions, and they look absolutely NOTHING like what we see in CM.

For one, they are very, very fast. They look more like a ripple than a translucent, slowly expanding dome. Almost instantaneous. If CM had one of those (sometimes), that would be cool.

Jeff Heidman

I have seen men run across a field, and they look absolutely NOTHING like what we see in CM.

For one, they are very, very different from each other and do not run in unison and when there are 12 men there ARE REALLY 12 men.

Perhaps both of these phenomenom can fall under the catch-word 'representative'? smile.gif

Cheers,

Walter R. Strapps

I was watching some bombing footage from Vietnam this weekend and did notice the pressure waves clearly from the detonations. While the dome may look a little too clean, it does "represent" exactly what occurs when a bomb or shell explodes on the ground (and I have had losses or at least suppression of men within the range of the pressure wave).

Under almost all atmospheric conditions you can see the shock wave moving out from an explosion.

Not to get to technical, but as the compression wave moves out from the explosion it "squeezes" the moisture out of the air, like squeezing a sponge. when the wave passes, the air expands again, and like a sponge, sucks the moisture back in. so the bubble moves with the compression wave.

Now, why it is black, I don't know. :^) And why it is seen when a gun fires, I don't know...

I think it would be kind nice to just have the ground around the barrel of the tank kick up dust. Depending on the weather of course.

I wouldn't waste time complaining about it though... but then it doesn't really bother me.

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JAZZA:

there's three bmp's 1204,1205,1206, that look like flame of some sort,I'm pretty sure they aren't part of the explosion bmp's.Maybe these are the one's for the fire diamond or they could be for the flamethrowers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I meant. Either the fire diamond or the flamethrowers which I didn't even think of. redface.gif

Actually I think those graphics could be a little redder. Anybody think they could redden it up a bit. I have some filters that could automatically apply to them, but I'm not sure how'd they look.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Walter:

I have seen men run across a field, and they look absolutely NOTHING like what we see in CM.

For one, they are very, very different from each other and do not run in unison and when there are 12 men there ARE REALLY 12 men.

Perhaps both of these phenomenom can fall under the catch-word 'representative'? smile.gif

Cheers,

Walter R. Strapps<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to be argumentative, but you analogy is rather suspect.

The squad representation is necessary because we would have no other way of controlling the men. It is a necessary abstraction.

The shock wave that looks nothing like a shock wave is just eye candy. There is nothing wrong with eye candy, but when it detracts from the immersivenes instead of adding to it, it is distracting. And eye-candy that is there only for the sake of the "oooh-ahhh" factor despite the fact that it is not remotely realistic is definitely distracting to anyone who knows better.

Are people actually arguing that the shockwave they see in CM looks *anything* like that you see when an actual bomb falls? I do not think you would even recognize it as something supposedy looking like a shockwave except for its context.

I am amazed that people actually seem to *like* some goofy looking thing like this. Or is this just natural aversion to suggesting that something in CM is not as realstic as one would like? I notice that nobody has yet to actually argue that the half-dome looks anything like a shockwave.

The reason this all came up was an effort to get some rather nice screenshots of a fighter bombing one of my tanks. The shots look outstanding once the "shockwave" disperses, but silly with it in there. If I had web space I would post the image and let people see...

Jeff Heidman

Jeff Heidman,

With all due respect...were you around before the Gold Demo v1.02?

If not, then these domes were all we had before the v1.01 patch. Yes, the v1.01 patch to the full game which came out even as the first shipment was being shipped.

And as for the fire and smoke graphics...you should have been around for the Beta Demo. Believe me, these areas have come alot way since then.

Check this picture out for the Beta Smoke. And this picture for pre-v1.01 explosions.

I do not get your point when you say explosions are goofy. Why do you say it is slowly expanding ? It expands fast enough on my computer.

The shockwave is just as realisic as anything in CM. Just look at an artillery barrage from the topmost view. It looks exactly like bomber runs in WW2 footage.

You perhaps point to the slowly expanding dome when builings shatter. This is not an explosion. It is the dust cloud. Pretty good effect, but could last longer.

Well, unfortunately there are limitations to the atmospheric effects which BTS (or anyone) is able to program. Personally, using low-quality smoke, these 'domes' are all I see and they don't strike me as odd. (They become more transparent with high-quality smoke.) As for them being slow, I think you only get this impression if you sit and look at them too long. They look fast to me.

I'm sure we'd all like CM to be more visually realistic. It's easy enough to say "Hey, those explosions look a bit funny", but how would you go about changing them? Realistic effects would doubtlessly be a nightmare to program, and would probably be beyond the capabilities of even the latest video cards.

CM was never supposed to generate realistic battle shots for you to take pictures of. If the explosions were 'fixed', I can guarantee that something else would start to look suspect. Until the game is 100% realistic, which it never will be, there will always be something which doesn't seem right.

Polar wrote:

> [...] so the bubble moves with the compression wave.

> Now, why it is black, I don't know.

It's not supposed to be, but I've heard about this plenty of times before. It's either a video card or a drivers issue – can't help you any further than that though. =)

David

button.gif

[This message has been edited by David Aitken (edited 12-18-2000).]