Stuarts vs.Tigers: A ridiculous scenario from a complete newbie

As a newbie with obviously too much time on his hands----here is the scenario I devised. (Its purpose was to see how many Stuarts it would take to knock out three Tigers.

I started with a flat terrain. In the middle I put an irregular grouping of buldings of varying sizes and masonry strength. The victory flag was in a small courtyard in the middle of this ramshackle village. I added other buildings and dense foilage along a north-south axis so there would be only limited LOS from east to west map edges.

I started with unit parameters of three concealed Stuart tanks on the western side of the village to face three AI controlled King Tigers. I played this scenario repeatedly, each time editing it with an additional Stuart until I was able to take out all three Tigers.

Now would anyone like to guess how many Stuarts I needed to play this scenario to victory by disabling all three Tigers. Hint: it wasn't three---sheesh. Remember this was by a newbie with little knowledge of tactics and each scenario limited to 25 turns.

Just a slight clarification on my previous posts to this thread. In the Beyond Overlord version of CM, I often found that Tigers were vulnerable frontally to the Stuarts 37mm main gun. If memory serves, the message read something like, "Front penetration at weak point" and the Tiger was toast. Barbarossa to Berlin and Afrika Korps seemed to rectify this disturbingly common occurrence.

I'm sure if you did a search on the Beyond Overlord forum, you would find several threads dealing with this peculiarity.

Good luck!

Then I believe it was a better and less expensive choice to have an half squad of paratroopers Run or Assault each beast, jumping on it as in Private Ryan, of course armed with the 'sticky bombs', but only if they had been wearing soccers... :D

If you ask me, that part of the movie was quite as the 'assault on fort Apache', and not 'the Alamo', and what about 'Steamboat Willie'? Sure enough he was there grinning and shooting at the heart of Cpt.Miller, a +3 ASL cardboard... but I liked the movie anyway!

Stuarts Honeys are KV1 if you compare them with those darn Italian tin boxes: at least they have a high speed cannon... If you play the 'Ariete the Ram' scenario you understand what I mean: a single Valentine can advance to 20 meters from AT guns or so called Italian tanks, and they can just exhaust their ammos almost without making any damage on it!

Excellent question. 3 survived, so 23 were taken out.
Man. I wish the guy who made the Villers-Bocage operation had read this thread beforehand. As the Allies, I was given something like forty cromwell VIIs, fireflies, Stuarts, and shermans to take out maybe eight tigers and seven panzer IVs. And I was the defender. In hedgerow country. Can you guess what happened?

If you guessed, "stuck six tanks in each keyhole position--of which there were at least half a dozen perfectly positioned on the only possible lines of advance--and butchered the axis tanks as they advanced, achieving a better than 1-1 kill ratio", you were correct.

I have to say, this Wild Bill Wilder fellow really hasn't been impressing me with his scenario design--no offense to him if he reads this, of course.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Moronic Max:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Excellent question. 3 survived, so 23 were taken out.

Man. I wish the guy who made the Villers-Bocage operation had read this thread beforehand. As the Allies, I was given something like forty cromwell VIIs, fireflies, Stuarts, and shermans to take out maybe eight tigers and seven panzer IVs. And I was the defender. In hedgerow country. Can you guess what happened?

If you guessed, "stuck six tanks in each keyhole position--of which there were at least half a dozen perfectly positioned on the only possible lines of advance--and butchered the axis tanks as they advanced, achieving a better than 1-1 kill ratio", you were correct.

I have to say, this Wild Bill Wilder fellow really hasn't been impressing me with his scenario design--no offense to him if he reads this, of course. </font>