Atomic Games has shut down

Thought this might be of interest to this group:

The developer of the Close Combat series of strategy wargames lays off its entire staff

http://www.zdnet.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2663819,00.html

Sorry everybody, I see this was already mentioned here a couple days ago. Thought it was breaking news and posted it here without searching. Similar to my unfortunate tendancy to roll my armor out without searching first. Their burning hulls make nice smoke screens for the rest of my troops, sure to arrive a couple minutes later redface.gif

[This message has been edited by dumrox (edited 12-14-2000).]

well go figure.. Mr.Gates buys into anything the companies will eventually collapes and break up... you see Micro$oft has an ability to hinder the thinking and creativity of designers and programers that eventually they make crapy games that no one wants to buy anymore.. thus the layoffs. I fear its the grey cloud of big brother has eaten another computer game company and sucked them dry only to throw them away when he is finished...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergei:

Actually, Close Combat 3 was the last Atomic Games title published by Microsoft. Close Combat IV and V were published by SSI.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ooh.. but you see they were tainted by M$ and that like a cancer grows and festers like a burning feeling one gets when your Jagdpanther gets taken out by a stuart at 600m frontal.

--------

Der Kessel Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

What does Atomic expect? They take out the battlemaker in their games so you can't make your own maps anymore. This stifles online play and makes people go back to cc2 and Real Red CC3 with 3rd party mod maps. What the hell do they expect to happen? I'd love to know what advantage they thought they were giving themselves by doing this?

------------------

Youth is wasted on the young.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mensch:

well go figure.. Mr.Gates buys into anything the companies will eventually collapes and break up... you see Micro$oft has an ability to hinder the thinking and creativity of designers and programers that eventually they make crapy games that no one wants to buy anymore.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the one bright spot in the Microsoft firmament was their games. Don't they usually get released on time, work right and often win awards?

I'd agree with you, Terence. Much as I hate Microsoft for their unscrupulous business practices and arrogant attitude, I must admit that the money that MS has put into their game division has been money well spent as far as us gamers are concerned. I believe they even have a Games Research lab where they study why games are fun, what fun is, etc etc. Normally I would be against this, it's too much like producers figuring out what the formula is for having a "hit". But for the moment it seems to be paying dividends. A game like Allegiance, for example, is chock full of bright, innovative game ideas.

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

I have to say Atomic deserved their fate. They cannot even write a freakin' path-finding algorithm. Their games were consecutively getting worse and worse. Gamers prayed for a Pacific setting or a Vietnam setting to no avail.

And who cares anyway? We have Combat Mission which is a zillion times better.

Aaaahhh. Darwin's Wargame Natural Selection laws are at work. If there's a game out there you can't beat, you fizzle and die. Big Time Software is heading for the top of the food chain in my opinion! Long live Combat Mission!

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

Atomic Games situation is ATomic's fault, not Microsoft's. If anything, the best of the CC series was under the Microsoft label. But guess what happens when a company keeps milking the same engine for over five years and only makes minor, superficial changes and yet still refuses to listen to the desires of the people who buy their games? I loved CC2 but after that, the series went down the toilet. Close Combat became Clone Combat as the reincarnations after CC2 were nothing really new. Then on top of that, they really diluted the game but taking any sense of historical realism out as well as replayablity. Their switch to this battlegroup formula was the last straw for me. Compared to CM, the CC series was lame. Atomic's attitude towards fans of this series was at best unresponsive and they would give the lamest reasons for not improving their game. At other times, they seemed downright hostile. With that attitude and the lack of real improvments in the CC series, ATomic's closing was only a matter of time.

Guest MantaRay

Why is it that people are so anti-MS? For all of the bad stuuf they have done, they have also done a bit to advance the industry. And why does everyone blame Bill Gates? He is a go-getter...who went out and got. So what if he has that Hitler/Napolean stature thing going on. If he played on the Rugged Defense ladder, he would be ranked #1.

I still dont understand why people love the underdog, but hate the victor.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Teamski:

Aaaahhh. Darwin's Wargame Natural Selection laws are at work. If there's a game out there you can't beat, you fizzle and die. Big Time Software is heading for the top of the food chain in my opinion! Long live Combat Mission!

-Ski

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HEAR HEAR :P

[This message has been edited by Dogface (edited 12-15-2000).]