Kelly's Heroes

Does the DVD have 5 view levels and zoom? I can't watch combat footage anymore if it's not in CM format smile.gif

I'll have to order it. My DVD collection will include Kelly's Heros, A Bridge Too Far, Saving Private Ryan, Stalingrad, and Gallipoli. I think a pattern is developing.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

...is available on DVD. Just recieved my copy <-- Smilies removed for Mr Peng<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I just received my copy too. Looks like you can't use any of the tactics from that movie in our PBEM.

------------------

No smilies were harmed in the making of this post.

And don't forget,,, "Catching some rays"

I agree that its a great film...

I also like "A BRIDGE TOO FAR..."

God how many great actors in that one...

But "DAS BOOT" is great on DVD... For all the fans of the Kriegsmarine...

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.

hehe, I rented Kelly's Heroes just yesterday since you were all praising it. Great movie. I called the local video store and they dont have a Bridge Too Far!? (Too lazy to ask for a drive to the farther video stores). Damn, and I just missed the movie on the History Channel few days ago. Oh well Ill just rent Haburger Hill, I heard thats a good one!

------------------

¤§ïѤ

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Oh well Ill just rent Haburger Hill, I heard thats a good one!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hamburger Hill I thought wasn't very good, especially coming on the heels of Platoon. Hamburger Hill seemed to have more to do with the previous generation of war films. It had much more of the WWII style where the soldiers were all pretty boys or gross caricatures. The rhythm of the movie resembled a boxing match with the soldiers rushing up the hill one day and then running back down and the next day doing the same. I thought a girl should come out holding a placard "Round 1 ... Round 2". Since I didn't believe the characters one bit I didn't believe in the battle. It may have been based upon a true event but it felt fake. I haven't seen it since it first came out, however, so perhaps it's better than I remember.

Tommi sez:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Saw the film again some time ago. I noticed that one of the Germans in it committed a pretty serious etiquette mistake. Now, ten points for the one who first points it out.

- Tommi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would that be the during the attack on the railroad yard when one of the German soldiers looks right at the camera?

Ummm I don't lose any points if I'm wrong do I?

Cardinal Fang

Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition!

OsinO,

I take it you haven't seen a lot of the old war movies...

You should look for a copy of "the longest day".

Good movie, about 3 hours I think. Black and white.

"A Bridge to Far" is my personal fav.

For hollywood movies, I like "guns of Naveron(sp)" and where eagles dare.

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

Disaster@work, are you sure that the movie is that bad? Good thing i didnt rent it yet... Does anyone else have an opinion on Hamburger Hill?

Lorak,

Thx for the info, but is The Longest Day really that good? I mean its from the 50's (dont get me wrong, I know they still made good movies), I just dont like the old black and white movies where the battle scenes would look gay and stuff wink.gif Eg: A guy gets shot and he grabs his chest (so fake) and topples over, no blood no noting biggrin.gif

Is it like that? hehe

------------------

¤§ïѤ

Clint Eastwood and Donald Sutherland were on Jay Leno Tuesday night and Jay mentioned Kelly's Heroes. They were fielding questions from the audience, and I was waiting for someone to ask Sutherland to say, "It's a mother-beautiful bridge, and its gonna be THERE!" But it didn't happen.

"When Trumpets Fade" is the best Hollywood movie about euro-WWII that doesn't feature Private Ryan, in a long time, by a long shot.

I HATE the trite and anachronistic Kelly's Heroes. And I hate MASH-the-TV-series. And Thin Red Line, too.

There. I've said it (again) and I'm glad.

DISCLAIMER: With all due respects, etc., etc..., no you didn't ask for my opinion, yes I'm posting to the thread with its name, yes that's how I really feel, yes it is a question of personal taste, and no I won't bite Matt. And yes, that's how I really feel, and if I wanted a life I would get one, and I have, but those are still things that I hate. And I am not an excessively hateful person and have recently been measured at a mere hate level of 23 with a recently-calibrated Pengometer.

The above does not construe an endorsement of this post or of the sentiments expressed therein, by Peng, pods, nor any reasonable facsimile thereof, nor the validity of Pengometrification, which is intended only as a guideline.

Have a nice day! smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OsinO:

Disaster@work, are you sure that the movie is that bad? Good thing i didnt rent it yet... Does anyone else have an opinion on Hamburger Hill? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost every movie is worth renting once, OsinO. Go see it for yourself. It wasn't an insult but I don't remember it as being all that good. I think the part that bothered me was the lack of movement. In most movies the characters have to change or there should be a story that evokes change but in this one it seemed that it was just relentless.

By the way, the Longest Day is very good. No there isn't any blood or heads being split in two or the like. But it is good history and shows stuff never covered by any other movies. Sure SPR is the best when it comes to the landing itself, but there is other stuff that happened.

Some of my favorite war movies:

(1) "Hell in Pacific" - Strange ending ...

(2) "The Great Escape" - Nice scenery and good story ...

(3) "The Bridge over the River Kwai" - A psychological battle between British prisoners of war and the soldiers of a Japanese prison camp ...

(4) "Hamburger Hill" - The social interaction between the soldiers in a US Army platoon in Vietnam ...

(5) "Platoon" - Conflicts between rednecks and dopeheads in a platoon during the Vietnam War ...

(6) "The Green Beret" - Not a bad Wayne film, dated

These are just a few classics.

Strat