Steel Panthers World At War

For those of you out there that don't know this, Matrix Games ( www.matrixgames.com ) is giving away this game for free. All you have to do is download it. It is a WW2 game with apparently some authenticity (dunno). So, two things:

1) Has anyone played? Is it any good?

2) If it is good, it might be something we can play to hold us over until CM comes out.

TeAcH

I am a big fan of the Steel Panthers series, and am enjoying SPWAW very much.

I just played a North Africa scenario called

"Knightsbridge" based on the actual engagement. I played Brits against the AI Germans. It was a slugfest of a game, heavy losses on both sides. In the end the Germans came out with a marginal victory. Not sure but I may have done slightly better then the U.K. forces historically did. The AI does seem to be improved a little bit, or I could be a little rusty or both. Anyway I like it.. I am on to Kursk for my next battle. When I get CM I will probably split time with both games. smile.gif

I was a fan of Steel Panthers for many years. I think MATRIX Games did a wonderful job with SPWAW. I'm afraid I'm a bit burned out on the series. Did just about everything that could be done with the game. CM it's not, but it is the apex of squad level, I go - you go hex type wargaming.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

Guest MantaRay

Honestly, I think that SPW@W was just a bit late. If they had developed it before CM beta demo, I would have liked it. With TOAW and CM, Sp is not ever going to be near the hard drive again.

Just my opinion.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

SP W@W is a fine game. I have loved SP for a while. I would play SP W@W everyday until CM comes out if it had TCP/IP. I can't believe they didn't include it. It is the only reason I even played SP3.

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

Honestly, I downloaded it the day it came out and only played it a couple of times. Just got frustrated with its "gamey" play. A couple of weeks ago, I deleted the whole thing. (The 280MB zip file and the 300 some-odd MB game and freed up a half of Gig) biggrin.gif

It just doesn't hold a candle to CM, even with CM's limited theater and time period. For one thing the LOS calculations are horrendous.

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."